Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thornadin?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Hirbow, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hirbow

Hirbow IncGamers Member

Thornadin?

Anyone for fun has tried a thorn/aura based paladin,

I'm not looking for replys with - it's a waste, what vs casters/archers / pvp. This is for PvM, Fun only, was thinking of making a character with max thorns and as many damage shield possible?

Any links/ suggestions?

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I don't know what you mean by "as many damage shield as possible". Are you talking about maxing blocking? Are you talking about stacking on a lot of "Damage Reduced by X%" or "Damage Reduced by X" gear?

Any of those is a bad idea for a Thorns paladin. If you cut the damage that you take in half, you've just cut the damage that you're returning in half, too. If you block an attack, you've just reduced the damage that you're returning to 0. The optimal Thorns build is more about MAXIMIZING how much damage you take, rather than minimizing it.

3. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

I think he meant "damage shield" = "Attacker takes damage of X" such as for example shield with 4x Pskulls, Razortail belt and so on... A Paladin of this kind could work PvM normal rather well but would probably struggle later on, bosses archers and casters would be troublesome though but the build was actually rather common in early patches... Another option to get thorns is a necromancer using Bramble and Edge to get a high level Thorns aura while having minions absorb the blows (Amplify damage helps alot aswell)

If you're going paladin (which is cheaper but not the same potential) you are free to spend all or close to all points into vita as neither defence, mana or blockrate matters at all... (though some repriorisations can be done if you also want an active way of killing things whether you go for Zeal, FoH, BH or whatever is up to you) Don't expect being cookiecutter in hell though...

Oh, also don't forget CONVERSION Giving you some meat shields, think there's an outdated guide for that kind of Paladin somewhere around here.

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

An idea I've been thinking of is to combine it with a pally using an insight weapon and max prayer. This will give you life regeneration as well, which might be needed unless you plan to stack massive lifeleech gear (but that limits your equip even more)
    Anyway. The goal is to have a good source of life coming to you, either through lots of leech (best probably), or through prayer aura. No shield, no dr, no %dr. and almost most important: NO DEFENSE, OR THEY'LL NEVER HIT.
    Thorns aura gives better returns than using "attacker takes damage of xx" gear imo, so you'd better use the gear to maximize your life.

5. jakotaco

Well I tried with putting a bramble armor on my Insight abusing double-prayer-healing paladin (based on the ambulancedin guide) And the damage was rather low in nm, but that was just lvl 17 thorns, though it did help me a bit when swarmed by maggots (what else can a charger without zeal do?)

But a pure Thornadin using Insight with maxed prayer for synergy could probably get some more damage out of his thorns...

A quick question though, would converted enemies get healed by the aura if using it? I know my kicksin often heals what the Shadow converts due to Life Tap, but I also think I've heard something of mercaneries don't benefitting of meditation healing unless wielding insight themselves so maybe that would do... But I dunno.

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

No, converted monsters would not gain the benefit of Meditation because they have no mana. If they have no mana, they can't get a mana-regen-boosting aura, and if they don't get the aura, they don't get the healing that goes along with it. As a result, Meditation will not heal converted monsters, but if you're running Prayer or Cleansing, those most certainly will.

It's a moot point, most of the time, since monster regen rates are ridiculous compared to the regen rate offered by Prayer. Also, if you convert a monster that's a higher level than you are, when he unconverts a single point of damage is enough to kill him. That's where Thorns + Conversion makes most of its money- adventuring in areas beyond their level and watching as unconverted monsters one-hit-kill themselves on one of your thorned minions.

7. k/t

k/t Banned

Don't forget Phoenix for keeping you alive.

Also, a Conversion pally with Thorns is great fun for killing your party members. I would like to make one just for that. Oh, it's gonna be glorious. (If indeed it works as well as people say.)

8. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Consider getting an Act 1 Merc and give her a Edge + Bramble set up. It'll give you a stacked Thorns that'll be fun for PvM. The biggest objection is that most Pallys don't have a significant amount of minions (maybe some via Conversion), but that's about it. So unless you're rocking with a party thorns is just okay. Now if you've got a party with some summoners (Necro or Druid) and a bunch of others then you're talking. Mix and match the auras and go get 'em!!!
    Oh wait... you're gonna use it to kill your own party members? Eh... Didn't thorns get nerfed in PvP?

Oh well... Good luck and Good hunting!
    Kirah

9. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

1/10th instead of the usual pvp nerfing of 1/6.

10. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

one of my very old coop hammerdins was setup like this (this is be torches)
    47 conc +750%ed (+might merc) +1000% ed total
    45 conviction -250%
    45 thorns 2010% return

you add amp + a necro army and its a ton of fun. almost as much fun as thorns/convert was way back before LOD came out.

-Tempus-

11. jakotaco

I think they fixed that aura bug that allowed to unconverted ones to keep thorns aura for a sec or two causing your friendly barbarian's whirlwind to stop rather abruptly when he tried killing them... :rolleyes: