Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tis the time of year for pot holes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Mar 16, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

Tis the time of year for pot holes

CUYAHOGA FALLS - This time of year nearly everybody has a pothole horror story to tell.

But for a Cuyahoga Falls family of five, their encounter with a roadside crater was near to over the top when all were taken to hospital emergency rooms for treatment.

A week later, Melissa and Micah Thomas and their three young children are still nursing bumps and bruises suffered in a March 6 crash on Yellow Creek Road in the Falls after their family van hit a pothole then careened off the road and into a steep ditch inches away from a creek.

Melissa Thomas said a fairly uneventful family outing to the Summit Mall in Fairlawn took a serious turn as they made their way back to their 10th Street home in the Falls.

She said they had just crested a hill on Yellow Creek Road near Bath Road when the 1996 Pontiac Transport she was driving hit two potholes and careened off the roadway.

``No matter what I did to that steering wheel,'' she said, ``I could not control that van.

``I didn't even see it (the pothole) until I was in.''

Micah Thomas said he was sitting in the passenger seat looking back at their children -- ages 3 to 9 -- when the accident happened.

``I felt the big bump,'' he said. ``The next thing I knew the van was careening right off the road.

``It was so quick. It was like boom, boom.''

The family had to be extricated from the crumpled van that was wedged in the ditch. All were taken to Akron hospitals, where they -- with the exception of Melissa, who was admitted for one night -- were treated for bumps and bruises.

Melissa Thomas, 31, said she's encountered plenty of potholes, but never one that caused her to lose control and crash.

She was cited by Falls police for failure to control her vehicle.

``I don't think I did anything wrong,'' she said. ``I don't know how to control something that was caused by a pothole.''

Now she's faced with the choice of either paying a $134 fine or attempting to fight the citation in Falls Municipal Court.

She said the potential fine -- coupled with the family carrying only liability insurance on their sole means of transportation -- makes the whole mishap all the more aggravating and expensive.

Falls Police Chief John Conley said officers investigating the crash estimate the van was traveling 40 miles per hour in a posted 35 mph zone.

After reviewing the police incident report that notes the potholes in the road where the accident occurred, Conley said, he still feels the citation was appropriate.

``You are still ultimately responsible for the operation of your vehicle,'' the chief said.

Falls Councilman Terry Mader, whose ward includes the area where the accident occurred, said he has not heard any complaints about that stretch of roadway.

Mader said motorists may call the city's Pothole Hotline at 330-971-8345 or visit the Falls' Web site at www.cityofcf.com to report any pothole problems.

``I do believe the city is doing the best it can do,'' he said.

So far this winter season, the Falls Public Works Department reports that it has filled an estimated 10,000 potholes.

Mader said the city is trying to be as proactive as it can to keep the roadways smooth.

``I think every city is contending with the same thing,'' he said. ``Due to the wonderful winter weather we've had, it's been particularly bad.''

Even though she was "speeding" should she have received a ticket for failure to control?

I have encountered pot holes that could swallow my Geo. None that would cause me to loose control, but I am a slower driver with the kids in my car.

I am glad I still carry full coverage on my car even though it is 7 years old. It is only 10 bucks a month more each month, but I have the comfort of knowing if I hit a pot hole, deer or if my car is vandalized, I am covered.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Potholes get terrible in this area of the country. All that changing between freezing and not freezing temperatures really kills the roadways. I hit a hole so bad it broke a rim on my car, and ripped the tire off. I had to get a new rim and a new tire.

3. g00tch

g00tch Diabloii.Net Member

Then the road crews patch them, but to no avail, as they're opened back up again a week later. Bah - come on spring, get here.

4. Matt

Matt Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I think its a little silly for the cops to cite her for losing control. Its not like she was driving recklessly. Shes already gotta deal with the van being wrecked, hospital bills, and what must be a really scary situation, seeing your whole family sent to the hospital. To add on a 134 dollar ticket? Cmon, thats just ridiculous.

-Matt

5. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

But, if you guys hit one and had an accident...whose fault would it be? Yours for not seeing the hole..or the city/county for not making the road safely travelable (that just doesn't look right to me)?

The city/county knows they are dangerous and does nothing about them. Patch jobs just are lame especially in the NE or central states.

If you had significant damage to your car due to a pot hole..then got a ticket on top of that..would you be irate?

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yes I would. The city can't fill every pot hole as soon as it is made though, so you have to be careful. Speed limits aren't set in stone laws they are suggestions, if the pot holes were bad she should have been going slower than the posted 35mph. I find it hard to believe she couldn't see them. While it sucks that they have to buy a new car and pay hospital bills and such, the law doesn't follow karmic balance.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

If she knew the potholes were that bad, she'd probably have slowed down. Cresting a hill makes it harder to see the road in front of you. And if you're in an area you don't usually drive, you don't know which parts of the road you should be watching to keep an eye out for potholes. And sometimes you can't avoid them anyway. If it's a narrow road and cars are coming the other way, sometimes you just gotta hold your breath and hang on.

Potholes can get really bad. Like 3-4 inches deep for some of the bad ones. When you describe your car as being "in" a pothole as opposed to just hitting it, it puts a different perspective on things.

8. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

It seems like we need to find an alternative to concrete, it requires a lot of maintenence, and a patch is never as strong as the original thing.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

As soon as you come up with something cheap and spreadable that is as strong as steel then I think we will stick with the man made rock.

10. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

Not to mention, rubber on concrete is the best surface to maintain traction. (Whoa, I used physics knowledge...)

My roads are horrible. Absolutly torn apart. Thing is, they were paved five years ago, and aren't scheduled to be paved for another ten years, even though some of it is literally drifting into someone's property. Imagine what is supposed to happen to the west coast in some thousands of years. It's just supposed to separate and drift away, and that's exactly what part of my street is doing. And it's more of the salt corroding our raods than freezing. They use enough salt to make you slide on just as if it were snow.

As for her problem, that's just wrong. While she was going over the speed limit, the pothole still needed fixed to prevent this. What if the speed limit were 45mph? Then whose fault is it?

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

If I were in her shoes, at the very least I'd contest it on the grounds that the damage to her vehicle, injuries to herself and family, and aggravation caused by the municipality's failure to fix the pothole were more than enough punishment.