Tips on making Diablo 2 Gameplay more efficient

petezjunior

Diabloii.Net Member
Tips on making Diablo 2 Gameplay more efficient

I was wondering if there are more efficient ways on playing the game. For example, even something small such as pressing "shift + potion" allows you to put the potion on your little stash much faster. I have found out some things over the years I have been playing, but I do not think I have found them all... Please list the tips here, so others can make the game much easier!

Also, is there a way a Hell character can search for games in Normal or Nightmare? I do not think so, but I was just wondering. Thanks.

nerdly

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tips on making Diablo 2 Gameplay more efficient

If you're at a merchant, and you hold down ctrl then click on an item, it will immediately sell the item, rather than you having to drag it. That's my tip.

I would wager that there's a post lurking out there with all of this information in it already, but I'm at a loss for where it might be.

The only way I know of for a character who has completed Nightmare to see those NM games is to log out and log back in with a character who hasn't. For normal you can just use a mule or other low level character. It's not convenient, but it is possible.

Alc

Diabloii.Net Member

Shift-rightclick on pots/scrolls at a store will full up belt/tomes (caveat: for belts it will fill all empty rows, or any rows which are showing the same kind of pot you are buying. It will not fill above different pots, so for instance if you have one blue pot in slot one and you shift-buy reds, it won't fill above the blue).

The one keypress that completely changed my D2 experience was the realisation I could press "m" in the menus to turn off the music. I must've heard that bloody LoD intro countless thousands of times. I searched for the option high and low on google, but somehow it never came up, and there was no option in the D2 menu itself so I kind of got used to it ruining my music. It's kind of embarrasing to admit such a basic failure on my part to read the instructions, but if one other person out there didn't realise this then I'll be happy.

I'll be interested to see if anything else comes up in this thread which I've missed...

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Then there's the "lobby" music in bnet chat. Mine kept turning on and off WHENEVER I pushed M, even when chatting. CTRL+M fixes this, at least until next time you log on.

Pjoll

Diabloii.Net Member

Shift+right click on a pot when playing will feed your merc :)

EDIT: Could be left click, I forgot which one it was >.<

theBanger

Diabloii.Net Member

A quick search on google got me these commands (most are just for single player):

Level 33 starting character

Start the game with the -act5 command line parameter. If done correctly, you will have all skill points and attribute points. However, you will only have the base inventory and no waypoints. Take the waypoint back to the Rogue encampment. To create lower level characters, start the game with the -act1 for a new level 1 character in Act 1; -act2 for a new level 16 character in Act 2; -act3 for a new level 21 character in Act 3, or -act4 for a new level 27 character in Act 4.

View debug information

Start a game, press [Enter] to enter talk mode, then type fps. The ping time, frame skip , and frames per second will appear in the upper left corner. Note: Type /framerate in v1.10 and higher of the game.

Sound debug

Press [Enter] to open the chat screen, then type SoundChaosDebug to hear a sound. To return to normal, repeat the code. This sounds really creepy.

Disable item auto-pickup

Press [Enter] to open the chat screen, then type nopickup. This is useful when trying to navigate through areas with a lot of items on the ground. To force an item to be picked up, hold [Alt] while moving over it.

View items on the floor

Press [Alt] during game play to view all items on the floor. The names of the items appear directly above them.

Automatically go to Battle.net

Start the game with the -skiptobnet command line parameter.

Disable preload

Start the game with the -npl command line paramenter.

Disable saves

Start the game with the -nosave command line perimeter.

Disable sound

Start the game with the -ns command line parameter.

In regards to right clicking an item to sell it, items that scale with your level (for example the fools prefix) will sell for more when equipped, but don't right click the item, you must click the sell icon, and then click the item to gain the extra cash.

