Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on Unannounced Project

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Mar 18, 2016.

?

Is another Diablo Title in the works

1. Yes, its an expansion

2. Yes, its Diablo 4

3. No, its just part of normal job rotations at blizzard

4. Maybe, I don't know

5. See my reply

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

It would appear things are moving along with whatever Diablo thing Blizzard are doing.

Of the 4 currently posted jobs on Diablo one stuck out the most to me. Softward Engineer, Graphics. At the very top of the requirements for this job sits 'Experience with shaders and GPU programming'. Then, at the top of the responsibilities they put 'Design and implementation of new graphics functionality', firstly I don't believe GPU programming was a capability of anyone at the time Diablo 3 was created thus likely eliminating the possibility that this job is for an expansion to D3. Then there's the Design and implementation of new graphics functionality. I couldn't imagine that responsibility being a part of a group working on the expansion.

Now the kicker, the 2nd requirement of the job. 'Knowledge of DirectX 10+ or OpenGL APIs'. There is no Direct X 10 or higher usage in D3 at all. Zero Direct X 10. So unless they are rebuilding the Diablo 3 graphics engine from scratch this job can not be D3 related. Finally, one of the pluses in the job application description is 'Console programming experience'. Stated as a plus, not a requirement.

My opinion, its a 'Next Gen Game'. It has to be, it just doesn't fit expansion and I can't see them aiming or even considering releasing another Diablo title for the current game consoles. They will release news next year that the next Diablo game is in the making and they will want to get us excited about that by providing us with some sexy visuals.

Lighting Artist - Unannounced Project Probably the most intesting component of this job description is the PBR (Physically Based Rendering), something I have no understanding of atm but going by some quick googling on the matter I have some quotes on PBR from a variety of sites:

Dace from Reddit stated "It's a way to make everything look more photorealistic/natural-looking by changing how light bounces off everything.".

Jeff Russell from Marmoset.co states "Physically-based rendering (PBR) is an exciting, if loosely defined, trend in real time rendering lately. The term is bandied about a lot, often generating confusion as to what exactly it means. The short answer is: “many things”, and “it depends”, which is rather unsatisfying, so I have taken it upon myself to try to explain at some length what PBR represents and how it differs from older rendering methods.".

Marmoset is definitely worth the read imo. Anyhow, pbr sounds newish so I thought it was worth the mention.

Senior Character Artist - Unannounced Project

More PBR more console.

Senior Concept Artist - Unannounced Project

More console and PC related.

Well thats about it. Maybe the only discrepency left is that the Software Engineer title does not include the words Unannounced Project.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Asteria and T2000 like this.
  2. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Good analysis you have here.
    Voted for D4, hoping for a Oblivion / Skyrim style open world game:)

MrRandyMarsh likes this.
  3. _TOP_Commander

_TOP_Commander IncGamers Member

Hey guys, my bet is on D4 (with all the evils released all over again). Maybe we get to visit all the places from D1 and D2 all over again (that would be wicked). But I really hope they will keep the Isometric view like all the Diablo games until now. (I really don't want a first or third person shooter style Diablo game lol)

Anyways, the reason why I post here is because something has come to my attention in regards to the Diablo franchise.

There was a rumor right after Blizzcon 2015, where a Diablo III CM apparently stated to a reporter:

"At next years Blizzcon, Diablo-Fans are gona lose their shit"

One of the video references (move to 4:30):

Right after that Blizzcon weekend "Grimiku" was "let go" right after Blizzcon. (after a "performance review")

Looks to me like Grimiku was the one that leaked this, where Blizzard didnt want anyone to know about it just yet.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Also, the second expansion that was planned and was being worked on, was unofficially "Canceled" and the partial content was released in patch 2.3 and 2.4 instead. The Blizzard CEO has stated that after the displease of the core Diablo fans, they should release the second expansion content for free to "win back the fans". I don't have the reference to this interview, but I for sure remember hearing this coming from the CEO (Michael Morhaime).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. mrpinsky

mrpinsky IncGamers Site Pal

In my dreams it is Diablo 4 "back to the roots", bringing back all the stuff we loved in D2. But I don't expect that will actually happen. Blizzard has moved too far in the direction of politically correct, casual-friendly, cartoon-graphics, cliche-story games to bring out something that would please old school D2 fans like me. The hope dies last, though...

