Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on kill streaking

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Sep 19, 2010.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Thoughts on kill streaking

Some questions that have come to mind, maybe you've got better but here goes:
    1. Doesn't it play to the idea of doing XP runs? We will just look for the place where there are lots of monsters that go down fast and pull out our harvesters of slaughter.
    2. Last hit counts, so spreading out damage so as to increase your chances of killing with the last little bit of damage will see certain characters leap ahead in XP?
    3. Slow big hits are out?
    4. Slower running characters will forever be relegated to the role of XP freeloading nubs. What I mean is the person whom starts killing stuff FASTER at the beginning of the game will hold the levelling up advantage for the rest of the game just like D2.
    5. Will mercs get in the way because of this (stealing your or my kills) effectively getting in the way of people getting their kill streaks.
    6. It will encourage single play.

edit: on that last point, I am presuming that kill streaks must be accomplished by individuals. There won't be party based kill streaks as that would just be too easy. Very presumptuous I know.

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Thoughts on kill streaking

1) In the end of every XP-based game, people will find out that one area farms better than the other. So of course there'll be XP-runs.
    2) There is no last hit counts system me thinks.
    3) I think there'll be weapon attack speed differences, but we also will have IAS ;)
    4) I think every class will have ways to kill fast, it'll be balanced.
    5) If there are mercs and they kill a bugger, the XP will be for the merc-owner most likely.
    6) No it won't, this game will be all about the MP!

3. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

If the kill streak bonus feature is in, I imagine it will be party wide. Remember, though, that monsters are going to be scaling much more brutally than in D2. So single player enemies that your barb could bring down in 1 hit may well now require a few hits in a group of 4. So it encourages people to work together to bring down those monsters quickly.

Also, maybe it won't be raw kill count, but rather based on relative experience value somehow. So a Fallen would not be worth as much towards your combo compared to a larger, tougher demon.

4. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed.

The alternative is farming low monsters, then MFing on the high level ones. It's just a tedious way of keeping MF active rather than reward for killing high levels.

Depending on how monster levels and XP is in comparison with D2's system, we could have a cut off where anything less than 20-25 (or any flexible amount)% its original XP wouldn't count toward the bonus.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i hate the entire idea of kill streaks, always have always will. it changes how i play games for the worse. i remember playing fable which gave bonus xp and it just sucked imo. much rather just get x amount of xp for killing y creature and thats that

6. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

I think it's an awesome idea. I always loved rounding up an army of monsters and wiping them out in a single majestic action. It creates an excellent incentive to take great risks for greater reward, effectively allowing players to express their skill for intelligently combining kill streaks. (well that one obviously depends on the implementation and timers of how long streaks last)

1) It plays to the variety of XP runs. The very concept of XP runs is impossible to eradicate in this kind of game.

2) They will either implement it as a party system (meh, bleh, do not want) or as an individual player only system (good, helps to even the disparity between party play gains and individual play gains).

3) This game is a lot more AoE centric now. Slow, big single target hitters are the minority of skills now. The Barbarian with a huge arse axe will obviously lose a lot on overkill, but his Shockwave or Whirlwind is likely to wipe out more enemies in 1 go. That sort of thing.

4) Not necessarily. A slower character might presumably have bonuses oriented towards more raw power, so they can safely round up more monster groups.

5) I am almost 150% certain Mercs will be integrated into the streak system and every other system possible. I don't think Blizzard wants to punish people for using Mercs in any way, rather it be another customization option.

6) It needs some. Party play will always be more efficient unless they really jack the difficulty up this time around for multiple players.

7. Apocalypse

i think it will cause problems with co-op if it is not party based. i also dont see the point of it in this game. i can already see 4 player games where everyone is in their own act just so they can rack up bonus xp doing all the killing with the harder mobs

8. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe this time it'll work. ^^;;

9. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

much better and the way they are shown in that ss it looks like they wont be in the way when you play

10. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting, I wonder if it will result in new farming methods, as I guess they hope (making killing loads of lesser mobs more on a par with boss running in terms of XP and items) instead of rush to boss kill boss save and exit repeat till fed up.

11. TheMythe

This is a good DarwinAward contest.
    Everyone will go for a kill streak but only those that are actually PRO enough will remain alive.
    The XP-bonus is a tiny tiny thing so oftenly those that are wise don't go running around like an Uruk-hai but go strategicly through the game.

Obtaining a kill streak will be a good laugh in HC :)

Next to that, as said above, it is indeed a good diversion from bossruns. I feel sorry for any Fallen out there though...

12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

I will have to read up on this. I sometimes ask myself "is this really blizzard making this game?"

13. TheMythe

It is, but a totally new team me thinks.

New team, new rules, new game!

14. Apocalypse

this may not be a good thing

15. TheMythe

That's open for debate 'till after the release + patches + expansions... ;)

16. Apocalypse

i gotta disagree with that mentality, i want the game to be good from day one. if you just said "That's open for debate 'till after the release " i would agree but that + patches + expansions would be unacceptable to me.

anyway it is looking pretty good so far, really this years blizzcon will be the big hit or miss i think with most of the "hardcore" fans. they have some things i really like in this game and some things i just down right hate

17. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

I agree that the kill streak thing is questionable. If they have it, they're likely just experimenting with it. If it turns out to be really fun, I guess it's in. If not, it probably won't.

Overall, I trust Blizzard's iterative design process to come up with a good game more than a static design with hard release dates, as many games end up being developed with. They might be experimenting with this stuff, but they can put it in or take it out, because they don't get super-attached to it. We know about a number of features that went in but now are gone. There's probably dozens more that have done the same thing, that we don't know about because Blizzard hasn't told us.

18. Apocalypse

probably the main reason they try not to tell us things unless they really like them. if they announce now that kill streaks are gone you will have alot of people mad about it while i try my best to yell louder than them saying how happy i am lol

19. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

That's almost 100% certainly true. Remember Flux's meltdown in the Wizard forum? :(

20. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Someone link me to flux melting down!