Num pad numbers 1-7 will make your character say something:
1- c'mon/ follow me
2- a gift for you/ this is yours
3- thanks/ thank you
4- forgive me/ oops
5- bye/ good bye
6- TIME TO DIE! / DIE!
7- run/ run away
(taken from a barbarian, some characters say slightly different things)
Thats all I have at the moment, I'll post latter if I can get some more.

jimmah

Diabloii.Net Member

Type /nopickup to only be able to pick up items when pressing alt. I love it so I don't accidentally pick up that cracked spetum.

lionheartthebrave

Diabloii.Net Member

Level 33 starting character

Start the game with the -act5 command line parameter
This however will remove you from the SP MP/trade pool
In regards to right clicking an item to sell it, items that scale with your level (for example the fools prefix) will sell for more when equipped, but don't right click the item, you must click the sell icon, and then click the item to gain the extra cash.
I thought was in 1.10, not 1.11

theBanger

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought was in 1.10, not 1.11
Still works for me
also

Type /Players 1-8 to adjust the player count of the game, only works single player. This is fair for trade AFAIK, though I rarely play single player.

on b.net

Type /dnd "enter message without quotes" to set do not disturb mode, which prevents all incoming whispers.

Type /away "enter message without quotes". for ex. /away Eating dinner

And the last one I can think of off the top of my head, activate the gem 666 times then creat a game. While in game if you are 90+ and have the standard of heroes type /ubermode while in the secret cow level to fight Reziarfg, a secret extra boss that instantly levels all characters in the game to 99 once he's killed. Click here to watch a tutorial video on how do beat him, he's very difficult.

I'll post anything else of use if I can think of it.

Alc

Diabloii.Net Member

And the last one I can think of off the top of my head, activate the gem 666 times then creat a game. While in game if you are 90+ and have the standard of heroes type /ubermode while in the secret cow level to fight Reziarfg, a secret extra boss that instantly levels all characters in the game to 99 once he's killed. Click here to watch a tutorial video on how do beat him, he's very difficult.
You missed April 1st by months.

CYBERPUNK

Diabloii.Net Member

it's actually too bad that doesn't work =P, considering all the hoopla around the original cow secret in the first Diablo and how they put the cow level in D2, I fully expect Rezfiarfg to make an appearance in a later patch at some point, or D3 at least

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member

When you transmute Khalim's Will or the Horadric Staff, you don't have to wait for the flashy graphics to finish to pick it up. Just click in the empty space inside the cube and you will pick up the completed item. There, I just saved you a couple seconds! :rolleyes:

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, when rushing, there's no need to get the cube. Ever. As long as the rusher has the cube to get the staff completed, you're good. New cubes drop for every player who doesn't have one when you get to Travincal and kill one of the council bosses (which you have to kill anyway in 1.10+)

carnivore

Diabloii.Net Member

get a second game. helps a lot with muling and self rushing.

Summerfun

Diabloii.Net Member

The one keypress that completely changed my D2 experience was the realisation I could press "m" in the menus to turn off the music. I must've heard that bloody LoD intro countless thousands of times. I searched for the option high and low on google, but somehow it never came up, and there was no option in the D2 menu itself so I kind of got used to it ruining my music.
Thats my exact story! i played the game like that from early 1.08 and to about 6 months ago.

It really destroys the music when you are browsing for baal cow/baal runs.

tumpelo

Diabloii.Net Member

Type /nopickup to only be able to pick up items when pressing alt. I love it so I don't accidentally pick up that cracked spetum.
this one is a keeper.. i really find this one useful and didnt no this

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, when rushing, there's no need to get the cube. Ever. As long as the rusher has the cube to get the staff completed, you're good. New cubes drop for every player who doesn't have one when you get to Travincal and kill one of the council bosses (which you have to kill anyway in 1.10+)
When you have 8 people in act 2 game who have just killed the summoner and two people beg until the whole party goes and gets a cube for them, despite your insistence that they can get one from Trav and they only reply with "no, I need one!" it's quite infuriating.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member

Remember to Hostile other players regularly on SC and HC. This will magically make some people Save&Exit.

If you're a Sorc. 1pt Telekinesis will allow you to access WPs, Town Stashes, and activate chests/bodies/stacks. Saves you a couple of seconds here and there. It will also pick up pots and scrolls, especially useful at Throne since you don't want monsters appearing on top of you.

Paladin: remember to key Vigor. Use it extensively in town.
Assassin: key BoS. run around town like crazy.

Configure all your spells to work on a left hand keys. Using the F1-F12 keys are just way too time consuming unless they are for Buffs.

