Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on Bliz VS Orb cold sorc

Discussion in 'PvP' started by parkerbsb, Mar 18, 2005.

1. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

Thoughts on Bliz VS Orb cold sorc

I've heard that Bliz is better for non-teleporting (ie mainly melee) duels and Orb is better for teleporting (mainly caster) duels. Has anyone ever tried a orb/Bliz sorc to be more versatile?

Max CM
    Max Bliz
    Max Orb
    Max Icebolt (synergies to both)
    You'd have enough left to max tk and have a few in esheild/prereqs.

It sounds really nice, but I figured I'd get the advice from the pro's before I start trading for Death's fathom/nightwings etc...

2. txmielnik

txmielnik IncGamers Member

The problem with a Blizz/Orb sorc is that you trying to get the best of both world's good dmg from blizz and a ranged attack from orb. But if you put skill points into orb your blizzard loses it's bite. Therefore, your orb will be as good as a pure orber sorc's but you lose out on ES option. And your blizzard loses alot of pop so you don't kill as fast. In my option it's not worth making a duel ice sorc.

3. semisonic9

semisonic9 IncGamers Member

Blizz better, but neither very good against skilled players (unless u AA Blizz). I've seen godley geared Orb sorcs, (1400 a shard, pefect stats on nearly everything he had, my friend Zach) die often to other chars. I will say, an Orbs hit and run tactics do tend to own my poisonmancer in duels though. Versus trapper, Bow Azon, Bonenecro, FB sorc, BvC barb, etc...bad news...

4. parkerbsb

Yeah I heard zach was pretty uber... so I guess that'll throw that out the window then, I was hoping for 2 skills that would kill to throw people off :(

5. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

es orbers can take bonemancers fairly easily.
    bowzons are a joke

trappers and fireball and lightning sorcs will tear though es quickly.

6. AndyChrono

AndyChrono IncGamers Member

Barring lag or something unforseen, Orb/ES will dominate bone necs with little effort. The only bowazons that even pose a slight problem would be 7-frame faith zons /w knockback and crazy charms. Of course ladder zons don't have crazy charms and non-ladder zons don't have faith bows...yet. =D

7. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

even with the godliest gear. 4k mana with shards always flying around.. not to mention 50% dr and 75% block will make a zons life hell.

8. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

only reason i dont make a orb/es sorc is because it is far to easy to absorb.

9. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

dont forget the massive prebuff ><

10. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Even my 1 hard point in orb (for rushing in normal :p) can easily defeat decked out bowzons. Once you can aim one good orb at them they usually get caught in dodge animation till you orb them to death ^^

HoD

11. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

Orb>bliz all around for the simple fact that orbers generally have strong ES+high mana while bliz sorcs cannot due to the necessity of maxing syngeries.

bliz is almost never negated due to high dmg + mastery

orb is also not negated often, but its nerfed alot because alot of people will use ravens.

ES is the main difference; bliz sorcs are glass cannons, especially compared to their orb counterpart.

12. sheepe2004

sheepe2004 IncGamers Member

I wouldnt call my blizz/orb sorc a glass cannon and she has no es. With max block, 45% dr and over 2k life its possible to tank almost any blockable character. Casters are harder but if i can swap to spirit its possible to out tele almost all of them so i do pretty well.

Decent windys and high % es sorcs are hard to beat but i'm guessing theyre still easier than they would be for a pure orb sorc.

If you do decide to use this build make use of ice blast as well as blizz, it does almost as much damage and you can spam it.

good luck ;)

13. Darknicrofia

Darknicrofia IncGamers Member

1400 orb thats it? Ive made one whose orb dmage is 1.7k and there was still room left for improvements. but back to the topic, I do believe orber is more versatile than blizzers( unless aa ) but can be easily countered, ( made total of 2 blizzers, 3 orbers, than gave up on the built forever ) :(

14. Gotcha

Gotcha IncGamers Member

15. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

yeah, only a few things beat a well built orber.
    a ww barb, wwsin, trapper and a better sorc

if no block, zons are like 50/50 duels and chargers will just be annoying.

most ppl say windy>orber, but I've seen really good orbers just play massive defenese--taking down some of the best windys although 10 min duels.

16. AndyChrono

AndyChrono IncGamers Member

Yea. Once the CA goes down, most windies will die quickly to orb. They usually don't have much absorb/res stack since they put their faith in the CA. Also, Orb keeps Oak Sage dead at all times so the windy has far less life than they usually do. However if the windy just plays all defense and recasts CA like a paranoid freak then the best an orber can manage is a draw...

17. parkerbsb

Ok, well I was thinking of making either a Fball 200fcr dueler or a orber

However for the orber would you suggest just aiming for the 105 FCR rate? I cant see getting to 200 with fathom, so I'm guessing 105 is fast enough.

My main issue is that I am realm poor so I think a 200FCR fireballer is gonna be less expensive and nearly as solid a dueler.
    Or is there any cheap alternative for a orber that is still effective (fathom/nightwing are outta my range).

Also I find that alot of windies can teleport almost as fast as my bliz sorc right now... how do you keep away from them long enough to blast em with a orb?

18. semisonic9

semisonic9 IncGamers Member

Also, raven's are like almost as common as Cathan's, and some builds do actually use dual-ravens all the time. I almost never have my wisps on me, but there's at least one raven on like almost every char I have.

Ravens will eat orb, Blizz is another story. Honestly, I think ppl play the blizz sorc wrong. Get enough fcr, spam the ice-ball spell and blizz em when u can. Also, it might be worth looking at to skip some blizz synergies and count on fathom/skillers/etc. to get it up there, maybe invest in ES? I dunno, I don't play sorcs anymore since I went straight pvp.

If Doom wasn't BM, I'd say that Blizz alome would be fine. The minus res and +freeze duration would do very nicely.

19. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

doom = crap
    fathom>doom and you have enough -resist from mastery that doom wont make a difference vs 99% of duelers.

Even with dual ravens on, a 1.2k+ orb will still do enough dmg to kill pretty fast.

20. FoBBy(OD)

FoBBy(OD) IncGamers Member

dont feel bad, ur idea isnt bad at all.

my sorc has 3k life 12k blizz dmg 1.2k orb dmg. it rapes.