Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Time to move on

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Fabian, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Time to move on

It's time for me to make my "I'm quitting" post. Earlier today I got a computer virus which prompted me to reformat my computer. I backuped my ATMA stashes, but too late did I realize I hadn't saved my actual characters, where I keep the majority of my good gear. Rather than scrambling around old email backups and ATMA backups etc to see what I can salvage, I realize this is the time to put this game behind me. I've felt that it's time for a few weeks now, during which I've actually barely played at all, which is very uncommon for me under normal circumstances. I've wasted a lot of time on this game, time I've often wished I spent on better things. For instance, I've been a proffessional poker player for over 6 years, since I was 17, but in the last ~2 years I've barely played poker at all due to having "better" things to do while on the computer, including playing Diablo. Looking back, I very much regret how I've fallen behind in my "career choice" for the opportunity to better optimize my Travincal runners, so to speak.

I'm pretty sure I'll still hang around in some capacity, I enjoy the threads and the community around here too much to leave entirely. I haven't even completely ruled out a bit of occasional tournament playing, or something like that. There won't be a goodbye giveaway this time though, sorry, you guys have enough wealth as it is :) The one exception to that is that I'll try to track down an email backup of the [email protected] eth Sacred Targe Exile frozzen gave away to me for PvPing. I'll send it back if I can find it.

Having played for so long as I have, I definitely can't help but feel a bit of nostalgia when thinking of the items I've now deleted. In the last few years, I've grown very attached to my diablo items, feeling a sense of pride over the stuff I've amassed. Definitely a bittersweet goodbye.

Thanks to everyone for having been part of my Diablo experience over the last 3+ years. Finally, let me give you some parting advice; get into PvP! Thanks for reading, as always.

2. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

Re: Time to move on

Very sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed your "optimization" threads, so I'm glad you'll still hand around. Good luck in the rl!

3. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

I'm very sorry to see you go Fabian, I've gotten a lot of priceless help from your posts. Best of luck with the poker games!

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

See you at the tables.

5. alvar

alvar IncGamers Member

Sorry to see you go. Maybe you'll be back for D3?...
    Best of luck in RL!

6. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Enjoy your freedom!

7. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Poker you say? I really wouldn't see this coming. Considering what kind of odds you had to fight here in diablo, I guess poker should be cakewalk to you now :wink: Shame to see you go but but I hope it's for the better.

I learned ton from your threads. Great stuff there and lots of useful informations.
    Too bad that with all your competitiveness you didn't have time to enjoy PvP, or breaking sub 2 min runs with your zon, but I'm sure that you had good times here on forums and that time spent here was worth it.

Good luck with future endeavors and fun times without good ol d2 :wave:

8. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear that Fabs. Of course it might be for the better. Personally, I am starting to think that I am done with D2 SP, but as long as my chars/stashes are available, I find it hard to completely quit.

Anyway, good luck on your next projects :)

9. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

I'm sorry to hear it - you've contributed a lot here.

I'm sympathetic, though - I shudder to think where my career could be if I hadn't spent as much time as I did on D2...

I certainly hope you remain active on the forum, at least...

10. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Maybe it's too soon then! I've had no problems leaving an entire grail and whatnot behind ;) Well, I know they're out there somewhere in an e-mail...

11. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Sorry to see you go, Fabian! But as long as you'll be participating in a tournament from time to time, I'm ok ;-)

I won't say goodbye since you promised to drop by every once in a while! Would be a shame if you left for good, really.

Hope you make good use of your non-D2 time! :thumbup:

12. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

You'll be back....:wave:

13. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

I understand what you mean. I sometimes feel like I'm wasting time on this game too. Other times, it's too much fun to stop.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do next as your time-filler. Don't be a stranger!

--Greebo

14. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

That was really an unfortunate event. I do hope you come back in some form, but finding the balance you need so you don't have that sort of regretful feeling after a while.

I've read every other post of yours and am confident to say you're a great player and your "parting" is a great loss to this community. I've been a lurker for years though, and know in the flesh it's impossible to leave this place completely :p

Cya around, whatever way it may be!

15. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Really sorry to hear this. I have always enjoyed your wonderful threads and your contributions to the community are really great.
    All the very best with whatever you choose in RL :)

16. Rummski

Rummski IncGamers Member

Sorry to see you go Fabian. Hopefully the feeling will pass and you'll be back trying to squeeze every millisecond from a run or life, DPS, etc from some other char. Good luck at the tables and enjoy life as that's the only thing that really matters.

17. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Enjoy hitting those tables, Fabian, and best of luck to you.

18. hardwaredin

hardwaredin IncGamers Member

Good luck in your future endeavors!! come back to visit us if you have time!

19. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Best of luck Fabian. Hope you don't forget us entirely. ;)

20. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Hey, you know the old saying that goes: 'You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave'.

It´s very true of this game. Myself, I´ve just had a rather long break, but the Gold Digger´s tourney brought me back. You just never know.
    (I don´t move items between characters, so I guess I would have a harder time leaving because I can just set myself a challenge, make a new character and go for it.)

Poker, eh? What type of game do you play mostly, and is it mainly cash games or tournaments?

I also play poker. NLHE tournaments (both Sit and Go and Multi-table) almost exclusively, although I´ve dipped my toes in really low buy-in Omaha tourneys a couple of times, but that game sure is weird...

Although I am far from a professional, about 15% of my income over the last three years have come from poker.

Lycka till med (det förhoppningsvis ökande) pokerlirandet! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010