Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thought you guys might find this interesting...[yet more D3 rumors!]

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JihadJesus, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Thought you guys might find this interesting...[yet more D3 rumors!]

IGN has an article up describing information gleaned from Vivendi's government-mandated SEC filing. Towards the end of the article was the following:

In addition to boasting of World of Warcraft's contributions to Blizzard's success, Vivendi's presentation includes an outline of how the subsidiary's franchises could grow, listing new MMO, console, and PC entries of Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo as "potential" projects.

Not exactly anything new - why WOULDN'T D3 be a potential project? - but it's still nice to have some confirmation that it's being kicked around in high places.

2. TheDancinZealot

TheDancinZealot IncGamers Member

Mmo?

Perhaps more interesting then its mention, is that is grouped as "possible MMO, console, or PC entry..."

Likely no more than a Vivendi official trying to add words to the slide, but it at least means that they haven't ruled out trying to (in essence) compete with itself by publishing a second MMO...I think we can all agree (though of course, we can't:wink: ) that a Diablo MMO would be outrageously cool if it was pulled off right...much darker than WoW....

3. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I worked with a guy, who was in a guild with another guy who supposedly was hired to do concept art for a new blizzard project. He was asked to do various things involving demons in space. Yep, that's what I've heard.

4. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

He's doing the Arcane Sanctuary for the D3MMO! :rolleyes:

5. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

I reckon they're combining Starcraft and Diablo into one epic storyline. Kerrigan, possessed by the three Prime Evils all at once, trying to shatter the boundary between our dimension and Hell!

Play as a noble Terran, Protoss or Sanctuary hero, trying valiantly to save the galaxy they call home! Will you be able to stand your ground in the Secret Zergling Level?

On a more serious note, it's good to hear they still think about the Diablo series. A darker version of WoW would indeed be cool, but I think we're more likely to see something like "World of Starcraft". Demons in space doesn't sound that far removed from some zerg creatures after all. :(

6. RedArchon

I'm going to think outside the box here and say maybe they're working on a totally different game. Something that has nothing to do with Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo. All of Blizzard's main games have been something to do with those so maybe they're going to release something totally unrelated... some new pc crack for us to spend insane amounts of time playing. :grin:

7. snotblood

snotblood IncGamers Member

It is interesting.

There are many people who scoff at the idea of a D3. Those people know little or nothing about business or intellectual property.

At E3, a Blizz rep was asked about Starcrat and Diablo, and his reply was that Blizzard was interesting in developing their other franchises. The people who ahve an interest in the success of Blizzard know that an extension of these games is a slam dunk, when done correctly. Starcraft and Diablo are extremely valuable properties that only an insane company (like Microsoft maybe) would ignore. It's like having something of value and just throwing it away.

If they had no intention of developing a D3, then there would really be no reason for them to keep the D2 servers running. They could just kill the franchise and save themselves the cash and hassle of maintaining it.

I look for D3 sometime in 2007.

8. RedArchon

Maybe an announcement. It will take years for them to get a game going much less if they make it an MMO, then it will be even longer. Look how long you'd been hearing about WoW before they actually released it. Games take forever to make... unless they're totally crap games and they just throw it out there with little content and leave it all buggy.

I'd rather them take their time and get it right than release a failure just to make the quick cash.

9. Dark Sword

Dark Sword Banned

Kind of OT but i think that if they made a D2 movie where you see a party of the 7 Chars party up and just do the entire story line(well maybe not quest like Den of Evil) but i guess it would be Lord of the Ring type of movie.

10. RedArchon

There was an attempt at something like this with the Dungeons and Dragons movie awhile back and they failed horribly!

Let's not mention the WoW movie that they're getting ready to make... :embarassed:

11. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

there wont be another mmo from blizzard. not for years and years.

12. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

blizard wouldnt compete with itself by making something to cpmpete with wow +it would be to simerlar, i rekon if they do make a diablo 3 it will be in the smae style of diablo 2.

and the dungens and dragons movie wasnt that bad was it... i quite liked it when it first came out... or is my memory playing tricks with me

13. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Well, IMO there will be a D3 (but not 2007). That's certain. Will it be as good as the two previous ones; I doubt it.

But really, who needs D3 when we got Hellgate: London comig next year!

14. barren

barren IncGamers Member

Lots of people don't realize that mmo's don't really compete with each other. While wow has grown astronomically fast, it hasn't affected the sales of other mmos in a negative way. There isn't a set finite about of mmo players out there that companies fight over. Everytime a new big mmo comes out it attracts new players who've never played before creating an even larger pool of potential players for other mmos. The market stats for sales prove this; every other mmo benefits when one does well.

I thought it sounded crazy when I first read about this too.

15. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Interesting barren. What's your source?

I still think it would be wrong by Blizzard to release a MMO d3 in 2007 when they have a WoW. Waiting two or three more years sounds like a better deal to me (considering that lots of people still plays d2, so it won't be forgotten).

16. Guaicaipuro

Guaicaipuro IncGamers Member

D3 probably won't happen. Blizzard North doesn't exist anymore and Blizzard is too busy milking the MMO cow. If anything, they'll make World of Starcraft.

17. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Haha, sort of like how rockstar games released a extreme version of table tennis. Talk about going as far to the left as you could from GTA.:grin: