To final fantasy 12 players

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
To final fantasy 12 players

I know I could and should ask ff 12 questions in ff forums, but I don't feel like signing up an account.

For ff12 players that are at least 20 hours in the game, I got 2 questions:

is gun or bow better for ranged? gun is piercing, bow not piercing?

which 3 party members are best? Keep in mind that once an esper is unlocked by a member, only that member can cast it.

I can't decide which 2 of 4 members to put in my party with vaan:

basch vs lady ashe
balthier vs fran

Thanks for any replies

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't have FF12 yet...what do you think so far?
FF7 was by far my favorite, followed by FFX...how does it match up to those?

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Obviously, I haven't beaten the main story yet.

The theme(s) is/are darker than all previous ff's; has several betrayals, politics, lots of familiar terms like magicite and espers (ff 3 anyone?)

The ''limit break'' system called ''quickening'' drains all mp, which makes this system suck compared to previous ff's...unless you chain them up, then, it's not bad.

It probably won't measure up to ff7, but it's very very close imo. I liked ff 10 and 8.

@tjejkast: you could read some reviews and some walkthroughs, it's really up to you to decide. I like this much more than ff 9.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
I hated FF8, and FF9 didn't hold my interest long enough for me to play longer...something the main character having a tail just seemed rather childish to me. FF7 on the other hand had me addicted for months...and FF10 is a lot of fun too, I just don't have the time I did when I was 14 to devote to it.

TjejKast

Banned
@tjejkast: you could read some reviews and some walkthroughs, it's really up to you to decide. I like this much more than ff 9.

Well, Reviews are done by people who play video game for a living. Professionals, that is. And i think it´s nice to hear the opinion of one, who only play for the fun of it. From my experience, their answers tend to be a little bit different

And Walkthroughs can only tell me HOW it works, not if it´s any
fun :rolleyes:

With that said, the thing you said about it being a darker game, brought a smile to my face :smiley:

nickedoff

Diabloii.Net Member
The theme(s) is/are darker than all previous ff's; has several betrayals, politics, lots of familiar terms like magicite and espers (ff 3 anyone?)
Hm, I didn't really think it was any darker than Final Fantasy X. Only the ruling empire is corrupt, not an entire global religion.

members to put in my party with vaan
Why use Vaan? He has barely any part in the story. I noticed that you've completely left out Penelo...why? She's not that bad o.o As for who to choose - just go for the same balance that you'd use in any other FF game. One mostly black mage, one mostly white mage/supporter, and one hard hitter. You could combine two generic classes too; for instance, in my game, I've got Vaan as a white mage and a dagger-using 'thief' type.

guns are piercing, etc.
IIRC guns are the piercing ones, bows do the most damage, and crossbows are fastest.
Both bows and guns are fine. I've got Ashe as the major White Mage (Mystic armor) using Bows and Balthier handling all the other ranged weapons (hand-bombs, xbows and guns) with Light Armor. Not that it matters, but I expect I'll eventually restrict Balthier to just guns as hand-bombs are too unpredictable and crossbows just aren't to my tastes.

which 3 party members are best? Keep in mind that once an esper is unlocked by a member, only that member can cast it.
But there are twelve espers in total. You can balance each of the six out with two complimenting espers for each - Mateus for your hard hitter, Zalera for a mage, etc.

Basically what I wanted to post was that you can focus on just three members if you're bent on it, but in my opinion having variety over all six personalities is much more fun :p

Tjejkast, if that's you in your avatar, I like your shirt =D

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Nickedoff and I forgot to mention that if the current 3 members get ko'ed, we can sub in the ko'ed chars with backups. No more game over till all members ko'ed :)

How do I determine which espers go with which kind of ''class''?

belias and ultima for example?

note: guns seem too slow for me, so I'll stick to bows or xbows.

grrrrr, I'm beginning to think that all chars are like pots in mud form in pottery class :/

Eritar

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're like me, you won't use your Espers at all. Ever. ;) They seem too weak, and you really don't need them. Maybe if the other two party members didn't vanish during the summon, but since they do, I don't see it as a beneficial trade. I guess I could try using them more strategically but...eh. Game is finished. Now to mop up the remaining hunts and elite bosses, such as the Hell Wyrm right now.

As for my party, I've kept them all at an even level. Vaan/Ashe/Basch with swords, Balthier guns, Penelo/Fran with bows through the main story, but if you take your time, you'll have more than enough LP to clear out the entire board and use whatever equipment you want. I have everyone with 1-hander Deathbringer swords, Aegis shields and heavy armor now.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
So is Final Fantasy 12 similar to Final Fantasy Tactics in the skill/class/armor/leveling system, but like the other Final Fantasy games as far as story and game play?

