Those poor exploding frogs.

[exile]

Diabloii.Net Member
Those poor exploding frogs.

Has anyone heard any follow-up to the original story? Like why they were exploding in the first place?

IIDX

Diabloii.Net Member
not sure if its the same thing, but i was watching the animal planet this one time and it said that frogs have some body chemical catalyst that acts as some self defense bomb, hence a dead frog...but i might mistaken this for some type of ant, not so sure.

besides whats teh story about these exploding frogs.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Some bird,ravens I think were plucking out one of their organs,which causes there lungs to inflate & boom.:scared:

Rik

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
rikstaker said:
Some bird,ravens I think were plucking out one of their organs,which causes there lungs to inflate & boom.:scared:

Rik
thats what i heard also

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
i actually saw one pop here in ontario...the damn thing did have a hole in him but i didn't see what did it to him before he split...so i would guess the bird explanation is likely correct

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
IIDX said:
not sure if its the same thing, but i was watching the animal planet this one time and it said that frogs have some body chemical catalyst that acts as some self defense bomb, hence a dead frog...but i might mistaken this for some type of ant, not so sure.

besides whats teh story about these exploding frogs.
"Self"-defense by explosion? Isn't that a contradiction?

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Omikron8 said:
"Self"-defense by explosion? Isn't that a contradiction?

yup. Self-defense for the species as a whole.
After a few frog explosion caused accidents predators will steer clear of them

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Then it seems meerkats aren't the only self-sacrificing animals on the planet after all!

(that was in a thread about a week ago: the oldest one in the groups lets attackers catch him and ensures the safety of the rest, for a while at least.)

Don't know if it's true though.... about the frogs.

David.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
when toads are threatened, they inflate themselves to scare predators away. So when ravens picked out the liver of a toad, it's automatic reaction was to inflate itself, but with their liver gone and a huge hole in their stomach the pressure got to big and they exploded. That's what I read in the newspaper :)

HoD

Don't buy it. Why where the toads only being attacked by ravens in one very particular area of the region? There are ravens and toads all over the place...

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
Herald of Doom said:
when toads are threatened, they inflate themselves to scare predators away. So when ravens picked out the liver of a toad, it's automatic reaction was to inflate itself, but with their liver gone and a huge hole in their stomach the pressure got to big and they exploded. That's what I read in the newspaper :)

HoD
yes thats it! Thats a much more accurate version of the explanation I gave. :D .But still the mystery isnt completely solved.

Rik

Mecal

Diabloii.Net Member
and someone want to tell my why the Ravens would only pick out the Livers? :confused:

edit: or they would puff up, the ravens wouldnt care, take out the liver, and then explode?

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Mecal said:
and someone want to tell my why the Ravens would only pick out the Livers? :confused:

edit: or they would puff up, the ravens wouldnt care, take out the liver, and then explode?
German toad livers go good with worms and dragonflies? :scratch:

I'm with DC on this one.