Someone mentioned in another thread that it might be a D2 HD remake. Which I think would be a fairly bad idea. HD remakes are usually just a fan-service with unnecessary gimmicks and no additional substance (see the Star Wars Special Editions for a perfect example of this). But if they are looking for staff for 3D graphics, then that doesn't seem likely anyway.

Edit: Here is my wishlist for D4:
    - realistic, historical (medieval) look of characters, gear and environment
    - grim and sinister atmosphere (it's supposed to feel scary)
    - less colors/effects on screen so you can actually see what's going on
    - bring back RPG elements (stat points, skill trees (possibly simplified), potions)
    - randomly generated levels
    - no auction house (obviously!!)
    - P2P trading (trading window)
    - PvP combat (consensual duelling)
    - clvl 1-99
    - offline play, LAN play
    - limited crafting, good items should mainly be found in the wild
    - no hand-holding on missions, let the player discover things
    - Linux support

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. mrpinsky

Any speculations on who the game director might be for this unannounced title?

6. _TOP_Commander

_TOP_Commander IncGamers Member

I know David Brevik has left gazillion about a month ago. I also know that David Brevik has presented on a Diablo 1 development retrospective at GDC 2016 (March 14-18)

Further David was offered many roles in the past where Blizzard showed interest in hiring him back for various projects, which he all declined for various reasons (one being he doesn't want to move from where he lives with his wife and children, and there is no Blizzard development studio where he lives). However, he has stated that as in D1 and D2, he has worked remotely from his state, while working with Blizzard in the past. However, Blizzard generally prefers to have high-level team members to be close or right at Irvine.

I think it kind of intriguing that Blizzard has searched for high-level Personnel such as an Art Director for D3, and David Brevik leaving Gazillion more or less at the same time (which means he is free). In any case, if Brevik would be in charge of D4, I am confident that it would benefit the game overall, and maybe even make it another genre defining hit-game for the next decade. Minds like David, are capable to dish out very solid games, if they have the tools and resources that shops like Blizzard can offer.

The cool think about huge developer behemoths like Blizzard is that they have vast resources, expertise, and know-how, and they only need the right mindsets in charge that can drive a solid vision which is then materialized by the many visual artists and developers. The downside is, that when you grow so big you start to have a "visual style" causing all games to melt together, this has benefits in the sense that people instantly feel they are playing a Blizzard game, but it also means that neither game can truly be distinct and "different". Also bureaucracy, internal politics, and Investor influence all harm the development of truly unique games.

@ mrpinsky

I like your whole list, that would be great.

As for the trading, I think an AH would be ok, as long as there is no Real-Money AH, and also as long as certain rules are met. I think it would be cool if there would be an AH, where you can only trade Items for Items. Further, all items should have a drop-rarity, and only items of the same rarity can be traded for other items with that same rarity.

So if a Shako has a very low drop chance, then you could trade that Shako for an Arachnid Mesh, or Ber rune, if those items all share the same drop rarity level.

Alternatively, players could offer a bunch of lower level items or items with high drop rate, for an item with lower drop rate. Obviously both parties would have to accept the trade.

That way you can either farm normally for gear, or you can farm certain areas for items that allow you to offer a bunch of item for an item of low drop-chance, simply because maybe you weren't lucky enough to find it yourself just yet. Think of it like 3 IST runes for a shako etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  7. mrpinsky

Top Commander: intriguing what you write about David Brevik. According to his LinkedIn, Brevik works for "Graybeard Games" since January 2016 [1]. Graybeard games is described as "David Brevik's Independent Game Company" on its website [2] (the man has a gray beard, hence the name). Could that be a camouflage?

Brevik coming back would be great news, indeed. How about the Schaefer brothers, though? As far as I know they have been quite influential in the series.

