Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To hell with me?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Nerigazh, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Nerigazh

Nerigazh IncGamers Member

To hell with me?

Well, I'm not super sure where to post this, as I'm a necro, single player, and a noob, and so there's at least 3 forums that'd be possible.

But anyway, I just beat Baal on NM for the first time (yay!) and I'd like to evaluate my progress. I'm a level 68 Fishymancer (seems to be a good build for my inexperienced self), have RS, SM, and CE maxed with some points in Revive and SR. Right now I'm using a +3 summon wand, Whitston's with a PDiamond, a +1 skills circlet and ammy, chance guards, nagelring, some PTopaz armor, and waterwalk boots. I'm pretty happy with my gear so far, but I'm concerned about resists in Hell. Stat-wise I'm base 180 vit and 95 dex for some blocking, with a few pts in str and energy and about 20 saved up.

So I'm just wondering if I'm ready to keep plowing ahead, or should I wait a bit and make some NM item runs first?

Any advice appreciated :)

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I know the idea of a Fishy is that you can play naked - no offence meant, I don't actually mean you without clothes, yes? - but I like to have at least positive resists.

What curses do you have? I mainly use amp/decrep/attract but it's nice to have 1pt in each once the main skills have been maxed.

I know Frosty will wander in a minute and say mages, but I hope I can type Revives before he does that. Personally I don't mages, he does.

Personally, I would level doing Baal runs more. And make a decision about block. Use the block calculator to decide if you can get max block with your preferred shield and if not, dump those points in vit. Points in energy aren't worth it. Unless there's mana rationing in the near future. :rolleyes:

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

As a fishymancer, your build is complete when you have maxed RS, SM and CE (and I note that you have). You are right to be concerned with your resists upon entering Hell. Apart from the pDiamond in your shield, you seem to have little else in terms of resistances. I'd wager that they would all be in the red if you go into Hell.

It then depends on how you will play. For most of Acts 1 and 2, there are few ranged elemental attackers, and those that you will encounter, will be shooting at your skellies, so long as you are careful to stay away from the frontline. In Act 3, Gloams may spawn in the Great Marsh and that would be difficult if you have poor lightning resist. It is from Act 4 onwards that I would be concerned, what with Souls, Balrogs and OKs.

So it really depends on how safely you are going to play. Stay away from the frontlines, hug walls, advance carefully, use your curses (like DV) smartly, and you can even finish the game with negative resistances.

Of course, it would be far safer if you could get some resists gear. Consider Ancient's Pledge in a 3 os shield, Smoke in a 2 os armour, or run NM Meph for some resists gear like Moser's Blessed Circle.

EDIT:
    NVM. Too rude! :laugh:

4. Nerigazh

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds good, I'll shoot for some more resist gear. I've been looking at Smoke and already have the runes for it, so I'll do that. Should I try cubing a resist all amulet? What about gambling? So much to learn :shocked:

What level should I be before starting Hell?

5. FrostBurn

The good thing about a skelliemancer is that he doesn't need too many +skills to finish the game. At /p1 to /p3, a good radius CE is your main killer. So you can load up on MF and/or resistances.

An easy way to cube a resist amulet is:
    6 Perfect Gems (1 of each type) + 1 Amulet (Magic) = Prismatic Amulet
    Use this formula to create an Amulet with Resistance to all. ilvl = 50. The amulet will always have the Prismatic prefix (All Resistances +16-20) and has a chance at getting a suffix as well.

Gambling is always good, but only if you have gold flowing out of your coffers, and you would have to be quite lucky to gamble something you actually need at the time.

Most people go into Hell difficulty at clvl 70+. I usually am around clvl 73+ when I enter Hell, and that is first pass on /p8 from Normal to NM. But I have been known to enter Hell as early as clvl 65. It depends on your build and how comfortable you are with your clvl in Hell. For you, I would try to get some resists gear and level a few more levels just to be a little safer in Hell. You don't actually need to, but it will be safer.

6. wildbillboy

wildbillboy Banned

I find I can level to about 75 in nm Baal before it really slows down below 1 level per 2-3 (5 min average length) 8 ppl serial type games (Baal-101 to 111 etc).
    Make sure your merc has leveled up with you, USWest Realms are nice now, I have found free public hell rushes all over lately (not for forge even make a act1-5 game and by the time you get cain solo ppl will show up and rush) even in public so its not that hard rush act 5 beg waypoints go back and pick up quests and keep a eye open for the gold in the junk dropping.
    The ammy is a nice tip I still have my Prismatic of Life Everlasting P on a mule.

7. Nerigazh

btw, is the cow level worth doing?

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Carefully, it can be fun for a change. I sometimes do Hell Cows with my Fishy. Start of with as many skellies as I can - not really necessary because once one cow is down CE does the work. BUT stay away from the cow king hide. TP out and go back in another way if necessary. When I start getting near the King, I unsummon everything and just use the moron.

9. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

I'd like to 2nd (or 3rd) what some said about changing the players setting. You can gain a bunch of extra levels at the end of or throughout every act with a high players setting.

10. Nerigazh

Slowly but steadily making my way through Hell (on Andy now).

It's... hard! Even on /p1. I'm surprised.. I actually have to concentrate on like every group of mobs, something this here Fishymancer weren't used to :) Not sure if I like it or not.. I think I do, takes more skill, but I'm kinda wishing my character could do some big damage, other than CE which is incredible in the right circumstances but a group of say only 3 hard monsters takes forever to kill when there's not other corpses around.

11. LRSAIA

LRSAIA IncGamers Member

In single player with good gear you can flirt with upper 70's on P8 in NM. On the realms that is a bit tougher but it can still be done. Realistically.....

All I can say is that after 2 years playing single player (my best D2 friend fell off the face of the earth and I got a fiance') going back to the realms is a painful experience....

If you know how to REALLY utilize the build you are okay nude (please the character not yerself ferchisakes) through hell. It can be done but it isn't the preferred method.

The fishymancer is the first starter character to GET you into areas where good stuff can drop. From there you can build a MF farmer (be it pure blizz, blizz/fireball, or the ubiquitious meteorb). Just hard going from nearly 3 years of single player atma stash to online nothing....

Any players looking to have a team mate on US east, give me a shout sometime.... *hot-rod-benz

PS govna, if you are out there, shoot me an email or meet me online amigo!?

12. FrostBurn

Is that a French cheese snack?