Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thursdaily / Rantdaily

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by omgwtfbbqpwned, Aug 5, 2010.

1. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Thursdaily / Rantdaily

RL: It's a tad past midnight, so I'm just about to sleep.

D2: Okay so here's the rant. I know most of the daily posters here have no idea who/what/when/where/why Diablo 2 is despite being on a Diablo 2 board, so apologies in advance (I keed, I keed). There are two classes I share a hate/love relationship with in D2. One being the Assassin, and the other being the Necromancer. So here I am, all happy/erect and whatnot, browsing through some Assassin guides to garner some new ideas. I'm skimming through some guides, and on occasion, I'll see something along the lines of: "Kill one monster. Use DS and clear screen faster than Lindsey Lohan gets her Get Out Of Jail Free Card". Oh, how I absolutely abhor Lohan. She wasn't even good in Mean Girls. I rather go watch 2 Girls 1 - okay maybe not. But it's a pretty close call. You know what's a good movie though? Inception. Go watch it if you haven't already.

So it's a pretty common theme for underpowered Necromancer/Assassin builds. Use underpowered x and then win with CE/DS. CE/DS are so ground breaking at skill level 1, it's like an automatic win, and I daresay even more win than this.

My reaction to such builds?

[​IMG]
    (Sorry Greebo)

Damn it guys, don't mislead my eager virgin heart to a guide that says "Kicker" when it's just a DSSin. No offence to you maxicek, I love your DC guide and I will try it one of these days, but I will never ever touch DS with that build. Putting me and DS/CE together is like putting LeBron and West on the same team. "Pass the ball to your future daddy, son." Helllll no.

I ain't calling a Druid that uses Arctic Blast to chill enemies before proceeding to Fury everything on the screen to death an Arctic Blast Druid. Sorry if I sound like a Right-Wing Fascist/Hater (or you can use the term I've just coined, the Fas.. ter. The Faster.), but really, I'm not. He is though. I use CE/DS occasionally too - for MFing, when I need to plow through something really quickly, etc. I just don't make it my mainstream skill when my build's namesake is something entirely different. I just happen to share the same views as Low Key and Colourless Green. Builds centered around CE and/or DS (but named something else) are so... colourless.

So what's the point of my rant? I'm not sure. TL;DR, I'm heading to bed now. But before I do, if you're not spamming Paradigm's wall for being a Faster, then please this one instead. He thinks Breast Plates look good on Amazons. lolwut? ;p (Just kidding, just kidding)

OVG: Pew pew pew pew pew pew... tomorrow.

Have a great Thursday all.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Re: Thursdaily / Rantdaily

Assassin you say? Why of course 'sins are the best class.

[​IMG]

3. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

@OMG: That was a fun read :D.I have the same sentiments about those skills, especially Death Sentry. CE less so, but that's because bowties are cool. CE at least fits a theme of death the necromancer has.

RL: No plans today.

D2: Probably not.

OVG: Yesterday I played Titan Quest all day. I think I'm getting RSI in my index finger. Me and Dune killed the Act3 boss though. Will try to play using the mouse with my left hand today. I hope that doesn't hurt my brain or something.

4. nualum

nualum IncGamers Member

Excellent rant!

RL: work
    D2: rolling 1.07 maps, looking for weapons. Not the most interesting activity in the world, but I did pop Mav's belt off an unstable armor rack last night, and interesting damage charms keep showing up, so it's enough to keep me going.

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

RL: Twisted my ankle yesterday and in falling, re-injured my arm. Been that kind of summer. Getting old and getting sore. Have to do something bout it. So no work, but I'll start planning for the weekend. Going to Orange County for a party this weekend... should be fun.

D2: Exploring a new map with my Druid. He's doing fine, but I had to reset his map to socket some stuff and waste his imbues on two worthless diadems.

6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

RL: Took the kids to meet their teachers for school, which starts Monday.

D2: My 1.09 Necro (Melee/Minion Artillary Necro, or MMAN - I'm considering writing a build if I can Pat him) is now a Slayer. Running P8 Baal in Normal a couple of times is (a) cake, using all those Frenzytaurs as Revives, and (b) produces RIDICULOUS experience - almost a level per run. I found a home for that 13/36 Shimmering Grand Charm of Vita I found - my MF barb had been running with 50-65 across the board, so I replaced the Sounding GC with that, and now his resists are positively respectable.

One thing I've noticed - the MBAN 1.09 Necro guide I read talks about struggling to NM Act 2 to get the right merc. Well, MasterGomez had not stuggled in the least (crazy twinking FTW), and in fact has had an incredibly easy time with Ancients and Baal. So, I'm thinking of penning a 1.09 Necro build AND a 1.09 twinking guide (only as it departs from Thyiad's guide at level 15 - my twinking approach focuses on combining multiple partial sets to make a character effectively invulnerable for Normal).

7. Grapeape

Grapeape IncGamers Member

RL: nothing particularly interesting going on today.

D2: just got my necro to 89 (10 more to go :D) going to try my hand at baal runs... i'm getting sick of seeing chaos sanc after 3,000 something runs i've done there this week. perhaps baal will be kind enough to drop some interesting stuff.

8. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

It was on of those "Wake up - time to die" days.
    Get up thinking that it's just regular day, but instead your parents are home and you are going to suffer under their Tyrant clubs. Since it's Rantdaily it suits description perfectly.

RL: I spend 12 days picking blackberries and routine was - until your fingers don't fall off or until you die. Since I'm writing here it means I somehow avoided both cases.
    So after I got home and started watching some anime junk Nagi filled me with ( :p ). H.O.T.D. is really good if you take in consideration that I hate zombies and their kind from core of my being, I realized that only 5 episodes are out and that I have to wait 3 days for next one, and then probably 3 days for subs?? THIS IS MADNESS!!
    I'm next to broken after all this and I'm going to bed soon.
    [/rant]

D2: Really? :p

9. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Member

RL: steamy piles of usual, gogo.

D2: Still considering the golden tourney.

RB: Stuck on Universalizability and the failure of people to implement CI in their daily decision making. Human Frailty is the easy answer, and it's probably correct, but I'll just keep burning through examples of our failure to adhere to something as simple as CI, or even one of its watered-down cousins. Sooner or later, I'll hit on some tangent and take off into a new topic, maybe tonight...

10. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

@James: What does CI stand for??

11. jamesixgun

jamesixgun IncGamers Member

@Pijus: CI=Kant's Categorical Imperative. "Act to that maxim, and that maxim alone, which you can, at the same time and in the same way, will to be a universal law."

12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

@omg: A fun read.

@JayGun: Silly, CI means Cold Immune. Surely you can't have a life outside of Diablo? :p

RL: My penultimate shift at Mickey D's turned out to be mundane and nonchalant, but yet celebrated with a race home. Still got a lot of packing to do.

D2: Killed another HC char, don't know whether to leave it alone for a while, try a new build or go overboard and restart immediately.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010