Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Throwing weapons/shield build

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sir_Matas, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Sir_Matas

Sir_Matas IncGamers Member

Throwing weapons/shield build

Hi,

Just for fun, I thought I'd try a build utilizing throwing weapons. I started making a Ranger but decided I'd like to use a shield if possible for blocking/resists. This will be an *untwinked* character. I just use what I find.

Skills

I plan to max Fanaticism and use it for my standard attack. I plan to max Conviction and use it with throwing weapons with +fire/lightning/cold. This will be my backup against PIs.

I'm considering putting a lot of points in Redemption. The reasons are (1) maintain health regardless of ability to leech (vs. PIs/undead), (2) get rid of corpses so they can't be raised, and (3) because I've always wanted to ;)

Weapons

I plan to use the weapon switch and keep my Fanaticism equipment on tab 1 and Conviction equipment on tab 2.

For Fanaticism, I'll use whatever throwing axes or javelins I can find with a good mix of damage, speed, and stack size. This will change over time.

For Conviction, I'll use the best +elemental damage throwing axe/javelin I can find. I'll probably keep a backup with a different element in the stash if I hit a boss that is PI and resistant to my regular elemental weapon.

Merc

I'm leaning towards either the Holy Freeze or Defiance Act II merc. Any suggestions? Which would help me more, and which will stay alive more?

Benefits

So far this build is not skill-intensive, so I can invest in skills like Redemption. This build uses 0 mana, so no +energy or mana leech equipment is needed. Due to use of Redemption, dependence on life leech may be reduced (though still needed for boss fights). By investing in Conviction rather than Holy X + Resist X, I can kill any monster provided I can find 2 decent +elemental damage throwing weapons.

Issues

When using Fanaticism, my AR may be an issue. I plan to keep Dex fairly high and use +AR equipment.

When using Conviction, I'll obviously be totally dependent on finding a good +elemental damage weapon.

Does this sound doable? Insane? An exact copy of something for which a guide already exists?

2. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

This sounds sort of like niner's Whateverdin with the slight difference that his build requires some of the most expensive equipment in the game and yours is untwinked.

This build, like many other ranged builds, almost requires a good merc to succeed. I suggest Holy Freeze since you'll be repositioning a lot and Holy Freeze just makes that much easier; the slow also lands on just about everything and that should up your merc's survivability by leaps and bounds.

I would make sure to check the breakpoints on throwing weapons you might use before you start, since the speed may be so horrible it might not be worth putting points into Fanatacism and you may want to just use Conviction as a main aura.

3. Sir_Matas

Well, according to http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english, for a balanced axe, I can hit 9fpa with lvl 20 Fanat and only 20% IAS. With level 0 Fanat I'd need 90% IAS. I was also counting on the big damage boost from Fanat since my primary attack is based on physical damage. Does that seem right? I dunno if that site is up to date.

From a different thread, I saw that using Holy Shield is like having a ton of faster blocking. So at 1 point there? I can see already in Act 1 Normal that being block-locked is death.

4. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Unless your defense is very low you won't get block-locked much, and like I said before, your merc will be the key to keeping you alive; you should strive to never get hit.

9 frame attack is still pretty damn slow, if I were you I would either focus on doing elemental damage or physical damage.

If elemental I would probably max Vengeance as a melee attack and throw the weapons from ranged whenever possible; keeping Conviction as a main aura.

If physical max Zeal for an inclose attack and ranged them with Fanatacism on.

Maxing both seems like it would be to weak to survive past Nightmare.

I haven't really tested a build like yours though, maybe others will be more insightful.

5. Sir_Matas

FWIW, I just finished Act 5 Normal. I know, I'm slow. I don't play every day, and I'm playing single player, /players 4, untwinked.

Good Things: Using javelins/throwing axes with a shield provides similar damage to a bow plus blocking and great resists. Equipment-wise, I've found a few good rares and 2 uniques so I think my resists will already be at or near max during NM. Lots of fun to play. This build owns fast, low hit point guys like the Act 5 imps. The shield allows for some tanking (so far), although it is not as effective as ranged attacks. Died once so far. Act II merc is tough with lvl 14 Fanaticism + Defiance + Jab + life leech pike. No mana use (at all!) means mana-burn monsters are no trouble. Level 10 Redemption has minimized the power of resurrecting monsters.

Challenges: Not sure if I"ll be able to scale my damage and AR to handle NM/Hell difficulty - we'll find out. Large groups are slow due to no area of effect attack. Unable to use rune words on weapon since throwing weapons have no sockets. Going back to town every 30 seconds to replenish stack of javelins is beyond annoying.

Overall: Lots of fun so far.