Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Titan Bear HC planning help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Docturnal, May 22, 2008.

1. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

Titan Bear HC planning help

Hi again. The good ole doc is once again planning a character way above his ability.

This time its a titan werebear. Sure Ill probably not go beyond nightmare until I finalize my gear, but even so I need to start planning the full journey.

So the premise is simple. A HC titan werebear druid.
    Since I am going titan and obedience is about the highest runeword I have at the moment I might want to include that in the build, but other than that I really have little clue on what to do.

20 pts Oak Sage
    20 pts Lycantropy
    1pt in all werebear skills
    Then what?

Any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: Any gear will be twinked from my very limited stash, so no tips requiring above mediocre wealth please.

2. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Re: Titan Bear HC planning help

Have you thought about what your main attack skill will be?

Also, shapeshifters totally dig weapon IAS. Obedience, in all it's might and glory, has none of that. Even in a tresher, it'll only hit at 11-16 frames (depending on OIAS).

3. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

Since titans have attack rating problems Id say my best bet would be fire claw. That way I deal both enough fire damage and enough physical damage to make short work of anything not dual immune. It will make my skill points spread a bit thin though.

And about Obedience: I wasnt sure about it, just thought it would be an alternative that would at least have enough ED.

4. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

First of all, if you're doing a HC wearbear, you need shockwave. 1 point is nice and all in normal, but in late NM and hell, you will want more. If you max shockwave, I imagine you will be able to make guardian easily (but perhaps slowly). The more points you put in it, the longer it lasts. I would recommend 20 (at least 10 though) to get the stunlength up to a nice amount in hell.

I'm not sure FC is the best option for a backup skill. You won't get any help with your AR from it either. You probably won't get enough dex to equip a phase blade, so your attack speed will suffer a lot. Also, if you are also planning on maxing wearbear (you didn't say so in your first post, so I wasn't sure) it will leave very very few points leftover for FC synergies, and monsters in hell will regenerate faster than an unsynergized FC can hurt them.
    As far as backup skills go though, it might be your only option, but with a good shockwave, you could easily run past PI's as they sit there with swirlies for 5 seconds.

I don't know if you've already considered this or not, but if your oaksage wanders off and dies mid battle, you will instantly become easily killable, so try to avoid that happening. Some people don't use oak sage in HC for this very reason, but for a titan it's kind of essential. Once again shockwave will stun lots of monsters making it tougher for him to bite the dust.

I guess the moral of my post is SHOCKWAVE!!!
    Good luck on your druid though! That is all I got right now.

5. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Shockwave is capped at 10 seconds, so never get it past 15 with skills. If you have the IK maul + gloves/boots/and possibly belt I'd say shael up the maul and use that for a mauler. With shockwave + a might merc you'll be able to kill pretty much anything. All the elemental damage on the maul will even allow you to kill PI's (albeit slowly).

If you have AR issues try to get a Demon Limb on switch for the lvl 21 enchant. I used that on my first werebear and its duration outlasted my bear form, so whenever you shift out just buff yourself really fast and you're golden :).

If you want to go fire claws you can do that as well (with a shaeled phase or similar), I just like physical damage dealers more and Maul = shiny green ball flying around you! Bottom line though is that Shockwave is your friend. Try to get it as close to lvl 15 as humanly possible.

edit: One other thing is I highly recommend Heart of the Wolverine over Oak Sage for a Mauler. You'll need the ar and the damage bonus is nice too.

edit2: Wow I'm dumb I forgot you were making him a titan. In that case it's a tough call between Oak and HotW. Do you have any life or AR charms by chance?

6. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I didn't realize that. Doesn't it get reduced in length to 1/4 in hell? I heard there was a bug that got fixed recently to correct this or something? I'm not really that sure, I don't think I've used shockwave in 1.11.

7. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

I think back in 1.09 or something shockwave (and other stuns like warcry) were cut to 1/2 duration in nm and 1/4 duration in hell. Patch 1.10 fixed this to make those skills viable and it hasn't changed since. It will run at full duration in nm and hell, it just won't last longer than 10 seconds :). Amazing CC to say the least.

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I might add a little about this based on my personal experience.

If you believe losing OS makes you easily killable, you are doing the wrong thing or at least play with the wrong mind set.

Someone said HC is all about dependable character. This is so true. What does it mean is upto each person's "standard" and "rules".

Let's compare these two (Pro and Con).

OS Pro: the extra life might be handy, you never know.
    OS Con: you cannot not depend on it as barb can depend on BO to boost life. Instead, you use it as extra insurance only.

HoW Pro: extra damage and AR
    HoW Con: same as OS, cannot depend on it to reach respectable damage and AR.

Now which one is more "dangerous" for HC? If you play carefully, you'd drink a big potion when you see the red ball drop to 1/3 - 1/2 at latest. You don't bet on the chance to leech the lost life back, neither should you bet on you won't lose the other half life in the rest of battle. So the extra life from OS seems useless, however, think the unexpected situation, it may save you since no one is perfect, you will make mistakes soon or later. The first "disadvantage" if you chose OS route, is that you will be forced to find your AR else where. It might be hard, but you will be able to hit regardless. And your damage output is more dependable on yourself.

If you go HoW route, you learn likely to live and fight with the added AR. Let's face it, HoW dies as easy as OS in hell. If you don't treat HoW as extra bonus only (most people depend on HoW to get respectable AR), you will find yourself suddenly lost your "chance to hit" in dangerous battle. I believe this is much more dangerous for HC.

I remember someone said (possible NF): If your character cannot survive with 2K life, it is not likely extra life from OS will help.