Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tired of Realm Down

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by alexzed, May 20, 2005.

1. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Tired of Realm Down

I've been playing Diablo since it started...and love playing. However, these Realm Down errors are becoming a real nuisance. I have seven accounts, and do a LOT of switching between. Today I got another realm down, and settled in for a typical hour wait for my IP ban to be removed. (Lost a few Hels and Dols - thankfully I moved my Nightwing and Ists earlier) However, this time is different. I can't even log onto my realm (East) but I can log into the other Realms. After checking Blizzards website, I find that I am suspected of running a bot because of my multiple logins, and either have a 1-2 day ban, or perhaps a permanent one.

My question for all is this: Is there a point where preventing the cheats and bots becomes a problem for us all? I mean, if I am unable to access my accounts that I have spent years on building, are we defeating the purpose? Preventing the market from being flooded is one thing, but to exile a non-cheater (I use a Mac for the love of god!!! There are no hacks!) and ruin many accounts - are we cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Anyway - just seeing who else has this, and if you were banned from realm - was it permanent or a couple of days.

*fuming*

2. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

The longest ban I've had is 10-12 hours.
    Only time I get that of course is when I try muling my stuff alone. It has been succesful for a couple of days now but sometimes I've lost a few puls/ums due to realm down. I usually get either 5 min or 1 hour RD.
    If you're permanently banned, I think it should say something else than plain "realm down".
    The idea is to keep maybe 10 seconds between joins/account changes and you should be able to mule safely.

3. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

when i have realm down, i restart the computer and everything is ok :lol: :lol: it allways work with me :D

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Do you feel it's necessary to rapidly switch games/characters/accounts so often and so quickly that BNet thinks you're a bot? In all the 5 or so years I played on Battle.net, I was never temp-banned while self-muling - and I had a shocking number of accounts to maintain.

The key is that I took my time doing my business and my mules were well organized - thus I knew where each and every item I had was stored. Also, I tended to mule during non-peak playing hours to (hopefully) cut down on the random server resets and occasional Battle.net freak-outs. When muling "important" items, I got a friend to help me out.

One quick point: Blizzard does not support muling - you do it at your own risk. Why should Blizzard feel obligated to shut down any anti-cheating measures it may be using just to protect an act that they don't even support? ;)

Sorry for your losses though. If getting temp-banned like this is not a constant event for you, I highly doubt your CD key was permenantly muted. Try again in 24 hours - till then, take a walk, read a book, play with your cat, etcetera, etcetera ... :)

5. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

lol - point well taken...it is just a game! :)

I tend to jump very quiclky between chars in case there is a connection error other than a Realm Down. In this case, I was looking for an amulet, and went through 3 Accts (21 Char) before it dropped. Granted, Blizzard does not support muling - but it is something they must consider - I can't imagine this game without muling...and it does take up a lot of my playing time...got to work on organizational skills!

However - I will wait and see...just frustrated, that's all.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's enough to reset the connection to your ISP, so you get a new IP address in the internet, but if you have a static IP address, that won't help.

7. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

DAMN I saw a post in some form in this D2 site on how to get rid of Realm Down but I forgot...

It was something about going into Command.exe in Windows XP (you can do this by pressing Start - Run - Cmd - Ok) and typing something like -n netstat and then changing something... I'll try to look for the forum again but probably won't find it...

- Dennis

8. Agateryon

Agateryon IncGamers Member

yep i know, my isp doesn´t provide me a static ip, thats why it works :D

9. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

entering a channel helps avoid rd, even if you dont say anything. ive done 40 baal runs ~4 min each w/ baal (doing baal helps too) where i make. even just quickly hitting enter channel right before you make the game makes a nice difference.

doesnt work totally for solo muling though, but ive never rd in mf or baal runs after finding this.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Entering a channel between games is a good idea and I also press the chat gem because you have to do something there to avoid getting disconnected. That saves me from chatting with the guys there :lol: However, I heard that no information is sent to bnet upon pressing the chat, so it might just be superstition, but it's just a single click while moving the mouse cursor from the "Enter chat" button to the "create game" one :)

11. Chromeus

Chromeus IncGamers Member

for a quick fix to realm downs...

run>command>type "ipconfig /release"

this will disconnect your internet,then

control panel
    >network/internet connections
    >your connection(right click>properties)
    >click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
    >properties
    >use the following ip address
    >under "IP address" type 121212112121 until its filled
    >press tab
    >click OK,OK

now right click on your connection again and select properties
    >click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
    >properties
    >obtain an IP address automatically
    >click OK,OK

that should fix it

a word of warning though,after you have done this you will get realm downs much easier...so stay in your game for a few minutes and wait in the lobby for 5-10 seconds before creating a new game

btw netstat -n at the MS-DOS prompt is for checking game IP :)

12. leumas

leumas IncGamers Member

I would said give us a infinite stash if blizzard don't allow us to mule. I don't understand the concept of less space in stash would bring more fun!!

13. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

They *do* allow us to mule - they simply aren't encouraging us to do so by adding features that would make it easier and safer. An infinite stash is a terrible idea for some of us packrats - who would then gladly start saving every blasted El rune and half-decent rare that drops because ... "well, ya never know when it might come in handy." :lol:

At least with the way things stand now, it forces one to consider the value of what they are keeping versus the trouble of mule-making/burning/remembering passwords and accounts. "Do I really need to save this 2-socket Grim Shield with crappy low defense?"

I'm sure the whole muling phenomenon will be taken into consideration for D3 (if D3 and D2 are at all similar in terms of gameplay, that is) but it's way too late in the game for D2.

Of course, by the time D3 comes out, I'll be pushing 130 - not sure if I'll still be able to operate a keyboard (or even see) by that time, but I digress.