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like almost any kind of decent combo and/or strat will work.

I'll just wing it for now, I may have to make another thread in the future.

Thanks

Eritar

Diabloii.Net Member
So is Final Fantasy 12 similar to Final Fantasy Tactics in the skill/class/armor/leveling system, but like the other Final Fantasy games as far as story and game play?
I can't compare the two games, unfortunately, but here you basically have a big board with every weapon/armor/magic/augment/etc. in a grid position (usually several items to each spot), each costing a certain amount of LP (license points.) The costs range from 5 to 200, with most from 30 to about 60, I'd say. You get 1 LP for most kills, sometimes 2, rarely more. When you activate a grid position, it unlocks the adjacent ones, which you can then activate, and so on. I guess the intent was to have players focus on a path and so have supporting characters of different types like in most games. If you like to speed through your RPGs, you may have to do that. But if you're the type that likes to sit and and power-level, you never really lack for LP, so you don't have to specialize.

Now, I don't mean to make it sound like you'll unlock the whole board halfway through the game. I certainly didn't. But neither will you be forced to choose one focus.

Gameplay: no more random battles. Every foe is visible on the field, so you'll either like that or not. I think it's a good change. The gambit system helps you automate actions, as much or as little as you want. (Well, up to 12 per character, anyway. :wink3: ) You can turn them off and select every action like every other RPG, or set things up so that you usually only have to navigate your party and intervene when something especially tough comes along. I thought at first that I wouldn't use them, but they really do turn out to be very helpful.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
So do you get to choose a specific job class for your characters (such as thief, knight, mage, priest, etc) or does happen in the skill grid process?

nickedoff

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm such a nerd, but the Zodiac Spear is 235 isn't it?

But if you're the type that likes to sit and and power-level, you never really lack for LP, so you don't have to specialize
Not LP, but I'm always skimping for Gil. Something to keep in mind if someone decides to play the game from reading this thread; don't immediately bust out the Gil when you get into a new area, because the next town probably has things for around the same price with much better stats.

belias and ultima for example?
I put Belias on Vaan, since it's the first Esper you get and it just seemed fitting. I expect I'll put Zodiark as Vaan's second Esper, because I'm just that kind of person x_X! Ashe is definitely getting Ultima, because it suits her, and I like to give my casters the espers with high HPs and the ability to heal themselves so they can tank - Zeromus and Cuchulain on Fran, my black mage, for example.

Now, I don't mean to make it sound like you'll unlock the whole board halfway through the game. I certainly didn't. But neither will you be forced to choose one focus
I felt the same way, and I expect it'll be fun later on in the "did everything got everything killed everything" stage of the game to equip all the characters with the same weapon just to experience the different animations and poses on each one.

So do you get to choose a specific job class for your characters (such as thief, knight, mage, priest, etc) or does happen in the skill grid process?
Your characters are basically customized by whichever 'path' they take through the license board. If you want a support mage, you'd get the mage weapons of your choice (usually bows, measures or staves/rods), all the Mystic Armor licenses, and all the Time/Green Magick licenses as well as the MP augments (Martyr, Inquisitor, etc.). It's really confusing, but if you ever play the game (you could probably google a setup of the License Board too) it's really easy to get used to, like most FF games.

Eritar

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm such a nerd, but the Zodiac Spear is 235 isn't it?

Not LP, but I'm always skimping for Gil. Something to keep in mind if someone decides to play the game from reading this thread; don't immediately bust out the Gil when you get into a new area, because the next town probably has things for around the same price with much better stats.
Haha, right you are. :wink3: I haven't gotten that, and I'm not sure I will. I messed up on getting the easy one. I know there's another location, but I think the pop rate is low.

And yes, you're also very right about the Gil issue. I was frequently broke.

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd like to add two more things:

The voice acting is so...uninspiring compared to FF 10. FF10's VA's had oomph

2) FF 12 is the third game I've played that required me to sell items to get money; the first 2 were .hack sign and Ragnarok Online (I think).

I think it'd be better if more enemies dropped Gil, not all, just some more.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
LOL. I thought the voice acting in FF10 was pretty horrendous...and I do a lot of voice acting for a living too...hmm :scratch:

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
New subject: mark hunting extra rewards???

one last thing I can't find in any guide; extra rewards from hunts, if any.

I did the thextra one and talked to the petitioner. I got the bounty of course. I followed him to the bazaar and he opened the bazaar option for me. That's a bonus.

Then, I did the wraith in sewer one. I got bounty from petitioner, but she said ''there's a little something....from...the father'' or something. Maybe I might get an extra reward from a certain npc, but I can't find the npc. Maybe I'm just over thinking?