Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To cube or not to, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, May 1, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

So, since I had somewhat lucky start of my 1.13 career, I have now (with old runes counted in):

4 Lem
    0 Pul
    5 Um
    4 Mal
    4 Ist

which if cubed up could land me a Vex and Pul for my first SPF Hoto with some spares or -almost- Ohm, so with some little more Countess runs, I could get my first CTA _ever_ relatively soon.

However I don't know if I should go for it or not.

As the situation goes, I don't have use for multiple Lems, I have use for many Puls for upgrading the weapons, I don't see a reason to keep more than one Um in stash for something nice to socket in, I don't see any reason to keep Mals other than runewords and as for Ists, I don't plan to socket it in armor etc for 1 more MF and I don't plant to socket it in the weapons either since I am not so MF oriented.

On the other hand, I do not have an immediate use of Hoto (I mean I can use it very nicely on my sorc, pala and pretty soon future trapper/windy, but it's not needed by far) and I am not really sure how I would feel for burning so many runes (and a little more) to get CTA, only to get 1 BO variable :D

Right now my mind is continuously dancing between the options and so I am looking for some advice on what would be probably the best course of action.

2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I wouldn't cube any of them.

I find guls drop way easier than ist runes and you can just cube those up instead

3. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Just run LK for a bit- at P7 you have an even better chance of getting a Sur. How about getting your first Enigma ever?

4. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Why would you cube runes to make hoto for which you don't have immediate use? Do it when you will actually have use of hoto, why to rush things unnecessarily.

And secondly, since you are used to rune rarity of 1.12 and now started 1.13 so I assume you somewhat overprice those runes you have. Unless you play like few hours a month, you will farm plenty of Ists and Mals and stuff like that. They are NOT rare, but Mal and Ist are more valuable to cube Ists that you will, I assume, use on various gear sockets for MF. I myself socketed like 30 Ist runes in various equipment. Don't cube those so easily. As Phar said, Gul and even Vex/Ohm simply drop over time whatever you play. I play like hour-two of d2 every day and got 4 high runes this week from that by running areas. Imagine if you actually invest more time into game. It will be raining runes.

5. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

If he has my LK luck lately it won't be soon :p

But yeah, don't cube. LK will cough up some Vex runes sooner or later. I don't think I've ever seen an Ohm drop tho.

6. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Don't cube for something you don't need right away. HotO is a small upgrade over Spirit, not worth cubing those runes.

7. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Well I know for sure I won't be ever running LK. It is just oh so very not enjoyable to me. I need to kill stuff to feel alive :p

I guess I'll put of the cubing off at least for now and I'll see what will or won't drop for me before I finish my fifth 90 char.

8. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Run LK while doing something else.
    Sometimes when I watched TV with the wife I'll do a ton of LK runs... they aren't the fastest, sure, but I can do it while watching TV, not really paying attention--which I can't do with things that take more concerted effort like AT runs (although I'm sure many of the more experienced members here can do that). At first I felt like I never had anything drop while running LK. In retrospect, I'm amazed by how easy it was to get several Surs to drop.

I used to disdain LK runs as well, thinking they wouldn't be fun, but after I got bored of killing monsters without higher level runewords... it didn't seem so boring anymore to seek out runes. Then, I went back to killing monsters with Infinity, Enigma, several Deaths, 2 Griefs, etc. :)

9. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Most of the time I watch TV shows on the side when running LK as well. Or you could just run LK alongside something else. I used to run LK>Trav>Act V Superchest>CS with my Hammerdin.

10. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Yep, just kill lots of enemies in Hell and those runes will drop. If you have the right kind of character, you can run flayers in Act III or Trav if you want to rack up runes quickly.