Alc

Diabloii.Net Member

Remember to Hostile other players regularly on SC and HC. This will magically make some people Save&Exit.
The rest of your points are great, but I'm not really sure what this one is about. For one thing if someone hostiles me on sc, I'm not about to S&E, and I'm not sure why I'd constantly be trying to make everyone else leave anyway.

theBanger

Diabloii.Net Member

- Patch 1.12

Downloadable Installer Support

- If all required Diablo 2 '.MPQ' files are installed on the
hard drive, the game will no longer require the CD to play.

For users that originally performed a 'Full Installation'
and wish to run without the CD, all '.MPQ' files should
be copied from the Diablo 2 CDs to the Diablo 2 directory.
Most users will only need to copy D2Music.mpq from the
Diablo 2 Play CD and/or D2xMusic.mpq from the Lord of
Destruction CD. Mac users will need to copy these music
files and rename them to 'Diablo II Music' and
'Diablo II Expansion Music' respectively.

Anyone who did not perform a 'Full Installation' will need
to re-install from CD again to ultimately play without the CD.
In this case, a 'Full Installation' is required, followed by file
copy step noted above.
copy paste from patch.txt :D

In-Game Multiplayer Chat Commands
Press 'Enter' to bring up the chat overlay at the bottom center of the screen. (You will see a flashing "_" cursor.) Type your message and hit 'Enter'. Everyone in your game (who allows it) sees your message in the top left corner of their screen. Bring up your message log by pressing 'M' in order to see the complete history of messages you've received in your game. Below are some examples of the different commands available during gameplay:

![your message]
Prints the message over your head, like a cartoon balloon, so that only the players near you in your game can see your message. The message lasts a few seconds.

/msg [accountname] [message]
Sends the message to the player with the Battle.net account 'accountname' anywhere on Battle.net – in any chat channel or any game – including Diablo, Warcraft, and StarCraft.

NOTE: The 'up-arrow' key recalls the previous 8 messages you typed. Use it when you want to repeat the same message or edit a message slightly before sending it again.

Using Ctrl – Running
Press and hold 'Ctrl' to run. Running outside towns uses Stamina. Be careful not to let your Stamina run out if you are being chased. If your Stamina reaches zero, your character begins walking instead and cannot run. If that happens, you must release 'Ctrl' and stand still for a few seconds to begin recovering Stamina. After your Stamina has started increasing, you may walk and continue to recover Stamina. This recovery continues until it reaches your character's maximum.

NOTE: You may also run by tapping the 'R' key to toggle auto-run mode on. Tap it again to go back to walking mode.

Using Shift – Standing and Attacking
When you want to attack with the left or right mouse button skill without moving to the target of the attack, hold the 'Shift' key down.

Assigning and Using Skill Hotkeys
You may assign 8 hotkeys to automatically ready skills for the left or right mouse buttons. Bring up the Skill buttons (left-click on the left-hand or right-hand skill icon), then move the cursor over each skill and press one of the 8 hotkeys – 'F1' through 'F8' – to assign the hotkey to that skill. When finished, press 'S' or the Spacebar.

Also, in the OPTIONS menu, you can assign keys, and change your F# skill keys to say: "a, s, d, f" rather than "F1, F2, F3, F4"

NOTE: Some skills cannot be assigned to the left mouse button. Any skill can be assigned to the right mouse button.
copy paste from d2readme.html, just took what I thought might be useful

Also, something not mentioned yet. When cursed, you can activate certain shrines to remove the curse, and curses can be used to remove the effects of certain shrines. So be careful in places like the Chaos Sanctuary, and save shrines there to help save your butt in times of dire need (Iron Maiden).
When you transmute Khalim's Will or the Horadric Staff, you don't have to wait for the flashy graphics to finish to pick it up. Just click in the empty space inside the cube and you will pick up the completed item. There, I just saved you a couple seconds! :rolleyes:
So happy when I found that one out :D.

EDIT- any one know why the Facts and Formulae Archive link in the sticky isn't working? I just brings me to a sign in page and doesn't take me anywhere after I sign in.

Last edited: