Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Time to stur up some contraversy (however you spell it) if

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Mar 9, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Time to stur up some contraversy (however you spell it)

The Confederate flag. A symbol of pride? A symbol of prejeduce? A symbol of stupidity and immaturity?

The Confederate flag was the flag of the states which tried to leave the United States of America through means of war. There were many reasons for the war, ect, ect.

Anyway, on to today. The flag of the Confederate states is becoming more and more widely seen, on everything from shirts to cars. Do you agree with people doing this? For what reason?

I beleive that wearing a symbol of "Soutern Pride" is neither prideful or discrtiminatory. I find it rather stupid. And that definetly goes fro northerners. I live in the northeast US and I see these shirts daily, by many people. How many of them really had relatives who fought for the south. Probably only few. They say pride. I saw why would you have pride in a society that revolved around slavery and one that lost it's bid to sucede. They say rebellion. I say the rebellion was defeated, which leads to my pride argument.

What does everyone else think about this?

Keep in mind that it is their right regardless.

Ok, now I will force myself to bed.

2. Akira

Akira Member

Not until you scan your handwriting young man.

3. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

The confederate flag is the symbol for the most kick *** t.v. show car ever, the General Lee.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You ever lived in the South, Piff? I have and I reckon I can make it short and sweet. No one really cares except for some easily offended folks (read: Northerners). Not black folks in the South; not the long hairs in Little Five Points; not no one (pardon the grammar)

What makes it worse is that the cats who are all about the Confederate battle flag - which is the flag to which you are refering - keep on claiming "States' Rights" instead of just saying, "We were about slavery." The irony of course is that the dudes who sport the flag and are the most vehement about their right to display it wouldn't have had the capital to purchase a slave back in the day.

I had relatives that fought on both sides during the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression). It's part of U.S. history. If you want to sport the Confederate battle flag, knock yourself out; just be prepared for hassling.

Besides, it's just a cheap rip off of the St. Andrew's cross. I think the Stars and Bars is more attractive, but that's just me.

5. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Every time I see those it's being sported by all the redneck cowboys so from my experience I don't like them.

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

Slavery is abolished. They can wear the flag all they want. Unless of course it disrupts into civil war...

7. Akira

Akira Member

i wasn't whistling dixie Durf, were you whistling dixie?

8. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

my gf's school has its mascot as a confederate...
    makes sense since they're the Eastwood Rebels, but... we're in Canada!

9. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

this is, of course, true... except that the General Lee is the SECOND best t.v. show car ever (it would be 3rd, but the A-Team van doesn't count)

but also I would say the confederate flag represents the idealogical divide between the north and south that survives to this day

10. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

i thought it was a sign of inbreeding.

On a more serious note, (to the south) why would you want to fly a flag that basically reminds everyone of how the north beat you down?
    (to the north) You already beat them down, let them have the flag.
    (to those who say it's racist) grow some thicker skin. it was once very much about that but symbols change. The flag is tacky but a burning cross it ain't.

I vote for the flag being stupid by the way.

11. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

4 words: Herbie the Love Bug

Go ahead. Fly the flag. No biggie. If folks are allowed to burn the Northern one, why the Hell shouldn't folks be able to fly the Southern one? As if the latter is more offensive than the former? I mean sweet Jesus some people are thin-skinned.

12. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

PLF,
    While your views on the flag seem to be close to mine I disagree with you. I'm not sure about what yet but just on general principal you are wrong.

Go Red Sox

13. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

For me, the confederate flag is symbolic of the confederate south that supported a horrific institution. I also understand that the flag stood for much more than that, but that's what I think about when I see the flag. We can further that and say that at one point the U.S. flag was symbolic or slavery as well as this was a national institution for a few hundred years or so prior to the division of the nation. So...

Pot. Kettle. Black. (though I heard on the radio today that this term is a racist term???? can anyone verify this?).

And on a more personal note...

The Mystery Machine (Scooby Doo van). Best. Vehicle. Ever.

14. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

#1-KITT
    #2-General Lee

and if we get to include all vehicles then I nominate Enterprise and Pacific Princess

15. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I came from the "North".

I live in the "South".

I have loaded guns.

16. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I think that you should all be happy that neither flag looks like a giant nosebleed :p

17. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Morality and symbolism aside, I think many of the people who wear it have seen Gone With the Wind a few too many times and haven't cracked enough history books.

Then again, looking at the average U.S. History textbook and its laughably "unbiased" view, maybe they have.

18. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

Well, my understanding was that it is to do with the fact that when cooking was done over and open fire pots and kettles both got black, so it was silly for the pot to make fun of the kettle as it was dirty as well. This sounds like a case of someone assuming that any usage of the word black is rasist.

In my opinion the Confederate flag stands for slavery no more than the regular US flag does. The majority of the Confederate soldiers were not slave owners and in most cases didn't care a whole lot about slavery. They were fighting for their homes and their states. They weren't even nessecarily fighting for state rights or the right to succeed, in many cases they were fighting because the North had invaded their home.

19. sortanevermind

sortanevermind IncGamers Member

While I have no qualms about the average redneck flying the flag, what pisses me off is the way people are dying to fly it over state legislatures and so on. If the flag is a part of history and pride of the state, then it really doesn't have a whole lot of relevance to current affairs, and there's no need for it to appear in a modern place of government. If it does have any current implications and representations about the nature of any office or assembly, then I think it does need to be taken down, simply because slavery and rebellion have both basically been left legally legless.

20. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

I think thats part of it. Down here in the South, many see the flag as a reminder that we lost the war. I almost equate that with the way the POW-MIA flag is flown as a reminder/representation of the fact that we got our butts kicked in Vietnam. One of the biggest things from all the history classes i remember about the Civil War and us getting beaten down is the fact that in teh siege of Vicksburg, you had confederate soldiers, starving to death, peeing in buckets in doctor's offices so that the urine could be boiled down and somehow be used to make more gunpowder. Its that type of hardheadedness and reluctance to back down on their beliefs that prompts me to fly the flag...and yes, i do fly the flag...right underneath the American Flag.

Did you know that when Mississippi raised a vote to take the Confederate Flag off their state flag a few years ago, almost 90% of the Mississippi population went to the polls and destroyed the motion voting almost 80% in opposition. I think its part of our cultural identity to associate ourselves with a firm belief in sticking to what we believe is right.

I also, in response to the beginning of sortanevermind's post, have qualms with people thinking that the only people who fly the flag are average run of the mill rednecks.