Interesting tidbit: Erich Schaefer recently twittered a picture of the Diablo 1.0 Gold Master disc [3]. On that occasion, he was apparently hanging out with his brother Max and David Brevik.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-brevik-4707933
    [2] http://www.graybeardgames.com/
    [3] https://twitter.com/davidbrevik/status/696492376777359361

8. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

I search extensively, but couldn't find this deleted tweets. Nothing like "This Tweet is unavailable." So i wouldn't rely on that.

Why content for patches 2.3 and 2.4 must be straight from expansion? This game features and especially new locations kinda isolated from each other. Kanai's Kube is expansion-caliber feature, but it doesn't mean it from "cancelled expansion". Why it couldn't be developed specially for patch.

Source about "winning back the hearts and minds of people"
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-iii/...-morhaime-dev-team-wants-nemesis-system-on-pc

9. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

He left Gazillion at the end of 2015, 4 months ago.

Brevik not remotely close for art director position.

"Never say never", as David Brevik himself speaks exactly about Diablo 4 (45min 21s):

But i don't think that 30-hour programming marathon could be a camouflage:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQbO-bzrXyJezP2jVs-lsSg/videos

And now Blizzard have team, who shipped Diablo 3, Reaper of Souls, and ROS Ultimate Evil Edition for consoles. Why they need David Brevik anyway? Just for the name? I admire and respect David, and his lead of Diablo 4 would be dream come true, but Blizzard already have passionate and talented people, who work together at least 5 years. Just look at Josh Mosqueira:

http://gdcvault.com/play/1021776/Against-the-Burning-Hells-Diablo

How about NO.
    Just read about Erich Schaefer http://episodiccontentmag.com/stories/and-then-there-were-two-the-making-of-rebel-galaxy/
    And Max finally make non-ARPG-game, "Hob":
    http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/no-torchlight-3-heres-hob
    Frankly, you must read this first: http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/17/9153363/runic-games-hob

They close friends, you know, and meet regulary.

10. mrpinsky

Erich made Rebel Galaxy together with Travis Baldree, but the game is done and shipped. Max is still the CEO of Runic Games (last I heard), but my impression is that he has more of a backseat/manager job there, and is not actively developing Hob.

11. mrpinsky

nvm

12. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Good for remake, but recipe of disaster for new game. Things must evolve. You can grow and cherish nostalgia, but world around doesn't have to do it with you.

13. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

Whilst I'm not convinced of the Dave Brevik back to Blizzard story at all, I'll fuel the fire a bit more anyway.

Apparently he was wearing a Blizzard t-shirt when giving his GDC talk.

Source: https://twitter.com/superdupergc/status/710947052545449984

All that apart, could those job vacancies apply to a potential D2 HD remaster rather than D4?

14. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

It was old Blizzard North t-shirt. https://twitter.com/elektrotal/status/710971582642950145

For D2 HD remaster you have another jobs. This particular position originally sees the light of day at the end of march 2015, then was reworded for more inspiring description, and posted at the end of september 2015:

Senior Software Engineer, Classic Games
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=1600060
    Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

Responsibilities
    • Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
    • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
    • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
    • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
    • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
    Requirements
    • Expert knowledge of C / C++
    • A minimum of 5 years’ experience in development
    • A minimum of 3 years' experience in a video game industry
    • Experience debugging unfamiliar code
    • Passion for games
    • Excite us
    Pluses
    • Experience debugging Win32 or OS X game software
    • Experience using Visual Studio or Xcode
    • Experience with x86 assembly

Most interesting (posted back in november 2015):

Art Outsource Supervisor, Classic Games
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=150010X
    Classic games is seeking a skilled artist to help revitalize StarCraft, Warcraft III, Diablo II, and our catalogue of other classics.

This is an art generalist position requiring hands on direction, management, and engine integration of a wide range of assets including characters, weapons, and environment props.

If your art background and leadership skills allow you to direct and collaborate with external art vendors, while coordinating with team leads to track assets and identify art needs: we’d love to hear from you.

