Thunder Maul

Of Wolf and Man

Diabloii.Net Member
Thunder Maul

Hi people.

I'm new to this whole forum shannanigans so excuse me if I have put this in the wrong place.

After taking a break from D2, 6 years off, I have built a pure fury Druid. I stumbled accross this forum when char was at lvl 70ish.

I'm just wanting to know what your thought on the thunder maul were. I have very little in the way of runes so cant afford all the best gear, have so far traded for Jalal's and Goreriders.

Most wolves on these forum's seem to be rib-happy, but after looking at the stats, both have 50% cb, the only advantage i can see is faster hit speed. Is the rib preference due to the fact that Thunder requires quite a lot of str???

Thinking I may have to re-spec my druid as I have put quite a few skill points into both str and dex, only have like 150ish vit and am at lvl86. Should I scrap this char and pass gear onto new wolf and go with ribcracker??

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Thunder Maul

Thunder Maul? You mean Earth Shifter? There's a guide for that.

Ribby is better overall because it's faster, gives massive FHR, and has minimal reqs to equip.

CYBERPUNK

Diabloii.Net Member

Bears sometimes favor the thunder maul and there's a pretty cool Earth Shifter (a unique Thunder Maul) build linked in the druid guides at the top of the druid forum section

damn you Verashiden =P, you beat me to it

Of Wolf and Man

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry guys I got it way wrong. Its actually WindHammer Ogre Maul. Apologies I was at work therefore D2 wasnt really accessible.

Do you think I need to re-build my Wolf?

CYBERPUNK

Diabloii.Net Member

well I'll say this, there's two sides to this coin

side 1:
you're fine, play your druid/wolf how you want to, ask yourself: "self, am I having fun?" and if self answers: "holy crap YES we are having fun bashing skulls in with this massive honking piece of iron/steel/lead/whathaveyou attached to a thick oak shaft while occasionally throwing crazy *** tornadoes in our wake"

then I think you're ok, btw don't read into the homosexuality of the above statements from 'self', that was kinda weird but it happens when it's after midnight and you're slamming vodka/redbulls

ANNYWAYSS!

side dos:

you look at you char and wish you were UBER l22t, or uber l33t, whichever is cooler, and you wanna be like Kiba or have a specced out build like some of the ones listed at the top of the druid forums

well in that case, yeah you might wanna roll up a new char/druid/whatever

but don't delete the other guy, at the very least keep him around for memories, or to carry stuff like the pack mules that everyone else uses (try not to get carried away and have 20+ accts and TONSZ of mules like some pll do, and that is NO exaggeration)

aight well I think I've rambled on enough and this glass is WAYYY too full

peace out

AWROOOOOOOOOO!

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member

Wind Hammer is fine, but even better is the Immortal King maul, together with the boots, belt and gloves. They're all very cheap but combined you have huge damage, 40% crushing blow and enough elemental damage to take care of PIs.

CYBERPUNK

Diabloii.Net Member

yeah InMyHumbleOpinion the only downside to using one of the HUGE HONKING mauls is that they're 2 handed but dont give range 4-5

but that's the tradeoff for the massive dmf that most of them bring, whether unique/set/whathaveyou

bears used to be all about huge mauls, but then synergies and 1.10-1.11b came out and now everyones all Fire Claws and 10k-ish fire dmg, so it doesn't really matter what you're swinging or if you're a wolf or bear

and yeah I'm getting further and further OT, blah blah, I know =P

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm new to this whole forum shannanigans so excuse me if I have put this in the wrong place.
Welcome to the forums, you'll find the Druid forum here is full of shenanigans. :wave:

I was going to say so myself, and will echo Ed there and say an IK maul would be another cheap and well-rounded choice (as would a Ribby). Here's that Town Dump WereBear guide he was mentioning as well.

Of Wolf and Man

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks heaps for the info guys. Nice to see nubs don't get slammed anywhere near as hard in D2 as they do in Counter-strike!!! Your right about the PI's they pretty much the only thing ginving me grief in Hell.

BAMFSpecialOps

Diabloii.Net Member

You could use a high ele dmg wep switch to take care of PI's or atmas ammy for the ctc amp which will take most of the immunities away.

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member

You could use a high ele dmg wep switch to take care of PI's or atmas ammy for the ctc amp which will take most of the immunities away.
Yes you could. Or you could simply use the IK maul and have CtA on switch and wear Highlords for the Deadly Strike.

My point is that Windhammer is ok but the IK maul is better; no need to go out of your way to use Windhammer.