Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Throw barb, stats and skills?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by SnowDrake, Mar 23, 2004.

1. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

Throw barb, stats and skills?

How should I distribute my points for a basic throw barb? I don't have very good equipment....

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

basic template:
    150-200 str (depends on armor)
    200 dex
    150+ vit (rest goes here)
    base nrg

20 double swing
    1-20 double throw (you'll have a ton left over)
    20 throw mastery
    20 bo
    that's it. everything else is up to you.

ps. take a high level char and go shopping at anya and charsi. buy up good throwing spears/harpoons/winged harpoons.
    "good" means:
    throwing spears with 80-100+ phys damage, under lvl 24 req.
    harpoons with 100-150+ phys damage, under level 64 req.
    wh's with 200+ phys, min level req 65.

I bought 6 "playing sets" of weps, with switch set. i then kept 2 sets of elemental damage harpoons in the stash, buzzing and smoking, for phys immunes.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

My thrower:

str indeed depends on armor. Luckily, there is one armor which cheap, easilly the best affordable armor for a thrower and also can have low requirements. Hel Lum Fal runeword.
    Make it in a diskshroud or so, and you have the perfect low weight armor.

100 str should be more than enough, and i really mean MORE than enough. The highest other item you want to wear is probably Tgods vigor, and since the armor als gives you str, that wont be a problem.

vitality, at first i wanted to limmit myself to 100 base vitality, since i play HCL though and my damage proved to look godly enough without more dex, i dedided to go for 150. You should not need more than that, certainly if you dont play hardcore. With Bo and some items and charms (dont need to be godly charms) you can reach 2k or so. That should do.

everything else goes to dex.

For low level, i did not yet use the throw ability. I used double swing instead. with death's set including 2 of those weapons, you will be very efficient in normal. Now i use 2 gimmershreds. All thrower weapons are easy to come by. If you find anyone who trades them, they will be cheap. I for examply recently sold 2 rare throw axes that were almost as good as gimmers for very few pgems each. If you are lucky you will get some for free.

equip advise:
    Hel lum fal armor (coh would be better, but that aint affordable)
    WT (for damage bonus)
    IK gloves
    Arreats helm
    highlords amu
    dwarfstar, ravenforst, Tgods vigor (3x absorb)

some might be a bit expensive for the poor player, but not all is needed. Just go for the hel lum fal first and fore all. the 3x absorb is something i will always use in HC. Tgods is pretty damn important too. Not only is it a godly belt for the thrower with its stats, it also is actually an obligatory item for any character that does not want to die in the later hell acts (unless you have a whisp projector instead).
    People who tell you to use other belts like razor tail, either dont play hardcore or havent been in the later hell acts yet.

skills:
    20 throw mastery
    20 double swing
    20 BO
    1-4 nat resist.
    1+ inc speed
    5+ howl
    5+ grim ward
    then double throw.

You could go without howl and grim if you are not planning to solo and expect to have some people around to tank for you.

4. SnowDrake

Naw I'm not going to be going solo, this is a fun character and I always play pub games with fun chars.

I've noticed that yes throwing weapons are fairly cheap, and while I'm pretty poor, I'm not so poor that I can't pay a few pgems and some low-mid crafting runes.

Anyways, which would be better? Demon Arch or Gimmer?

5. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

My question on a throw barb is, if using glimmers would having 20 into throw combine with 20 into axe mastery? Would you gain from both masteries after all glimmers are axes?

6. Superhal

re: str: throwing adds .75% ed per str, .75% per dex, so it doesn't matter how much str you have, unless you need it for ar (and probably adding points to dt would be better.) you need at least 120 for winged harpoons.

2 dex = 2 str = 1 dex + 1 str.

re: throwing axes for melee: yes, throwing axes work with axe mastery, but only for melee. it does not add to the thrown damage.

re: unique throwers: i am not impressed with them at all. you can get cruel harpoons, level req 43, with 200+ thrown damage. someone here mentioned that one of them has amp damage for phys immunes, but from my necro experience, it didn't render them easy at all.

7. Cold493

Cold493 IncGamers Member

If you need a demon arch I have one that I was gonna toss its a little low on the ed side only 161 but hey its free.

8. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

dex before str simply because it gives AR and ED while str only gives ED.

I dont know the stack size of of those demon arches, but everyone uses gimmers cuz of the stack size. Warshrikes and lacerators are an option as well, but they are harder to find (not so cuz of their value, but their simply seem to be a lot more gimmers around)

That is for pvm of course.

9. SnowDrake

Hmmm cold if you're on ehcl I'd like to take you up on that :)

Even if you're not, thanks very much for the offer.

I kind of didn't like gimmershred because it doesn't have replenish quantity.... warshrike looked pretty good too... dunno....

Heh throwing barbs are fun so far though. Currently at 600 throw damage with shopped weapons lvl 35 :p

10. Superhal

another cool trick is to use the blood recipie on winged/flying axes (not really worth it on lower ones.) inherent 30% ed and LL, plus you can get additonal mods.

i had some nice flying axes in beta, like 3k throw damage total.

they should tide you over until you get some decent winged harpoons.