Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thought About Diablo Auction House

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Big Al, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Big Al

Big Al IncGamers Member

Thought About Diablo Auction House

I know much of the debate against a diablo 3 auction house is the incorporation of rare items, and basically the impossibilty of such a task. My suggestion (please be kind) is to only include items that are pre-made, a.k.a. uniques, gems, crafting items, sets, etc. As for rares, those will have to be involved in a different system that hopefully Blizzard has already made up. Whatever the case may be, Blizzard probably spent many a hour attempting to find a solution to this problem. The real question is: Is there any feasible solution at all?

2. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Re: Thought About Diablo Auction House

Why is it impossible to incorporate rare items?

You can do a search based on the base weapon type and the modifications it has.

For example, search for Lances with +200% or more Enhanced Damage. Wouldn't be hard to implement filters based on mods and the quality of those mods.

3. Big Al

Big Al IncGamers Member

I'm no computer whiz, but my thoughts were that the sheer amount of rares that would be thrown onto it would make such a task ridiculously tedious. IMO, a bartering system that is more formal in nature when compared to D2 would be the best solution. I mean, there are just too many variables in rares. And too many of them.

4. LegionOfSouls

LegionOfSouls IncGamers Member

I suspect that rares wouldn't be that much of a problem tbh as if your trading it, it exists as an item somewhere in the servers data base. Just have the auction house listing point to or show that files contents in an apropriate manner.

Edit: Oops looks like i've misunderstood the OP :/

Ok im with Spens with on this then.

5. Pwnyride

Pwnyride Banned

Thing is, Random rares won't be worth a whole hell of alot. In Diablo 2 gold was almost worthless. The implementation of the salvage system will take alot of the garbage items out of the mix. Most people will get more value out of the materials from salvaging an item in hopes to craft an extremely valuable item than the gold from the rare. You can compare this to enchanting in Wow. The materials usually were worth more to try for than attempting to pull mediocre gold from a garbage item

6. Big Al

Big Al IncGamers Member

That's a fantastic point. In all I jsut hope that any system close to an AH is implemented. I extremely disliked searching for TRadexsxsxsdf games only to find that the people inside had crappy weapons.

7. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Search could be a difficult task in D3. If you want to be able to put specific attributes like that then it might be a little ugly. They could obviously add a zillion fields for you to search by but considering they think weapon switch is too complicated for the least common denominator, I don't see them going to complicated route. What they could do is let you type a description and allow you to search for keywords.

So, if you want dual leech rings, you just search the ring category for "dual leech". Standard acronyms will likely come up. ED for enhanced damage etc. A system like that would probably be the best of both worlds.

8. spindrjr

spindrjr IncGamers Member

I think we have pretty much put that argument to rest haven't we? It's certainly not a technology issue, and a face-to-face trading system doesn't make it any easier, it just makes them harder to find and gives you less to look at.

The equivalent in the AH was if when you searched for a certain type of rare item, it only listed a random 10 to you, instead of all of them. The total time spent finding your ideal rare item would just be higher.

If a regular old AH gets implemented, it will likely be akin to WoW's magic items on the AH, just like Pwnyride mentioned. Most people will search for a good deal as far as salvaging the item, and some people will go there for a quick cheap upgrade while leveling. If they actually make some rares good, then some high levels will shop around for actual equipment too.

9. EvoV

EvoV IncGamers Member

The 2 potential issues I can see with the action house system are technical and stylistic.

Firstly, when comparing a d3 AH system to a WoW AH system, I think there's a few fundamental differences. Servers... the wow population is broken up into bit sized chunks via servers and factions. Having a single AH for each realm would still need to service a large number of players. I have no idea of what sort of volume of players they're predicting for d3, but I'll bet it's a couple more than would fit on a typical wow server... So I think the number of players, coupled with the fact that the sheer nature of the game being heavily centred around trade-able items means that a persistent AH system would need to handle much much larger volumes listings than WoW or even games like EVE etc imo.

Secondly, stylistically, I'm not sure how having a shared Auction house fits into the style and feel of the game. Finding a cool new weapon doesn't feel anywhere near as cool when you can look on the AH and see 50 of them already listed there. I think finding upgrades should feel like "Sweet!!" in d3. I think a large AH system that lists virtually anything there is, that's easily accessible for a price, would have a detrimental effect to the feel of the game and the awesomeness of finding upgrades.

