Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on +coldskill dmgs

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by halohalo, Jan 31, 2004.

1. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Thoughts on +coldskill dmgs

I've never tried any of the following myself, so plz correct me if I'm wrong.

I've noticed, in 1.10, there are new items with +fire/lignt/cold skills, i.e. eschuta's or death's fathom. They somewhat give equal bonus to certain elemental skills, or so I thought.

But isn't +cold dmg the best effective?

My thoughts go like this :
    for example, if you have 100 dmg fireball and some firemastery to do +100% fire dmg, and +30% to fireskill dmgs from items.
    That will yield : 100 + 100 * (1 + 0.3) = 230 dmg fireball.

and for example, if you had 100 dmg icebolt and some coldmastery to do -100% enemy resist(and enemy's cold resistance of zero), and +30% to cold skill dmgs from items.
    That will yield : (100 + 100 * 0.3) * 2 = 260 dmg icebolt.

so, + to cold skill dmg is more effective than +fire, and also +light(light mastery work the same as fire mastery)

and if the enemy had 50% fire resist and 50% cold resist, the fire dmg goes down to 115(which is half), but the cold dmg goes down to 195(3/4 of the original), so even more effective in NM/hell.

+30% to fire/light dmg will only add a little to your dmg, but +30% to cold will give literally 30% more dmg to your original listed dmg.

Is this not true?

*ps. does cold matery cut through cold immunity if invested heavily?

2. Ruvanal

Ruvanal IncGamers Member

yes.

Cold Mastery does not work at all if the target is immune. But if you can break the immunity through some other means (Conviction, Lower Resist) then it will have full effect.

3. Celandro

Celandro IncGamers Member

Yes

The same arguement is why items that lower resists help lightning and fire but not cold.

4. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

I don't understand. My necro does about -50% lower resist and it does not take the elemental immunities off, even when the monster data says it's cold resist is 115.

I was keeping a lower resist charged wand for my sorc. will it work?

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The effectiveness of LR and Conviction is 1/5th against Immunities. So you actually took the monster down to 105% Resist - still immune.

LR will work but only on monsters that are 'just' immune (low 100s), since the maximum level of charges is level 3.