Responsibilities
    • Manage communications and provide feedback to artists, and help maintain a strong creative relationship between external and internal art teams.
    • Generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
    • Own the quality control over all incoming art assets, providing detailed feedback and approvals to the vendor in order to deliver quality assets to the development team.
    • Implement approved assets into the game engine, along with making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and game ready.
    • Personally create high quality character models, weapons, and environment assets for a variety of different projects and art styles.
    • Work closely with the art director, art leads, production team, and outsource manager to determine outsourcing needs, pipelines, budgets, and costs for art assets.
    • Coordinate with the outsource manager to schedule and track incoming assets.
    • Identify and research possible vendors.
    • Travel may be necessary to help train and coach approved vendors.
    Requirements
    • Experience in game art asset creation in a variety of software packages including Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop
    • Strong character, weapon, and environment modeling experience and skills a must
    • Clear and concise communications, leadership, and people skills
    • Must be highly organized, self-driven, customer focused, and a great team player
    • Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
    • Have shipped AAA PC or console title as an environment, character, or technical artist
    Pluses
    • Experience working with outsourcing teams
    • Experience in an art director or lead artist role
    • Fluency in a language other than English, including Chinese, German, Spanish, Italian, or Russian

Two more vacancies added in march 2016:

Senior Software Engineer, Server, Classic Games
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=160006Z
    Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

Responsibilities
    • Implement server infrastructure changes to support new gameplay features.
    • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
    • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
    • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
    • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
    Requirements
    • Strong knowledge of C / C++
    • A minimum of 5 years’ experience in development
    • A minimum of 2 years' experience in a video game industry
    • Familiar with implementing client / server architecture
    • A mind towards scalability and performance
    • Experience debugging unfamiliar code
    • Passion for video games
    • Excite us
    Pluses
    • Previous experience shipping video game titles or other software
    • Networking experience in TCP / IP and UDP protocols
    • Linux development experience
    • Database development experience (e.g., MySQL, Oracle)
    • Scripting language experience (e.g., Python)
    • Distributed systems experience
    • Low level network knowledge and diagnosis including packet capture (e.g., tcpdump, wireshark), routing, firewalls, DHCP, DNS, and NAT busting

Classic Games Test Lead, Quality Assurance
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=160006M

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled test lead for the classic games test group. This tenured leadership position will drive a product test approach primarily through dynamic analysis techniques and is responsible for planning and coordinating the overall test coverage. The ideal candidate is a positive leader who is able to maximize value in testing and communicate messages about a product readiness in a professional manner.

Responsibilities
    • Be an expert in dynamic analysis techniques for verification and validation of a product.
    • Lead all test planning, execution, control, and closure phases for the scope of work for the test team.
    • Create the test plan and maintain it through all test phases.
    • Justify key resource allocation including test capability and environments.
    • Prioritize and schedule test efforts with stakeholder buy-in against competing initiatives.
    • Oversee bug maintenance, triage, and standards.
    • Establish, communicate, enforce clear entry, and exit criteria.
    • Develop and maintain positive business relationships with all test stakeholders.
    • Ensure test maturity develops by implementing lessons learned iteratively per test cycle.
    • Contribute towards the final risk assessment for the product.
    Requirements
    • A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a leadership role for software testing
    • A minimum of 2 years’ experience with staff management
    • Experience testing in Agile, Scrum, and Waterfall SDLCs
    • Understanding of bug management systems and maintenance thereof
    • Professional written and oral communications skills
    • A proven ability to identify impediments and realistic solutions
    • Passionate about both testing and games
    Pluses
    • Bachelor degree in a related field
    • ISTQB advanced test manager certification
    • Scrum Master certification
    • Experience driving risk-based testing
    • Expertise with Jira
    • Familiar with Test Automation best practices
    • Experience with console: test, compliance, and submissions
    • Passion for Blizzard’s Classic Games

15. mrpinsky

T2000 likes this.
  16. Mackan

Mackan IncGamers Member

In one of the infinite universes, it is happening. Brevik, Schaefers, Roper, Uelmen and more of the original Blizzard North team are reassembled to make Diablo 4, after Mike Morhaime got a revelation... and decides "one last time!".

Now, the question is... is it this universe?

mrpinsky and Asteria like this.
  17. Asteria

Asteria IncGamers Site Pal

Expansion. Announcing at Blizzcon in November.

18. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

Voted for D4. Am actually hoping for a Diablo-VR, though.

On my wishes for the game [tl/dr: More complex and deeper RPG; player driven character development] :

D3 shows that Blizz got the primary gameplay down, as well as atmosphere and polishing. The damage formula is too simplistic, though, which reflects negatively on itemization and skillsystem/character development: Where it forces items, apart from their legendary affix, to be too generic, neither affixes nor skills have the room left to convey a sense of the physical and mystical laws of Sanctuario. Player driven character development is practically missing skillsystemwise and is only added kinda as an afterthought via the Paragon system, to counteract the overweight of RNG in itemization. And though the skills were creative and interesting to play with and were 'modable' via runechoices and legendary affixes, the practically same streamlined process behind it all made the changes feel too radical and arbitrary, though, while management of ressources, cooldown, etc., and practically most affix allocations (, besides perhaps +attack speed, which feels more grounded by its reflection through reduced animation time,) felt too forced and static, to stay interesting in the long run. D4s formula simply needs to be much more complex, than one basedamage provider, a few fixed basesettings and a lot of open multiplicators all around, to allow for the meaningful(!) differentiations necessary to bring the secondary gamesystems up to the same level as primary gameplay, atmosphere and polishing.

I'd say, the formula for D4 should include two [to three] sources of basedamage [: Provided via Weapon/Offhand and skills, for example ...] and be bound to a more solid core by at least one system using 'closed multiplicators' (-> Meaning based on multiplicators between 0 and 1), before breaking up the binding again or enforcing it as needed by secondary systems based on open multiplicators. [ Imho, three different basedamage sources with two binding 'closed multiplicator'-elements could support up to seven distinct ways using open multiplicators, without extrapolation becoming much of a balancing issue in the process. Two bdam-systems, one 'cm'-element and up to three om-systems could perhaps work, too, but might still be too simple to provide enough room for meaningful differentiations, where interesting secondary gamesystems can be developed upon that can by tied into a coherent, grounded whole truly bringing the world of Sanktuario to life for us players. ]

On the skillsystem itself: Additionally to cooldowns, I'd like to see skillswitching via hotkey [F1-4?] back, with a lot of skills needing an activation time after being switched in, before becoming able to be used or being switched out again. Also I'd like part of the skillsystem to address the moment of transitioning between skills. [ Example: If you had skills a, b, c and crowdcontrol d, your unskilled character would have to reposition/refokus/switch though processes between each change of skills. More skilled later on, the characer may have balanced to an ideal of two repetitions of skill a, one repetition of b, followed by c, providing a streamable pattern with the least amount transition in between, though the transition time to the cc-skill d might be longer from skills a and (particularly) c; and though a,a,b,a,a,b may be a viable pattern on its own, switching from c to b or from a to c would take much longer, than it was in the characters unskilled times. ] I'd also like the skillsystem starting off easy and accessible, while getting more and more complex to the end [-> Starting of with simple investments, like in D2, branching (gradually) into distinct (, though perhaps combinable) specializations from there, similar to the original skillrune-pitch, finetuning the skill via the underlying physical/mystical principles, the skills workings are grounded in, and perhaps even a layer concentrating on pattern manipulation on top of it ... ] and always offering ties back into other gamesystems, for example changing the characters faster run base value, manipulating affix progression curves and/or rearranging affix caps. This would require a more reliable sense of permanence in skillinvestments, though ... [-> The more complex skillchoices could, for example, be seperated from one another by multiple layers of permancy: Beginning with free respecs, having to pay for respecs in the second stage, eventually turning into heavily ressource expensive respeccing in the third stage and, finally, true permanent decisions being necessary in the last stage of defining and finetuning ones character. ]

One last wish regarding Itemization in D4 , before closing the textwall for now... - With the concept of Legendary Items, two things come to my mind :

