Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thousands said Goodbye in tears on a Saturday in November (the daily)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Llathias, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Thousands said Goodbye in tears on a Saturday in November (the daily)

Today was the funeral of former Turkish prime minister Bulent Ecevit, who'd died last Sunday night at 81, as I'd mentioned in the Mondaily. I'm pretty sad at the moment, so much that I watched the ceremonies and read news/articles all day, just like I've been doing since Sunday night, instead of reading the ~1000 (though I can get away with ~500) pages of notes for my exam on Monday... It wasn't the death of an honorable statesman, an honest politician, the hope of millions, a humanist philosopher, a romantic poet or the hero of a 60 year long love; but the closure of an era in which my youth lay that affected me so much, just like millions of others. I won't give you the details of the ceremony or write an obituary here, as you can find one in every major international media corporation, from the Guardian to the New York Times, from CNN to BBC to others; in case you're interested--which I highly doubt. However, I'd like to quote a few sentences from Guardian Unlimited, which might partly explain one of the many qualities that made him so different that, in addition to all the current and past politicians (including his fiercest rivals) and all the army officers present at the ceremonies, over 80.000 (yip, more than eighty thousand) people filled the streets saluting him for the last time and showering the hearse with carnations:

"In his early years, Ecevit seemed more likely to be remembered as a poet, and throughout his life he remained a man of letters. There can be few other prime ministers anywhere who, coming out of a press conference and noticing that a journalist was holding a new book on the 17th-century English poet John Donne, would have asked to borrow it."

In case it wasn't obvious, it's Bulent Ecevit in my current avatar. May he rest in peace...

2. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Sigh, we can never escape death... May he rest in peace...

3. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

His deeds of valor will be remembered.

Seeing as this is the daily,

RL: Not a whole lot really, although I built a really awesome Federation Battle Cruiser from EV:Nova, out of lego. Will post a pic when I can.

D2: Not a whole lot either, just levelling lower characters and such.

4. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Almost 2 PM Sunday here. I haven't slept all night except for 2 occasions of semi-unconsciousness lasting approximately 1 and 2 hours respectively. I admit that I didn't study non-stop, but I did spend quite an effort and a lot of time. Result? There's no way I can get a sufficient amount of reading, let alone completely studying in the next 18 hours. :undecided:

I really hate bacteria, by the way. I wouldn't mind being infected with them that much, but studying them is a nightmare! More than half of them causes meningitis, for example; will be fun to memorise them all. :rolleyes: Life would be much better for everyone if we could eradicate the little buggers...

My current favorite is the Shigella (a causative agent of dysentery), by the way. Despite the fact that it has a very potent toxin and only 200 cells are enough to cause an infection, it is such a pathetic loser, even among its own family (enterobacteriaceae): It is non-motile, doesn't have a capsule, can't fermentate lactose, can't produce hydrogen sulfide and is urease negative! LOL, what a n00b! :grin: It also sounds cool--doesn't it remind you of "shillelagh"?

am I talking like a nerd here?

D2: huh?

ps. Do people not like to post in dailies on weekends, or is it because of the thread title that doesn't strike instantly as a daily thread?

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Well, it's Sunday afternoon here. I'd post in that. :grin: