Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Throwing Potions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Parapsycho, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Parapsycho

Parapsycho IncGamers Member

Throwing Potions

I saw this topic come up in another thread, and so I decided to bring it over to a new thread.

Throwing Potions:
    Anyone use them? Are they completely worthless? would it be possible to make a build that uses them extensively?

The only time I have really used throwing potions was in conjunction with ShockWeb, with my assassin. I would throw down some shockers, then throw a poison gas potion on top of that. It worked rather well.

Hmm. Im always looking to try new builds. Maybe a potion thrower is in order.
    Three questions:
    1.) Does find potion turn up throwing potions, or just healing/mana pots.
    2.) Does Double Throw work with throwing potions?
    3.) Do any skills for any character affect throwing potions, even if it is a bug?

If the answer to those is no, I will probably use an assassin build of some sort. I had a "human cannon" build that specialized in FireBlast/ShockWeb. If I throw in poison gas potions, that would add another element to the mix....

[edit] Im going to try a Potion-throwing Necromancer. Im going with the Necro, because I think Amplify damage will work with it. I can also use dim vision and Decrepify to slow monsters, while I blast away.

2. Gyro

Gyro IncGamers Member

I would think that lower resist would be what your necro would use to amplify your poison damage. Doesn't amp just apply to phsyical?

Would bramble have any effect on potion damage?

3. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

It´s an interesting idea but I don´t think it would be working in Hell. I suppose that lower resist is the only skill which can effect this kind of damage, Decrepify will only slow monsters and weak their p dmg - - amp dmg works with p dmg only and potions couses fire or poison dmg.
    Barbarian dubbel throw gives faster attack, makes AR better and that´s all. May be together with a LR wand could it work but not past middle NM. Funy build and tons of skill points over so may be worth to try anyway :)
    Assa can cast fast with her BoS and have some other skills which can help CoS for instance... Just a couple of ideas

4. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

Barbarian double throw helps, but as I understand, it will go through the potions too fast for it to be a viable build. Throwbarbs always have quantity problems. I think throwing potions are just worthless and in there to make sure that good items don't drop so often.

5. Parapsycho

I thought throw skills didnt work with potions..... What about Throwing Mastery?

[edit] I dont expect to be able to get very far in NM with a potion thrower. I just wanted to see If it would work through Normal. Im looking for a challenging build, that will be fun to play.

6. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

There are a lot of skills that would enhance attack rating. Double Throw, Fanatism, Concentration, Conviction, Heart of the Wolverine, Penetrate, Cloak of Shadows, Lower Resist (will add damage), most obvious -- though stupid at the same time would be a Enchantress. With max FM and Enchant going to amp her damage. This might be the real thrower you are looking for.

-- I don't even know if potion throwing is AR based. It actually probably isn't.

7. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Im thinking that potions are treated more like spells in how they target... it's an explosion/poison cloud so it doesn't really need a lot of accuracy :p

8. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

If only enchant worked on throwing potions (5k throwing potions... that would actually be pretty fair) and poison dagger worked on gas potions (Picture that poison damage!)

9. Vidaeus

Vidaeus IncGamers Member

Hmmm...I only ever used throwing potions at low levels (1-10ish) because they'd do more damage than me. Also, I wouldn't have thought AR would matter, just like it doesn't for spells. Isn't the damage from throwing potions ridiculously low to be viable in anything past Act 1?

10. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I've used them in the Arcane Sanctuary and the damage wasn't good, but it eventually killed.

Does anyone know that you can't enchant a potion thrower?

11. Christopher Sin

Christopher Sin IncGamers Member

There was a discussion during the beta about Unique throwing potions, or lack thereof. You could mod the game and make your own Unique potions that are hell viable, it's pretty fun. ^^

12. Parapsycho

I did some tests with amplify damage, and it worked with fire potions.

I dunno if Enchant would work with potions, because the game doesnt treat potions as weapons in that respect. FireMastery on the other hand might work, because it affects any fire damage that you do.

Yeah, a mod would be fun to do. I would add some freezing potions, and electrolytic potions. What would you guys want to see?

13. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

If amplify works with potions it it amazing and totally unlogical but... good :lol:
    In this case - may be - even enchant or poison dagger would work. I will test it. I am making a "nonsens build" right now and Enchant will be maxed there. It is not logical that it would work but it´s not logical either that Amplify works.

14. insenothepunk

insenothepunk Banned

Hey if you make a mod you should make uniques potions that have replenish mods on them. That way you don't have to run around looking for the potions that much.

15. Parapsycho

I know this topic is old, but Ive got a question, and a new finding. (Yeah, really!)

Question: Do poison potions stack? For example, if I threw 2 strangling potions at a monster, would it do 24-25 damage, or would it do 48-50? I need to do some testing with this, but if it stacks, it could be viable...

Finding:
    This finding is semi-significant. I was messing around in Lut Golein, seeing how much merchants would sell throwing potions for, if they sold them back. Well, I gave Lysander (of course! LOL) 12 strangling potions, and was about to buy them straight back when I noticed that he was selling me 25. :scratch:

You can get merchants to make potions for you! I tried this with every merchant, and every kind of potion. All you need is at least one of the potion. You give it to them, and they will sell you a full set. This is really useful, especailly for harder-to get potions. The big thing to remember though is that no matter how many you give them, they will sell you 25. So if you give them 24, it is a waste of money. You would pay the same as if you gave them 1.

Sorry if someone found this out already, I just thought it was really cool

Oh yeah, they can be pretty expensive, I think a pack of 25 choking potions was 2500 gold, so make sure you've got enough money...

16. EuroJamie

EuroJamie IncGamers Member

I got a build name for you anyway mate - The Alchemist :lol:

Good luck with it, it sounds like a heap of fun

17. Torsten_NL

Torsten_NL IncGamers Member

Maybe if the poison dagger works with it the dmg would be nice. use the synergies and it can get up to 4k dmg easilly.
    Plus using the trang-ouls gloves, this will give +25% to poison dmg. Not to mention a weapon with 6 poison facets and an armor with another 4 and helm with 3.
    Allmost impossible to get that much poison facets. But if its working, you can get allot of poison dmg in the end. +lowering resistance to enemies poison resist. And using lower resist would also be nice then.
    But on the other hand. When having 25 pots, you kill lets say 10 monsters and have to go back to town and again and again and again........hmmmmm

But keep this post warm, because it indeed sounds like a lot of fun. And not seen much before.

Maybe for a throw barb it's a funny bonus to have a good physical dmg throwing weapon in one hand and a throwing pot in the other hand for additional fire/poison dmg??
    The speed of this with double throw is not bad at all.

18. EuroJamie

EuroJamie IncGamers Member

Unfortunately the PDagger bug won't work, as you will need to equip the throwing skill, which means deselecting PDagger.

You could go Necro though and use 3-piece Trangs set. Gloves, Shield and one another item give you +25% poison damage, as well as -25% enemy poison resist. Some sort of Mojomancer would probably work quite nicely, using AI curses to keep monsters off your back until they die. Bone Wall/Prison could also be useful. I'd suggest getting some summons, but you'd probably find they end up doing your killing for you, which kinda defeats the purpose of the build. You'd just be a summancer with an added twist.

A shame that potions are so weak - they could be really fun to play. If there were unique potions, maybe with a stack replenishment mod, then there might be some more scope for this idea.

19. thunderjp

thunderjp IncGamers Member

Couldn't you put the throw skill on right click and poison dagger on left?

20. Killer_sss

Killer_sss IncGamers Member

hey guys would this work try max cconviction and use potion throw