Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

To .07 vets: runewords and multiple instances

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Radagast, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

To .07 vets: runewords and multiple instances

Hey guys,

Well, I'm plodding along with my soon-to-be racker Elwing. She's an orb/static sorc (suprise!) creeping through act 3 nm at lvl 37, and a little guidance/wisdom is long overdue. So here's a few questions i'd like to pose to the .07 community, and please feel free to share your .07 experiences: things to keep an eye out for, the ups and downs and so on...

Oh, and i'm playing untwinked HC (being my first .07 char).

Firstly, what of .07 runewords? Repusz's guide hints at a different (or maybe just smaller) list of runewords and links the reader to a dated site. Does anyone know them or have working .07 sites bookmarked?

Another question of mine is about running multiple instances of the game to wiggle around the lack of the /players command. I mentioned this a while back when I was having mobo problems... but my erstwhile lack of LAN cut the discussion short.

Finally, anyone want to MP some day? :cool: I'm a little tied up this week, but come friday i'll be in dire need of some unwinding (or a few acts closer to running racks... yes... i'm a loon. Looks like i've come to right place eh?!)

To Vita! :drink:

mad rad el pirata

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The 1.07 runewords are by and large awful and extremely poor value for the runes you need. But there are one or two that aren't bad. I posted this list a while back:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=305023

You should be able to run multiple instances in the usual ways. Maybe someone who has actually done it can help you more with that (I just put up with p1 when playing 1.07).

3. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

So, those RW's only work for v.1.07? being a 1.10 means no for all those (seemingly) new rw's?

4. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I've said it once.

I'll say it again.

Running multiple instances of Diablo II: LoD v1.07 for the extra players in the game is NOT WORTH IT.

I've tried and it wasted my time.

It was more hassle getting a bunch of characters to idle in the game. Not to mention if you progressed to a new difficulty you'd better have 7 more characters in Nightmare.

Not to mention the exp gains don't seem to be as good as they were in 1.09/1.10. Play on the regular players settings and you'll waste less time.

Trust me.

I tried it.

5. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, I only play SC in 1.07. Disco-neck Ted has one or two HC
    characters in 1.07 and he might be up for some MP.

6. Radagast

Thanks very much for the rune list thrugg. By and large you're right, especially wiht the zod words... just silly. Nevertheless, thx, i see a few low lvls i'll be puttin to use.

And serdash, i'll take your word for it and hope disco/others won't mind a little company now and then.

Thx all,
    Radagast

7. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Running multiple instances works just like in any other version of LoD, but I'm with Dashy. Not worth it, and what do you do when you get to the next difficulty? If you party with the "extras" so they get quest credit, then you're guilty of rushing.

A sorc should have fewer troubles levelling on all difficulties than any other char simply because she can effortlessly mop up the Bloody Foothills. That gets boring, so some combo of questing for half a level or so, then hopping back a difficulty to make a few experience runs helps me keep my sanity. Bramble runeword armor even has FRW, along with resists and mana regen. Add a Beauty hat for even more mana regen and maybe an ancient's pledge. All those are pretty cheap. Don't forget you can rack some good stuff in NM LK.

Are you looking for starter gear or trying to go untwinked all the way? Might have something for a sorc in 1.07 HC. If so, list what you have now and I'll check later.

As for HC MP, that sounds good, but I'm moving this weekend. Another time?

Have fun!

8. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

I'd never seen the 1.07 runewords before, now I'm thoroughly shocked!

Did any kind of game balancing take place before they rolled out the patch?
    What were they thinking? No, actually, the question is:
    Were they thinking?

And I could probably take an intelligent guess at the answer :cool:.

Oh, how I could use a Zod for a +1 all skills helm...

9. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

My question is, if you would make and bring these forward to say 1.10, would they become just "Ith"s, like what we're talking about in another thread?

10. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

1.07 wasn't a patch, it was the original CD version of LoD. And as with the majority of original CD versions, the need to get it on the shelf and start making money out of it far outweighed any wish to balance it up. Which is why 1.07 is full of bugs and even fuller of play imbalances.

Fortunately it is still quite fun. Most of the bugs/imbalances are against the player, making it challenging. If they made it too easy (there is one, CM affects CIs, which makes FO sorcs far too easy) then it would be more of a problem.

1.07 runewords brought forward should indeed become Iths except for Ancient's Pledge which is unchanged in all versions (don't think there are any others?)

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

whats an ith?

12. astralusion

astralusion IncGamers Member

13. Radagast

Yar!

Thanks for the advice, and i'd love to get some MP together. Originally I thought I'd just rack .07 for my burgeoning 1.10 SP career, but... well I think I might be around to stay. So if you are ever interested in starting up a character or kicking around at higher lvls, drop a message eh?

That said, I tested out racking last night. And damn, 'tis a bit of a trick for me. I was running (or rather, teleing) LK in NM and never managed to get a rack to drop consistently. It seemed like it chose between 2 or 3 items all the time, but I've been thinking about seed and have a few ideas as to why i can't get solid replication:

Do vendors with their random items mutate the game seed from time to time? I dropped by Ormus at the beginning of each run to ID and sell magics (no great luck) and every now and then I dropped items in teh stash.

Do Atma operations affect seed? I've got a feeling they do, as it tosses the character in act1 after operation...

Hrm... what else... ressurecting merc? I did that now and again, and I get the feeling it affects seed too.

I guess one blanket question is if pathing in town (vendors included) affects the game seed on rack drops.

Oh, but a chest did drop me a +1 martial arts/+13 max dmg gc for me troubles :teeth: And i'm not complaining about the sol either; as I hear it, runes are a scarcity in .07.

cheers!
    Radagast

14. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Some racks are stable, some are semi-stable (cycle between a few item types). Sounds like you have one of the latter.
    All racks will vary depending on your path to them unless it is right next to the WP. It doesn't actually "spawn" until you are a certain distance from it, and what it spawns as depends on whether it is spawning at the bottom of your screen, the side, top etc. You can even get a different type if you run past it and come back (got my Arkaine's that way).

Some racks aren't worth the trouble. I had one that I persisted with for ages that dropped Vortex Shields but only when there was a random monster pack between me and the rack. Frustrated the hell out of me, eventually gave it up. Next map seed there was a Corona rack right next to the WP, had two Gris Coronas a couple of hours later. Game has a sense of humour.

No, that is safe. Racks are based on the map seed and visiting Ormus will not change that.

Only in 1.07 it somehow loses a bit of information somewhere in the charfile that tells the game where to start you. It does not change the map seed which is what you need to worry about. Also safe.

Probably not directly. Going out, coming back in to resurrect, going back out will not change your seed but is essentially a different "path" to the rack. If you went back via the WP and came back and ran the same way as before though it should be the same.

Confident no.

Good luck. It's an engaging, if slightly tedious, pursuit.

15. Radagast

:)

Thanks thrugg.

16. Radagast

17. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

From what I remember, in 1.07 you could make an ancients pledge in a 4 socket shield and get the Runeword, plus have an open socket. Thus being able to get RalOrtTal and a PDiamond for more resists.

If what I remember is true, would a RalOrtTalPDiamond Ancients Pledge brought forward keep the same stats? Or would it simply become a 54% Fire, Lightning, Poison and 19% Cold Resist shield?

18. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I'd have to check that Dashy. I believe the way runewords work, the item is marked with "I'm a runeword" and then the game checks the recipe each time you enter. I suspect your AncPledge+PD would be either an Ith or, as you say, just the basic results of the 4 sockets.