Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Throwing questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Throwing questions

Throwing axes count as axes when swung, javelins count as spears the same way, but do daggers and knives count as swords? I know it isn't the other way around, since Necromancers can't use Poison Dagger with a sword, but I wanted to make sure for Barbarian masteries.

Staves, scepters, wands and orbs count as maces for Barb mastery purposes, as well (yeah, yeah, they can't wield orbs), but do potions get the throwing bonuses of critical strike or anything else? I know they don't need attack rating or get enhanced damage, I just want clarity.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

No, a barb does not have a mastery that helps when you melee with a dagger.
    Amazons are probably the best dagger users. Critical Strike and Penetrate work with any weapons, and their base attack speed with daggers is great.

Since potions deal no physical damage, Critical Strike won´t help. Conviction should boost the damage from exploding potions, Lower Resist should boost both types.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Nuts

Was hoping the same kind of critical hit for healing and mana potions existed for weapon potions, as well. Well, at least I can plan not to use throwing knives with my dual-sword wielder. Thanks.

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Throwing knives still do get the bonuses from Throwing Mastery, only when thrown of course.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Normal and exceptional throwing knives deal more damage when thrown and elite ones deal the same damage, so it doesn't make sense to use them in melee and thus invest into anything but throw mastery. Another advantage is that throwing won't trigger IM.