To format or not to format...

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
To format or not to format...

Since my pop got his Dell computer last week, he gave me his old 600 mHz to use, which is actually a leap from my own computer (300 mHz - but completely formatted and I thought I had the drivers but now I don't).

The thing is a mess - it's got Norton Antivirus Firewall caked in every orifice, not to mention a whole load of other horribly RAM consuming programs that end up making the machine take 20 minutes to fully start up. That's not to mention the spyware and adware that I'm sure is all over it too.

I'm wondering now if it's even WORTH formatting the thing, considering the bother that it would be - finding out all the drivers, backing up, making sure everything is where it's supposed to be and I'm not missing anything, then going on with it.

Pros - The computer will (theoretically) start faster.
All the tripe that bugger it up on occasion (other than the fast that it's a Windows OS) will be gone.
I can outfit it with better programs from the ground up.

Cons - It'll be a lot of bother.
It's a P 600 and I'm planning on a new computer myself once I've got the cash.

What do you think?

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
it should take only a few hours tops to format, add an os and find the drivers online...do it.

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
I was leaning that way too - the drivers will be a bit easier to find than my own computer... a 6 year old HP Pavilion. I'm thinking of demoting THAT one to a old DOS gaming station. I can't even find the specs on it anymore to actually figure out what drivers it needs.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
I never had to mess with any drivers stuff when I reformated. What's the deal?
the deal is that "plug and play" on older machines is a joke...he will likely have to download network/sound/video drivers...why do they have to write so small on the damn cards...i can never read them...i usually have to pull them out and use a glass to find out what the card is.

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
I never had to mess with any drivers stuff when I reformated. What's the deal?
When you format the computer, you need to have all the drivers for your hardware so that your computer will recognize everything when you start it up again.

i.e. I don't have all the drivers for my own computer and am having trouble finding them - in particular the driver for my CD-ROM drive. No driver for that, and it won't read the Win 95 install CD because the computer doesn't 'know' that the CD ROM drive exists.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that runamok washingmachine of yours can handle XP. Then you would have no trouble with the drivers at all. :wink:

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't even know why you bother asking. Of course you should reformat it.

Even my old junk computer (which took about 6 minutes to boot up, and yes, I timed that) ran a HELL of a lot faster after reformatting. Definitely worth it.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
run msconfig and disable everything in startup
then use notrons uninstall, that should speed things up alot
(putting notron on a 600mhz machine is just asking for problems)
that will make a big difference

sometimes its easy to fix, but when its that messed up formating is better

be sure to burn the drivers on a cd and keep them for the future

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, reformat. Otherwise you have no idea how much crap is built up on it. Saves a defrag too.

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
Should I just burn my whole windows/system32 directory to make sure I have all the right drivers? I'm having a little trouble finding all of them online.

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
MadMachine said:
Should I just burn my whole windows/system32 directory to make sure I have all the right drivers? I'm having a little trouble finding all of them online.
Just go into system32 and copy the folder "drivers." That should do it.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Would that even work? I suppose you could install the drivers manually, but you'd have to know what went with what.