Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To HotO or not to HotO...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Talon0835, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

To HotO or not to HotO...

I'm using an Occulus right now but I'm thinking about switching to a Heart of the Oak. Vex would be easy to get for me and I have a 4 socket flail handy. Do you think it's worth it?

2. jylegajylan

jylegajylan Banned

occy > hoto if u ask me, esp if ur mf sorc. but i don't like its annyoing tele, then again, ur merc should b tanking

3. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

i dont even see why sorc use it, if u ask me these ppl are just sheep, occy has +20%def, resist, 40 in stats, 25%to cast telly(witch is both good&bad).

occy>hoto deaths fathom>all sorc orbs or hoto(if u use cold)

Hoto only has good use on casters of other classes

just my 2 cent :)

4. Shenn

Shenn Banned

HEY!! Lets go BM and summon OAK SAGE :)

5. this_barb

this_barb IncGamers Member

the oak sage can tank like... 2 hits in hell, so its not really bm and when your dueling it doesnt give much of a bonus and even if it does, a lvl 1 sorc with a short sword can kill it in 1 hit :D.

6. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

He meant the life boost...but the AI's stupid so it's useless. I dunno, stats or the Mana boost amongst other things...

7. Shenn

Shenn Banned

But..... I was thiking of SUPER BM! Using teleport with it so it always follows you! Wont be that bad...Im srry man...I was thinking of SUPER BM!

8. justkidding199

justkidding199 IncGamers Member

I really can't tell why occy is better than HoTo...'cause Hoto has a bunch of better stuff like 40% fast cast, 30-40 all res, life replenish, oak sage, etc...

9. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Heart of the Oak
    'KoVexPulThul'
    Required Dexterity/Strenght/Level: 35 / 41 / 55
    +10 to Dexterity
    All Resistances +40
    Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
    7% Mana stolen per hit
    Replenish Life +20
    Increase Maximum Mana 15%
    40% Faster Cast Rate
    75% Damage to Demons
    150% Damage to Undead
    +100 to Attack Rating against Demons
    +3 to All Skill Levels
    Level 4 Oak Sage (25/25 Charges)
    Level 14 Raven (60/60 Charges)

The Oculus
    Required Level: 42
    +20 to Energy
    +20 to Vitality
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +20
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
    30% Faster Cast Rate
    +5 to Mana After Each Kill
    25% Chance to cast Level 1 Teleport when struck

Ok, so first of all:
    Requirements: Oculus beats HotO hands down there, no questions remaining.
    Skills: one gives +3 all, one +3 sorc skills, even match for a sorc
    Fcr: +10% for HotO
    Resistances: +20% for HotO
    Mana: +15% on HotO, +20 Nrg & +5/kill on Oculus. I'd say this one goes for HotO too.
    Life: +20 replenish on HotO, +20 vit on Oculus. Definitely for Oculus.
    MF: +50% for Oculus

As for the rest? None of those are useful for sorcs. Sure defense helps, but you're not supposed to tank anyway, thus you want to stay clear from harms way. This leads to the major thing here: 25% chance of being teleported randomly when struck. Can you say voluntary suicide?

So in other words, is 50%MF worth dying for? I don't think it is. On another thought, where do I get that 50%MF? HotO has 20% more resistances, this means your helm can have Ptopaz instead of Um, you can use MF charms instead of resist charms. The conclusion: difference for MF:ing isn't that big
    either.

Now, to make that comparison even more unfair to Oculus, let's take in the other characters. What if at some point you wish to create a more powerful MF character than the sorceress, say for example a hammerdin? Oculus is unuseable for that guy, HotO is the dream weapon there.

So, let me ask the question again, is HotO better than Oculus? Personally I'd never use Oculus in HC for example, nor would I use it if I'd have HotO for that character. To me the Oculus looks to be more like a poor mans Heart of the Oak. But I guess that's just me, afterall, it doesn't matter if you randomly teleport into even bigger mob of archers and die. It's only experience right?

10. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Imho, HotO is a better weapon for an experienced sorc player, who's not mf'ing or has a switch for the kill, because of the extra resistance and no random teleporting. However, the 50% mf is not easily dismissed if you're area mf'ing (think about the full tal set, though - good balance between resists, skills and mf). And for a relative beginner in sorcs, the random teleport will save you as often as if not more than it will bring you in danger.

11. Tarod

Tarod IncGamers Member

Borlag :
    I mostly agree with your analysis except :

* +10 dex = +10 Vit if you go for maxblock. Having seen my non-block 2.5k lifepool sorces being repeatedly headshot, and having also seen my 900 lifepool 75% block sorcs standing ground in pvp/heavy hitter melee monsters, I have no doubt remaining concerning the usufulness of the block.

* 20% defense *is* useful. It can make the difference between being hit or not. And no matter "how-good-teleporter-you-are-you-never-get-the-chance-to-be-it", take a ride outside Harrogath in hell with a bunch of fanatic arrow-spitter skeletons, you'll see that you *get* hit, and you get hit hard.

* The difference between +20 vit and +20 replenish is not that clear (even more if you consider that it's +20vit against +10vit+20replenish.). 10vit = 20 hp is not that much, and if you are cautions, have a good manashield, a good defense and a good block rate, the replenish life can be enough to keep you at max life almost any time.

That being added, my own conclusion is that if you are not mfing, there is absolutely no match : Heart is utterly better than Occulus. If you are Softcore and Mfing, I'll definetely recommend Occulus+Tal Armor/Belt/Amu.

Tarod

12. xAnjelofLytex

xAnjelofLytex IncGamers Member

I agree with Borlag. My Pvp sorc is using a 39%HOTO right now, and i love it.
    Occy is a great sorc orb but i think the strengths it has on HOTO are negated.

If you are lookin for cheap but effective, then go with occy. That means you can save your Vex for somethin else (or give it to me : :D ).

If you want pure efficency, then i would go with HOTO. Besides, the +20vit on Occy isn't going to add enough life if you in a tough duel or nearly dead vs Meph or w/e. At least for me it doesn't. Personally, I think life is only worth getting more of if its in quantities of 500+. Just my opinion..

Besides, a sorc with a flail just looks awesome. :) (<----points to his avatar)

Enjoy.