Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Throwing Barb and stack size

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by churinga, Apr 29, 2008.

1. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

Throwing Barb and stack size

Hi guys, I'm making a Throwing Barb at the moment. He is great! He can throw at the cap 3.5 frames per attack, and it is cool indeed. One problem with him is that his high attack speed makes it very quick to use up his throwing weapon stacks. Although his weapons can replenish stack size over time, it just takes too long. I have to return to town to repair again and again for a single chaos run... Any suggestions on this? Thanks! :grin:

2. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

Re: Throwing Barb and stack size

nothing you can do here really but repair. I run into the same problem. I just started making sure my tp tome was full. I repair every time I come to town and then keep an extra throwing wep in my cube. Gimmers/warshikes only take up 2 slots. My barb is actually frenzy/throw (no bo) so worse case scenario if I run out of throwies and providing it's not around a IM area, I'll just wack em with the swords.

3. churinga

That's a good suggestion. But that means 6 less BO level, and more skill points to spend on other skills, like mastery and Frenzy, right?

4. Master Zap

My example as referenced is a bit different from most. I have 2pc and 2 battlechests, so I have already made the obligatory bo (wolf) barb and get my bo and shout from there if I need more then the 1 (+prebluff) point I placed in bo (For soloing). This means the frenzy/throw build is essentially the same as both a pure frenzy build and a pure thrower build in terms of damage and stats. Yes it's a hybrid, and most hybrids suffer in the damage and ar dept because they are tied to certain preq's if playing solo. Getting bo and shout elsewhere was key to pulling this off.

my build when completed will look like: ( I'm like level 87 on hcl)
    +1 in the passive barbs skills.
    20 throw mastery
    20 frenzy
    20 dbl swing
    20 sword mastery
    20 taunt

PVM double throw is merely added ar. My items are pretty good , so I didn't need to pump this to hit a adequate chance to hit. This stat for a thrower is a flavor to taste ( enough to get acceptable ar)

if your pvping , only then would I pump a bunch in this stat.

its IMO , better then both the pure frenzier or pure thrower . Frenzy really shines on the bosses where throwing is weaker, and throw is nice to have around im, breaks Pi's and with pierce provides a high damage AOE attack that handles packs a bit better.

make a obedience in something easy to equip. Since you most likely have 1 point in leap attack (has good ar and damage) go kill a couple easy monsters and get a free level 21 chant. It's beats paying for demonlimb charges :) and adds pretty darn good ar :)

It's a sight to be had throwing knives at crazy speeds with frenzy charge up !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. churinga

very nice explanations, thanks!! :D

Since my build is already different from yours.. (I'm at lvl 77 now, so still some room for adjustments), I'm thinking adding 10 to Frenzy. I already added 10 to Double Throw, since I want my AR to be greater than 6k. I don't need Frenzy to bump too much attack speed for me since I already reach the 3.5fpa cap without it, and I'm likely to lose the Fanat aura from my merc if I run too fast. So, I think Frenzy could be a backup skill for me. As for the switch weapon. I'm thinking another pair of throwing weapons, so that I can have double the time before repairing. Does that sound OK to do?

Since my throwing weapons are Axe and Knife, I do not have the luxury to add both masteries, so I may just add them 1pt each (better than none?) =p

The purpose of this build is for Chaos runs... so, I guess most of the time, I will be throwing... So, I have to repair a lot of times anyways... don't I?

6. Master Zap

How are you built and stated currently? That's really the only way to give proper feedback.

I would quickly tell you that being primarily throw, I'd make sure to max throw mastry and double swing to eek out the most damage you can as quickly as you can for your double throw attack.

Here's one of those against the grain opinions, skimp on bo or couple point it and then comeback to maxing this after damage and ar is in order. Here's why, it's prebluff-able. If you cant get by with a level 15-20 (easy prebluffed level) then your not going to get by that much better then if you had a 40+'r bo. Plus:

If your playing softcore mode and your generally playing in group, chances are you most likely will not be the only barb in the game. Unless your items are much better then avg, the other barb will probably have a better bo then you anyhow.

Having alot of life is handy, but I think pvm and exp sc mode people get carried away with ZOMG must have 100% max possible life. As a barb you will have better life then pretty anything else by default. If melee sorc's can get by with less then 1/2th the life the barb will have, then I think it's safe to say you'll manage too. This means you can put a couple extra in str and dex for flexibilty.

Barbs have Amazing crowd control via the warcries. To often these go neglected. Howl/taunt/warcry/grimward and leap knockback work on virtually all monsters in the game and provide control and time to handle anything.

For you ar issues, look at getting a chant item and start using Battlecry which reduces defenses. It's worth pointing out that the rogue merc casts inner sight which lowers defenses better then anything else (including conviction). It's unfortunate it's sporadic. Your 8K ar will go up to about 12-13K ar with demonlimb or obed. stick. Once you get a few levels higher your chance to hit compared to monsters level will also improve.

you get the throw damage mastry bonus to anything you throw, so you can mix up the throw weps as you like.

For Frenzy I would just put one point and not add more until dbl swing was maxed. (helps both anyhow). I'd then equip a fast wep with ITD on it and gobs of cb and use it only on bosses and to keep your barb in a constant state of Frenzy charge up for throwing and movement.

Anyhoot, this ended up not being quick... I can keep rambling but I'll spare you this time. :evil: :girly: :laughing:

7. churinga

Thanks! :D This has been very helpful!

8. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

not to hijack your thread but Im making a thrower too - currently 72 and here's what Im doing ..

Maxx - Throw Mastery
    Maxx - Double Throw
    Maxx - Double Swing
    Maxx - Bo
    1 point wonders - Frenzy , Leap Attack , Nat Resists

Using Gimmershred and Lacerator as my main weapons .. The Amp damage on Lacerator makes it a very nice Frenzy weapon . When axes run out and I dont wanna go to town I just Frenzy . Seems to be working pretty good so far and I just stepped into act 4 Hell tonight ...

:thumbsup:

ps- thanks for trading me the Non Eth Lacerator Master Zap !!

9. Morbid

Morbid IncGamers Member

That's actually what I plan to do, I'm testing to see if Wraith Flight are decent as well for PvM, I think Frenzy and throwing those sloooooow spears might actually work out for me, who knows?

WF's are 78, I'm gonna put on 2 Lacerators at 68 and switch to Lac/Glimmer at 70. Level 47 now, leveling actually really sucks :weep:

10. churinga

My situation is different, since I was planning to use this thrower in Chaos Sanctuary. So, I dare not to use Frenzy there...