Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thornadin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by punshier99, Apr 14, 2005.

1. punshier99

punshier99 IncGamers Member

Thornadin

I've been wanting to try out a Thornadin for some time now, but I haven't got the slightest clue on how to build one. I know you need mucho life and a high level of thorns for it to be viable in PvP, other than that :confused: . If anyone knows where a good 1.10 build is, I would appreciate it very much or if someone could stear me in the right direction on what skills would be good for PvP (zeal, defiance, holy shield, thorns...??), then I'd right a guide for it :D .

2. Sszark

Sszark IncGamers Member

It isn't viable for PvP. It isn't viable for anything past normal. I've had one.

See, Blizzard either hates Paladins or never had anyone on staff play Diablo 2. Thorns is utter crap against people (and monsters). Immediately you have the 10% penalty. So a level 20 thorns goes from an awesome 1010 to 101%. Which would be fine, but oops! everyone on earth has 75% physical resist! And over 50% leech! So in the end, max thorns does nothing but slightly lower leech.

There was no need for a 1/10th penalty in the first place. On top of it, there's physical reduction gear. There's no need for both of them to exist simultaneously, but as I told you before, Blizzard and logical balance decisions don't mix.

There's a bug with thorns that might still be active. If have more than 1 HP and get hit with a blow that would kill you, you fall to 1 HP and your attacker recieves 100% of the damage inflicted on you. So if I have 32 HP and a Barbarian hit me for 1,200, I go to 1 HP and he takes 1,200 damage regardless of my level of thorns.
    I don't know if that bug is still around. If it is, I'd recommend 1 point into Thorns, and switch right when you think you are going to die. Otherwise Thorns is a massive waste of time against people.

Unless you have 6k+ life and level 40+ thorns, you can forget about using it starting in nightmare.

EDIT: If you're still dying to use Thorns, make Bramble. Then you can see how bad it sucks and feel glad you didn't waste ~20 points on a dead-end skill.

3. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Where did you get that Blizzards hate Paladins? Paladins are probably by far one of the best classes (certainly not the worse).

Thorns will not work, I could say that much. Physical resistance in hell would make it near useless, addition to that, you must get hit and you could only get hit so many times before you die (with or without potions). The aura also doesn't help your allies very much because you rely on them getting hit. It's one of the reasons why Spirit of the Barbs is horrible. At least with something like Conviction, Fanatacism, Salvation, etc. could help your allies in one way or another without putting them in danger.

4. punshier99

punshier99 IncGamers Member

Okay, thanks. I just made me a Bramble and go lvl 21 thorns and 36 to poison %.

5. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Just a few corrections:

Physical resistance is capped at 50% in 1.10.
    Leeching from another player has been completely nerfed in 1.10.