1. Items becoming stronger/changing through the deeds described in legends. But there are always spins on the Legends, depending on the party, who'd spun them. Sometimes so many, that the one or other essential experience shaping the Legendary Item might be drowned out, with the full potential of the item never to be drawn out again. Different Heroes may also have pulled out different applications with the item, perhaps even only in conjunction with a certain skills or skillcombos that weren't even thought about by the previous users. ... I'd surely like a system, building up on that, allowing the players to mature their already found items by learning more and more tidbits of their history, reknown owners and the natures of their respective deeds, turning them Legendary to begin with. In turn the player would be able to use the knowledge to pull out more of the respective Legendaries power, perhaps even changing/improving its Legendary Affix, though only when used in conjunction with this certain few skills, ... similar to how the Hero has been described using this particular item, at least according to this old Lacuni-scroll here ... :) And, perhaps, with a certain tidbit still missing, needed to actually make some use out of the available information ...)

2. Apart from these Item tidbits, there should be far more storyfragments dropping to shed light on the different cultures of Sanctuario. How many different Goatmen-tribes are there, for example? What do these tribes think about one another? Or about the humans/nephalim of Westmarch? Or their favorite beverages? Or ...? And what impact was it, that shaped this one tribes perception and culture so differently to the others? Do the non-Nephalim cultures in Sanctuario have their own, unique belief system and how big is its impact on the respective cultures everyday life? How are their parental duties organized? Why do the Legends around event XYZ, as they were told by this one Goatmen tribe, sound so negative compared to the Legends told by the neighboring Fallen-tribe? ... .. I'd like my characters to find out much, much more about the world they live in during gameplay. And yes, with every character collecting his own individual base of information on Sanktuario, its deniziens and Legendary gear, differentiating characters not only by skill- and gearchoices, but also by their knowledge in both quantity and depths. (And thus, in regards to 1., always having differing options available, to grow above yesterdays limits in proper usage of one his Legendaries. Even if it'll just be a 1:1 remake of an old character and he'd even get his "Storymemory" filled up with all the same tidbits on the respective items, any variance in background on the respective ingame culture and a deviating order of finding all the tidbits, should have impact on the actual 'gear growing'-options available ...

So, ... that's it for now. 'til then then...

Silverfang

19. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

I'm really hoping for an expansion, personally. D3 has a lot of life left, and an expansion could really bring it out.

T2000 likes this.
  20. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

@StrikexForce : I'd have nothing against another expansion, if it, for once, would adress core issues of the game. (Mainly lacking in logically accessible consistency and fokus on secondary gameplay elements.) Not, though, if it would just add another flavor of all the same type of candy. That ship's sailed for me ...

That wasn't, what I actually wanted to add to the thread, though ... :

One thing I've asked myself about D3 is, why hasn't the dev-team banked on the differentiation between friendly-fire and controlled skills, when designing the skillsystem. With the elemental differentiations made going from D2 to D3, this would just have made sense: The physical on the one hand, the arcane on the other, the elements in between and the holy as an intermediate step back to the arcane, reflecting the the mystical being explored from the societary perspective, based on Idols, Traditions or simply strong beliefs commonly shared. This differentiation would have fit a Diablo-game just perfectly and would have enticed more cooperation in group play on the side, if done well.

Just as an example of a physical spell with a high degree of friendly fire risk, take a look at Fireball: The fire effect is released at the point of the caster when cast. To controll it being held into a ball until being released in an explosion, is the only arcane element left. And that control goes poof above midrange. But with such a strong physical component, it would do harm to other players and even the caster himself, turning it into a double edged sword, whose efficiency is limited to controlled midrange (and outer shortrange, but still far from melee) situations.

edit: And yeah ... I think of the social as a third core aspect of the D3, besides the physical and the arcane . That perception is not only based in my rpg interests, but also derived from ingame differentiations, like the one of hatred vs. discipline on the demon hunter. (Plainly spoken, a social aspect in its purest form, would be an outburst of emotion. Simply a fit, leading to nothing ...)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016