Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thorns build

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Livslykka, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Livslykka

Livslykka IncGamers Member

Thorns build

Is it possible to make a decent thorns build?

Skills/stats/items ideas would be great.

2. azn_gamer2003

azn_gamer2003 IncGamers Member

concidering that you need to be hit for throns to work, i would use items with %damage reduction high lvl thorns and a shitload of heath on top of that being hit in hell without lots of health isn't fun. And since in hell lots of monsters have elemental damage tags, you are going to need a lots of resistances. This is only preliminary, but I hope it helped

3. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff IncGamers Member

My first ever paladin in D2 was something like a thorns build. (1.07)

Maxed zeal and thorns, having no idea what I was doing, but I made it through normal (barely, all the elements flying in the Chaos Sanctuary near killed me way too often) and part of the way through NM, then I stopped playing. I guess nothing then relates to the game now, but I'm pretty sure it wouldnt be able to survive Hell.

About PDR-You take less damage, meaning you return less

4. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Use convert to get 16-second minions and let them, not yourself, be hit.

5. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

This is pre-1.10 experience. I used convert as someone suggested before and Hardcore. I used an extremly fast weapon and low damage. When mobs are converted back, and you hit them hard, you die because the thorns is still on them. For the same reasons, you use either a rogue or an act III merc. It was incredibly fun and somewhat effective against mobs. The two big problems:

- Killing bosses. Unless you have extreme leaching capabilities, it is just too hard. Specially since many bosses use non melee attacks so the thorns don;t do s***. So you still need old zeal+fanatism and a nice damage weapon to kill the bosses.

- Killing your playmates. This is actually a PK style in HC. Since unconverted mobs would still have the thorns. WW Barbs, zeal palys are in tremendous danger. So in groups I didn;t used convert at all since I wasn't into PK. As you can imagine, even in SC its extremly anoying for the others.

6. Shadoway

Shadoway IncGamers Member

Exactly! That is pre-1.10 and it is post-1.10 now. Aura works differently now.

BTW, you should always use a low damage weapon to convert---solves the IM problem. For example, 6-socket crystal sword (or 6-s military pick) with shaels to reach 8-frame convert easily. Stack CB gear (orphan's helm, gorerider, etc) and switch to zeal/fanatism for big boss.

7. Squix

Squix IncGamers Member

I remember it was like this once... If you have 1 hit point and a monster kills itself via your thorns, will you survive the blow?

I figured this out by accident when i first started playing... made getting my body back from (norm) cows so much easier!

8. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

I didn't say that it was the same post-1.10. You didn't explain to us what changed with convert. Also, you repeated one thing that I said for 1.09: use low damage weapon. Seems that that didn't changed.

9. DistortedRiff

DistortedRiff IncGamers Member

Its not with convert, its with auras. They don't really stick anymore.