Personally, I'm kind of fond of the large market games that are maybe true maybe super fake. Sounds like a sort of half way point between a shared AH system, and "Join game TradexxxNow4Itamz!". Hopefully the trading system is such that if you're looking for a rare item, a specific legendary for example, that simply finding someone with item you want, and willing to sell it will provide a mini "OmG! it dropped!!" moment. And that won't be possible if it's too easy to access.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

there are ways to prevent players from putting up every single item no matter what. i agree with spens i dont think there needs to be a seperate auction house for anything, 1 should be able to handle it all.

11. MindGame

MindGame IncGamers Member

This was my argument in the long thread about these market games and it got ripped apart by pretty much everyone. Seems like people either dont understand or don't care about the excitement of finding the item you want in a trade as opposed to just searching it on an ah and finding 50 of them.

I feel like the solution lies in a compromise of the two ideas. I think Blizzard is smart enough to know that a 1,000,000 person AH is a dumb idea because of the fact that it would take away all of the excitement of finding cool items considering there will be 50 of everything at all times. I also think they can see that the majority of people (myself not included in this but I understand the other side) want something more time efficient than 50 person market games.

I'm honestly expecting a compromise between the two. Either there will be a highly sectioned auction house idea where there are "realms" of 5k-50k people that you share an AH with, or there will be something along the lines of the market game but bigger. They could find some creative way or adding efficiency to the trading scheme but also keep some element of face to face interaction and possibly bartering along the lines of the market game, but make it like a 200-1000 person thing. Maybe there would be a way to list your items to the people within that game AH style, but you could also advertise what you have in channels. Plus it would be a cool way to take a bit of a break from regular games where all you have is your caravan to slow down the pace of killing stuff.

Either way, if people were taking bets on what it will be I would put everything on the 5k-50k person AH idea.

12. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

The problem I have with feeling like it's an accomplishment that you found 1 of the 50 people trading the items you're looking for means that they're basically hiding them. Why is it good to have to go on an easter egg hunt just to find someone trading a shako? At that point you're also more inclined to agree to a bad deal just because you don't want to go back to searching for the next guy trading a shako.

That would just be a frustrating experience to me. Knowing that it took so long to find someone willing to trade what I wanted. Knowing that I got a bad deal. All those things would drive me to the internet to find a trade forum and just ditch the in game setup.

13. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

Will this apply? I don't think we've seen a legendary item yet, but we know that rares have random mods and crafted items have some random mods. In Diablo 2, plenty of unique items had variable mods. If legendary items have variable mods, it will be much less likely that you see 50 of the same exact item.

14. Pwnyride

Pwnyride Banned

Well, there are systems that can restrain these things a little bit. If you've er played the game Aion, it works a little bit diffrent than wow. One person cant have an unlimited amount of things on the AH at one time. You were limited to 10-20 items. This meaning that you would be more likly to hold on to the valuable items and holding onto less of the garbage because you will get over burdened. The more valuable rare items are more likly to show up, since these are what people will make the most money off of.

The only real problem I see will be the lack of BoE items. Because over time these items will accumulate in the economy driving their worth wayyyyy down. Especially if bots are as bad in D3 as D2. Since you can buy an item use it until your done with it and then simply resell it, becomes more of a rental thing than a investement. Although if the amount of items that one person can have on the AH at one time does empliment then people will be more likly to get rid of/salvage items than keep them in the economy.

Either that, or people will have 137343274 mules

15. Pwnyride

Pwnyride Banned

10000 shakos on the AH will drive the price down to worthless and everyone will have all the gear they ever dreamed of for a mere 14g

16. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

So...rare items will be scarce & pricy if there is no AH, but they will be as thick as portal scrolls, and cheap, with an AH?

It stands to reason that if the market will create a glut of a certain item, it will have less value regardless of system.

17. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

It will be supply and demand. If there is massive supply then the item will end up being worthless. It seems fairly unlikely though. With a ton of people playing the game that means there's a ton of people who want the good items. Heck they probably all want 2 or 3 of the good items. That demand will sweep up all the stuff in the auction house just fine as along as the good items aren't dropping like crazy.

18. spindrjr

This. AH doesn't change the number of items available in a market, it just lets you find them all at once. Depending on the size of the AH, sure you might see several of the very rare items, but their price is still bound by the the laws of supply and demand.

Prices of everything will slowly drop, but this is because of the no-BOE systems, so stop trying to pin it on an AH. As as I recall, didn't they say they at one point that they were planning to regularly introduce new armor so that everyone didn't have the exact same stuff all the time?

19. Xandor

Xandor IncGamers Member

Guys, you'll be surprised when you realize that d3here guy is right regarding the Market

20. spindrjr

The d3here market idea seems like a plausible implementation. I just hope if that is the one that it is easier to find stuff that I am picturing.