Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tim Russert dead at 58

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wakiki, Jun 14, 2008.

1. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Tim Russert dead at 58

I was stunned by the news. Tim Russert was not simply in a class of his own, he was far, far above the quality that you get from other news venues. He had the astoundingly rare mixture of intelligence, passion for his work, and an amazing humane vibe. By the last point I mean that he was secure about himself, and respected everyone else, and never gloated when he "scored" a political "point." I know of many people who have two of these three qualities, but Tim is the only one to possess all three. His respect extended not just to his guests but to his audience: he would clearly explain a point, but would never belabor it under the assumption that his viewers were not as intelligent as he.

He is by far the greatest journalist of our time, and his departure has left a gaping hole in the political world. I have no idea what I'm going to do without him...I'm the sort of political junkie who watches all three major networks, but whenever I saw Tim Russert's face I would listen to what he had to say, no matter what. After the initial shock, once the facts had sunk in, I even cried, which is something I have never done for someone I didn't know personally. I think it's because he was more than just a "public figure" -- he projected sincerity in everything he did, and enriched my life because of it.

Here's an example of what made me like him so much. You guys remember during an NBC Democrat debate, co-hosted by Russert, when Hillary complained about getting the questions first all the time. Paraphrasing: "You know, I'd just like to point out that I always seem to get the first question in these debates. I'm not complaining -- I'm glad to answer them, I just think that it's interesting."

The rest of the debate went on normally, but I was watching the post-debate analysis, and Tim Russert blew my mind. He explained that for the next question that he asked, he did not pose it to either of the candidates -- in fact, he didn't even look at them, but stared right between them. He said that when he performed that little experiment, Hillary jumped in and answered it first.

Very intelligent. But what makes it more impressive is that he didn't gloat about it afterwards. A more insecure person would have rubbed it in during the debate, and made Hillary feel small. Russert didn't mention it during the debate, and what impresses me even more is that he didn't make a big deal out of it when he explained it afterwards. He simply explained his experiment, then moved on to other subjects. His viewers could decide what to make of that fact on their own. This is what ultimately defines Tim Russert.

I really regret not watching him more often. I'm only 21, have only been interested in politics for four years, and only discovered his show even more recently. Sigh. There's simply no one else on TV like him. Will someone come up to take his place? I suppose we will find someone eventually. But not for a while. Certainly not for this election. I will miss him during the next months. Damn, I'm even getting choked up writing this...

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Re: Tim Russert dead at 58

Nice - now search the name in this topic and repost where people already are talking about this.
    Edit - OK I forgot this place is really dead as well. My apologies

I have seen some many threads on this today I thought I saw one here, did someone sprout off and they killed it or have the intelligent political people all been killed or left?
    In both cases its a great loss

3. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

I too am sadenned by Tim Russert's death. He was a good journalist, a good son, and a good man. I haven't read his books, but I enjoyed his conversations about his father.

I don't want to downplay his importance or your praise of Mr. Russert at a time like this, but I would point out that there are other excellent television journalists - Jim Lehrer of the Newshour on PBS, and Brian Lamb, who founded C-SPAN.

4. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

I check the first two pages in this forum and assumed that no one had made a thread yet (thought I was surprised by this fact).

Thanks for giving me these recommendations -- I'll keep them in mind.

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The sudden death of someone so vibrant and lively as Russert is a shock.

He will be missed.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Sunday mornings won't be the same. Not only was Russert incredibly smart, but he was also incredibly non-partisan, a rare quality in today's journalistic world.

7. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

/care .

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It was kinda scary how fast the news channels had memorial pieces. Larry King, sure, I can understand having his tribute planned out, but Russert certainly seemed in good health and fairly young.

9. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well he had lots of co-workers at NBC. I'm sure quite a few people pulled a very late night last night to pay tribute to their departed friend.

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Russert was one of the few decent, intelligent journalists out there, and he'll surely be missed. He pointed numerous times to the lack of actual scrutiny in the media, in favor of partisanship.

However, I find it spectacular that there's a massive jailbreak in Afghanistan, and the press doesn't cover it because they're so busy lionizing Russert. From what he said in life, he'd not have appreciated the uneven coverage.

11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I read somewhere that NBC got scooped on getting the news out on his death because they were trying to get a hold of his wife and kids and let them know first before reporting it and the other news organizations did not wait.

Kind of nice to see that kind of integrity from NBC at least.

12. Kevin William Cox

Kevin William Cox IncGamers Member

A good man, a good father, a good husband. I always admired his style, and the way he carried himself, he will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace.

Kev

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Very sad indeed.

I've always wanted to read his book.

This is news to me. Late Friday night they were saying that everyone had waited until after NBC released it.

14. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Anyone know if his body was checked for pin pricks?

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Way to ruin a respectable thread, Rash.

Yes, there was an autopsy done. I think what's being considered is that he had got off a transatlantic flight just before his collapse, and they're thinking there might have been a clot due to the trip.

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

If I hadn't had respect for him, I wouldn't have asked...

17. Johnny

Johnny Banned

You think he was assassinated by the KGB?