Tips for Ladder Reset: The Proto-Zon

zrk

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Tips for Ladder Reset: The Proto-Zon

finding the amu and staff can be a real pain actually lol(and not that good xp), if bad luck with searching, so skipping it and doing tomb runs for xp in other a2 games can be a good idea, can help to pipeline the leveling process together with questing

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

I've done it countless times. It is not a pain. 15 minutes max.

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

act 3 is worse. the spiders are nasty, the dungeon dangerous, but it's the trip down into the sewers with their blind alleys and exploding dolls that i hate most. act 2 is easy by comparison.

stephan

Diabloii.Net Member

Well act 3 is definitely longer by comparison, because you have to find out (or be lucky) if the Flayer Jungle is connected to the Spider Forest or to the Great Marsh. It is not the hardship people always make it out to be though. With more experience it easier to guess which way to go, or make it less hard on yourself if you do take a wrong turn.

Act 2 is just mostly wall hugging, and the only thing that's really random there is the arcane...

Obdob

Diabloii.Net Member

+1 to stephan

the whole swamp area can be annoying with all those little flayer running around (and gloams if you have to go through the great marsh), and that's really only if you're still swinging at one target at a time.

Flayed One

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Fend + spear works great in jungles - high weapon range and high speed multi-target attack.
Fend + javs+shield work great in sewers and against spiders.

One could hold off D/A/E until after act 3 annoyances, and deal with them with 1-point fend + 'Malice' Spetum/decent rare Javs+Shield.

It would only cost 2 skill points on a build that is gonna get respecced soon anyway...

DH Amazon

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Fend + spear works great in jungles - high weapon range and high speed multi-target attack.
Fend works, but it is lvl 24 skill. Usually I clear that jungle around lvl 19-24. But surely its one way to handle that problem if you have enough levels.

edit: Exploding arrows works with other classes (with Raven Claw), so it should work even better with ama. With Zephyr bow and Stealth armor you have nice running speed too, so clearing should be fast and quite safe. Lvl 20 ama shoots 100 fire damage exploding arrows untwinked.

Last edited:

Tarantella

Diabloii.Net Member

+1 for Zephyr bow and stealth frw for the shear amount of non levelling time that can be saved early on.

If you've done enough countess runs 3 rals for the ort is better than 3 in a merc weapon.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer

+1 to stephan

the whole swamp area can be annoying with all those little flayer running around (and gloams if you have to go through the great marsh), and that's really only if you're still swinging at one target at a time.
That's where a little Freezing Arrow on switch can come in really handy. Then plug away with strafe and act 3 becomes less of a pain...

DH Amazon

Diabloii.Net Member

That's where a little Freezing Arrow on switch can come in really handy. Then plug away with strafe and act 3 becomes less of a pain...
Normal act3 and lvl 30 skill. Where you plan to get all those levels at start of ladder or are we talking nmare act3 here? Great skill anyway if you have enough levels.

Tecibbar

Diabloii.Net Member

Back to topic. What makes plague javalin so good in leveling is that it's a hit and run skill. You run through the level, throw a javalin once every 4~5 seconds. Keep running and never look back. You get the experience and forget the crappy drops. Use CS on bosses for equipments. In 8 players game, one PJ will kill almost every normal monster until act 4.
PJ works extremely well in flayer jungle.

droid

Diabloii.Net Member

I got a late start to the ladder yesterday but my plague javazon got herself up to NM mode, mostly solo but with a little co-op play and asking for Trav and Ancients WP.

An amazing spot for solo leveling is Eldritch in MP games...your A2 merc tanks, there's rarely any unmanageable adds, and PJ is very effective against the pack. The exp got me from ~24, when I beat Diablo, to 32 about as fast as Baal runs, comparatively, when you factor in downtime in Baal runs. I went ahead and just finished Normal, but you could continue even a few levels past that till you're comfortable with your LF. Its as useful a spot in NM mode, too.

droid

Diabloii.Net Member

Eldritch is the superunique just north of the Bloody Foothills WP. He's super easy to get to fast, and for some reason he and his minions give relatively insane amounts of XP for how tough they are to kill :) Shenk and his ilk, nearby, oddly dont give nearly as much.

MP is multiplayer games...ie finding a game with 6-7 players and just popping in and killing Eldritch.

danc133

Diabloii.Net Member

Back to topic. What makes plague javalin so good in leveling is that it's a hit and run skill. You run through the level, throw a javalin once every 4~5 seconds. Keep running and never look back. You get the experience and forget the crappy drops. Use CS on bosses for equipments. In 8 players game, one PJ will kill almost every normal monster until act 4.
PJ works extremely well in flayer jungle.
That is so true for most areas. If you want to run the council for sol runes etc PL/J works great especially if you toss a LB in between. The trick is to get them all poisoned quickly so they don't keep healing each other. With plague's big radius ( about 6 yards ) it's not difficult and you can get back away from their hydra's that will eat your merc alive. I like using the 1 pt LB because it's auto-hit and gets them down a bit faster. That combo has always worked for me and you can run the outer rim tossing an occasional plague and get gravy experience and gold for gambling. At level 20 wall of the eyeless shield helps with the mana burden because it has it's own leech and 5 MPK. If you are playing smart and herding not just flinging wildly it can keep up with a low level plague. If you don't mind weapon switching alot another option is raven claw on switch its exploding arrows always hit too. Of course it does jack for damage but with cow kings boots and a couple fire charms will speed up the first 3 acts in conjunction with plague. Just be sure to switch back before they start dropping so you get the MPK from Wall of the Eyeless.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!