Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoradin 1.0 (Ladder Build, PvM)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by hawky, Apr 16, 2008.

1. hawky

hawky IncGamers Member

Thoradin 1.0 (Ladder Build, PvM)

Table of Contents

1.0 Introduction
    2.0 What is a Thoradin?
    3.0 Stat Points
    3.1 Explanation
    4.0 Skill Points
    4.1 Explanation
    5.0 Equipment Options
    5.1 Helm
    5.2 Body
    5.3 Weapon
    5.4 Shield
    5.5 Belt
    5.6 Gloves
    5.7 Boots
    5.8 Rings
    5.9 Amulet
    5.10 Switch
    6.0 Mercenary
    7.0 Progression
    8.0 Playing Style
    9.0 Final Words

1.0 Introduction

Hey everyone! I want to start off by saying that I have been a lurker on the diabloii.net forums for a long, long time, but have only relatively recently made an account. However, I still hardly ever post, but I feel now, I truly have something to post about. With that, I present to you my new build I have created. We shall call it a Thoradin.

NOTE: The Thoradin is very gear dependent and should not be played unless you are able to get all the gear listed.

2.0 What is a Thoradin?

"What is a Thoradin?", I hear you ask. I doubt you have heard of one before, because as far as I am aware, it is my creation. A Thoradin can be described as a Paladin who realizes that although Hammerdins seem to dominate PvM, there is always room for improvement. A Thoradin is a character that can handle any situation that comes at it. First off, let's describe where the name comes from: Thor, a Greek god, was known mostly for thunder, and, of course, his hammer. A Thoradin is known for his hammers, as well as a primary Aura, Holy Shock. Holy Shock, though, is not all that powerful unless it is combined with a melee skill. The Thoradin gets this melee skill through limited skill points spent in Zeal.

3.0 Stat Points

Strength: Enough for gear
    Dexterity: Enough for Max Blocking with Holy Shield/Enough for gear
    Vitality: Everything Else
    Energy: NONE!

3.1 Explanation

Strength: Pretty much any self respecting build in Sanctuary keeps their strength to the minimum needed to wield their equipment. The Thoradin is no different.

Dexterity: Here is one of your first choices: Do you want to be able to use your shield to the best of it's abilities, or do you feel that you would be better helped by more life? There are advantages to both, as your shield will do nothing to stop magical attacks, however, a shield will help more against melee attacks then more life will. For my Thoradin, I went for max blocking.

Vitality: More life is always better. 'Nuff said.

Energy: You should have little to no mana problems with this build. Yes, you will have to drink potions. I'm sorry.

4.0 Skill Points

Blessed Hammer: 20
    Zeal: 1/20
    Holy Shield: 0/20
    Blessed Aim: 20
    Vigor: 20
    Concentration: 0
    Resist Lightning: 20
    Holy Shock: 0

4.1 Explanation

Blessed Hammer: This is a definite maxing skill. This is one of your primary sources of damage, and is great as almost nothing is immune to your hammers.

Zeal: Zeal is a bit of a one-hit wonder for this build, as it gives us a decent source of backup damage. If you decide to max Holy Shield, keep it at one until all other skills are maxed, and then you mhould have room to dump in one more point if you reach level 99.

Holy Shield: If you are going for a more defensive approach, max this. my Thoradin has over 16k defense with this maxed, which when mixed with maxed resists and 75% blocking makes him almost untouchable. If you want more offensive power, use the points you would have spent here to max Zeal.

Blessed Aim: This is a synergy for Blessed Hammer. Max it.

Vigor: This is a synergy for Blessed Hammer. Max it.

Concentration: Remember when I said this build was very gear-Dependant? This is why. No points will be spent here, as this aura will come from a different source. See Equipment Options for more information.

Resist Lightning: This is the skill that makes Holy Shock a viable skill.

Holy Shock: This is another thing that makes the Thoradin very gear dependent. This aura will come from your gear as well.

5.0 Equipment Options

5.1 Helm

Your options here are very limited. Your only option here if you want to be a Thoradin is a Dream runeword. I have mine built in to a Carona, as it offers great defense at a high strength requirement which is fulfilled by my Enigma. You may wish to use a lower strength requirement helm if you do not plan on using an Enigma.

5.2 Body

Here, you have a little more leeway. For my Thoradin, I used an Enigma because of it's + Skills, Huge + Str, and great Magic Find. Another option here include Chains of Honor for + Skills, great resists, and damage reduction, among others. Finally, a greatly viable armor is Fortitude, who's primary strength is it's huge Enhanced Damage.

