Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To block or not to block

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by sorcees, Apr 5, 2004.

1. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

To block or not to block

I am a (HC) sorc, and have 1 question.
    Max block is desirable for physic attacks, but does it also elemental, or is only resistance for elemental.
    For the combo i think a rhyme grim sheild would be best.
    Or better pdiamond withstans with lower dex.

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Rhyme grim shield will require almost too much dex to achieve max-block. Good shields are those that already have a blocking chance that is as close to the 75% as you can get. Whistans is a good example, or upgraded Visceratuant, Mosers Blessed Circle, Stormshield.

It does really good against physical ranged and melee attackers and it can also block some of the elemental attacks, like Andariel's poison bolt (one single green drop flying to you) or the those bloodballs from succubus. There's more attacks from the Elemental side that can be blocked, but i am not sure which.

For elemental attacks you will want high resists and absorb gear like thundergods Vigor for example. getting 85% res lightning with +20 lightnign absorb is the best protectin you can get against lightning attacks.

Combine max-block with high life and you can count yourself as safe.
    In HC i'd certainly recommend max-block, tough VIT only migth do the trick too.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

you only need @150 dex to get max block with a whistans, less with an eld.

personally i prefer the other stats on the stormshield and rhyme. i use whistans only on chars that i didn't plan on getting max block in the first place.

4. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

At the moment i use withstans, with lvl 70, max block, but not ready for hell.
    my res is almost zero (in NM), so i will go for a pdiamond inn withstans, or bether a rhyme or an ancient pledge on switch.
    As i will go for meph in NM, i need to TP a lot, so better rhyme i suppose.

5. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

For my sorc, I went with a mosers with Eld and P.diamond and a rhyme heater on switch. IT's 62% block but I'm getting 20 dex from my tals belt, so knwoing I was goign to use tals armour/amulet/belt downt he road made it an easy choice.

It's my first max block sorc, and I coudlnt' be happier with it. Max block all the way for now on.

6. Superhal

fun with max block:
    standing in the middle of cows, stuck in blocklock, thinking about what to do for 5 minutes.

making it back to malah poisoned with 1 hp left.

tanking an extra-fast lister pack, saying, "hey you guys, stop dying. it's only lister."

helping everybody recover their corpses from said pack.

doing nithalak runs.

7. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

I was just going to make a post about this, but since it's mentioned here... I have a lvl 57 bliz sorc using rhyme with about 155 dex but only 90 vit! I'm going to be doing the usual hell runs with her, but I was wondering how high I need to get dex for max block before I can comfortably start raising vit more?

I get the sneaking suspicion that by the time I'm ready to raise vit it's going to be too late. :(

8. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

a rhyme heater give me 62% to block, and I have 180 dex at level 71+items gives me max block. I have a bunch of small charms of vita to help out, but the max block saves me more then the extra 200 life would.

9. Superhal

you are going to need in the neighborhood of 250 total dex to get max block with a rhyme shield, not recommended.

imho, 200 is as high as it should get.

i need @220 with stormshield, but i get the leftovers through eq, like ravenfrost and war travs.

base or low vit is doable. you just need life charms, some absorbs, etc. no problemo. :)

think about it like this: a 20 life sc is like having a 10 vit sc, so it is more efficient to buy vita charms and use stat points for anything else besides vit.

the only need to pump vit, imho, is...heck i can't think of a reason. the result is purely psychological imho, as resists, absorbs and blocking are better than more life, and everything that is dangerous will kill you in 1 hit anyway if you have 300 or 800 life, same for everything that is not dangerous.

10. Purri

Purri IncGamers Member

Does anyone know if gerke's is good for max block? and how many dex it needs @ ~lvl 90 ?

11. Superhal

no it sucks. weight is just ridiculous and it's slow too.

you can eyeball a shield's chance to block to get their rough dex req:

80+ (whistan's only) = @180
    75% (stormshield) = @220 dex
    62% (rhyme heater) = @250 dex
    40% (lidless) = @275 dex

for pvp though, you need exact numbers. there's a formula out there.

12. Starseed

Well, if I stop @ 200.. where should I put the remaining points besides vit?

I'm using wizspike, rhyme, shako & I have a tal belt/Armor in stash for later so I'm totally set for mana/rez in hell. With that, and what you said about vit, should I just go for the 250 dex anyway, since I don't need any more str or mana?

As of this post I'm lvl 64 w/172 dex & 112 vit.

13. Superhal

i usually put 154 str on all my chars for stormshield, which is a good idea if you want max block.

i had a friend who did like 270 dex for max block with lidless + tal's set. he was happy.

yeah i guess a few more points in vit won't hurt. base vit is pretty inflexible. you have to have all your defensive stuff in place at all times, no switching out for mf.

i guess it depends on your eq. here's my decision process:
    if i have lots of extra vita charms, less vit.
    if i have stormshield for this char, more dex/str, less vit.
    if i have war travs and tgods, less str.
    if the endgame armor is light, less str.
    if i want to keep the inv open for mf'ing, more vit.

14. Starseed

alright, so going on that, after I hit 200 dex I'll just start pumping into vit.

I figure since I'll be doing my most to avoid actual confrontations as long as I get my life over 500 that should suffice. :)

15. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

your life will be well above 500in the end. And I jsut put enoguh dex each level to bring hte chance to block up to 75%, and the last 2-3 points into vitality. So they grow together.

16. Fray

Fray IncGamers Member

I'm keeping my block at 65% while I am leveling... lvl 47 ATM. But I would go for max block for HC. (I'm SC.) The block has totally helped out. I've teleported around and get into a mob pack and I hear the *tunk* noise of a block and I take no damage and continue telporting...
    My 2¢... :]

17. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Here's the blocking formula for use with any shield. With this you can figure out what dex you will need when are at a certain lvl, with the sheild of your choice.

[ (Desired Chance to Block * (Level * 2)) / Shield Block ] + 15 = Dex you need to attain max block at the level calculated

[] = round up

So for Lidless @ lvl 80 and wanted block 50%;
    [ (50 * (80 * 2)) / 40 ] + 15 ] = 215 dex

Whereas my Whitstans @ lvl 80 and wanted block 75%;
    [ (75 * (80 * 2)) / 80 ] + 15 ] = 165 dex

(quote: formula copied from a blocking post further back, where stertje gave the correct formula)

18. Superhal

haha 386 dex for 75% block with lidless at lvl 99. :)