5.3 Weapon

For my Thoradin, I used a Heaven's Light scepter, because it is viable well still being cheap. It's two open sockets provide room for socketing things that will help make up for things we're missing (Resists, attack speed, damage, magic find, damage reduction... the possibilities are endless). Other great options here include runewords such as Death, Breath of the Dieing, or almost any of the combat-based runewords.

5.4 Shield

Once again, your only option here is a Dream runeword. Try to build one in a Paladin shield for the resists.

5.5 Belt

There are a number of options here. If you wish to enhance your happers, maybe go for an Arachnids Mesh. If you're looking to give yourself more melee strength, maybe go for a Verdungo's. I went for an Arach's for this slot.

5.6 Gloves

Here, like the belt, you may chose to either go for caster gloves or more combat based gloves. I went for caster gloves (Trang's gloves) because of their resists and faster cast rate for my hammers. Other options include Magefists, Dracul's, Frostburns, or any one of a number of other viable gloves.

5.7 Boots

I went for Ethereal Sandstorm Treks because of their faster run/walk, + strength, and + vitality. You may consider Goreriders, Wartravellers, or Waterwalks.

5.8 Rings

Here, you have a few options. You could go for either SoJ for their + skills and + mana, or Bul Kathos rings for their + Skills and + life. Another option of course is one of the limitless possibilities found in rare and crafted rings. Look for modifiers such as faster cast rate, + life, + mana, + resists, or Magic Find.

5.9 Amulets

Again, there are a couple options here. Both Mara's (resists, + skills) and Seraph's (+ skills) are great options here. If you're either insanely lucky or insanely rich, you might try getting a rare or crafted amulet with +2 Paladin Skills, with the mods shown in the Rings section.

5.10 Switch

On switch, you will want either a Heart of the Oak flail or a Call to Arms as a weapon, and either a Herald of Zakarum or Spirit Monarch as a shield.

6.0 Mercenary

Your mercenary should no doubt be an Act II Combat mercenary. This mercenary's healing Prayer aura will help you recover from any damage done to you. As for gear, the only vital thing is it's weapon, which should most definitely be a Pride Runeword, as it grants the vital level 20 Concentration aura to you and your hammers. Options for armor include Fortitude, Chains of Honor, Up'd Twitch, etc. Great helms include a Dream helm, Delerium, Vampiric Gaze, etc.

7.0 Progression

As you level up, you will want to concentrate on leveling Blessed Hammer and it's synergies, as you will not be able to make use of the points in Resist Lightning until you can equip your Dreams at higher levels. I would max the skills in this order: Blessed Hammer, Vigor, Blessed Aim, Resist Lightning, then
    Holy Shield or Zeal.

8.0 Playing Style

A Thoradin is a great build because it gives you many options. Unlike a Hammerdin who must exclusively spam hammers, you can use Zeal to deal with enemies who seem too fast for your hammers, or if you just need a change of pace. As far as playing style goes, there is lots of information on how to play them elsewhere; play this build like you would a Zealot or a Hammerdin, depending on which you are doing at the time.

9.0 Final Words

Thank you all for reading my guide, and please post any feedback. A thank you list will be added as feedback comes in. Thanks again for reading.

2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Re: Thoradin 1.0 (Ladder Build, PvM)

Um..I really dont know how well this would work out. Your hammers would do min. dmg, your zeal also wont be that great even with the dreams. No convic for aura, no conc for hammers. Unless you use a 35% fcr spirit on switch you wont be hittin the 75% fcr bp with cta, let alone annoyin enough to switch weps to tele then switch back. Props for a different build, but why not just have a grief handin on a hdin with 1 pnt zeal you already have smite also.

3. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Its like you are trying to combine an auradin, a zealer and a hammerdin in one. But each build uses different stats and different auras.

Your zeal damage will be pitiful and slow with no fanaticism, your hammers will do Ok damage because of the conc aura from pride but still not very much, and the fact your FCR is low. You have no conviction for holy shock so you won't be able to break immunities or do any high damage.

Its nice to think out of the box but you can't try to combine 3 different builds into 1 and call it a new build. This is a good theme build for fun if you want to play "Thor" but not a very viable one.

4. KerryKing

KerryKing IncGamers Member

A little OT but i just had to point out that Thor is not a Greek good :)
    He is one of the Wiking gods from the northern countries in Europe. Do a search on Wikipedia/Google and you will get a more correct background :)

5. prion

prion IncGamers Member

hawky what aura are you using on yourself? i dun see it anywhere..

6. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

You can't really improve on an Hammerdin either. Not if you're going to weaken him, anyway.