This whole scientology thing...what the heck is it?

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
that's because you're broke.

technically catholics are supposed to tithe 10%. again, that's just a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule. Heck, a lot of catholics don't even go to mass.

the difference is that that money paid to the catholic church isn't buying you anything but a nicer church and helping pay for whatever churches need to run. in scientology the charge is required and it's supposed to buy some form of salvation.

The way it works with scientologists, if you dont have the dough, you dont get to go.

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
“It’s clear the LDS Church influence plays some kind of role in bankruptcy,†Godfrey says of their findings. “I had students look at different religions. The LDS Church is the only one that talks about financial literacy from the pulpit. But there tends to be some weird cultural values that may encourage people to engage in riskier financial transactions.†He describes these as informal myths—beliefs that, though neither taught nor encouraged by the church, form among some members. Blind faith, in a sense.

Godfrey’s students discovered two myths that stem from the tithing regularly practiced by many church members as a kind of price of admission to the faith. One myth says that tithing will protect a person from financial harm. The second is that tithing will result in financial blessings. In a way, these myths reflect LDS Church doctrine, except that they stop short of the need to be pragmatic. Godfrey points out, however, that his research did not go so far as to explore just how many people actually believed such myths or acted upon them, or how many people would use such myths to explain why they went bankrupt.
http://www.slweekly.com/editorial/2003/feat_2003-07-31.cfm

Some interesting ex-mormon tithing stories.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon274.htm

chased

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
yeah, that's basically scientology. sounds like you get it.
Well I am gonna tell you. Yes they are trin' to sell you a book.
The knowlage contained in the book will answer more questions about the human mind and capibilities than any other documentation you will ever buy.

The reason they will not give you this book free of charge, is there has to be exchange. You have to make efforts to improve. you cannot have a free ride & excel. Its a fact of life. So you put something out there for the knowlege. & you will more than likely treat the book as an earned possesion then something some one put on your door step.

Secondly I will tell you that the ONLY place you will find any real information on the subject IS IN THE BOOKS. If you want to know anything about the subject go to a used bookstore & buy a copy. Also go ahead & buy a dictionary for LRH uses phrases that are not as common today as they were 50 years ago.

Stop trin to cop free knowlage on life. GO READ A BOOK.

chased

Diabloii.Net Member
About the tithe...
If you are to pathetic or "unfortunate" to supply your self with enough money to pay for your own eductation or the education of your own family. The Church dose not care. They do not look for pitty cases or the bottom of the barrel. The people in the church work between 40-70 hrs a week without pay unless they get money from patrons.The people of the church are sucsessful enough to take care of them selfs. They pay for their education with pride. They do not bicker about paying money for an education, or to better them selfs physically, spiritualy, & scocially.

Also, unlike a tithe where u pay weekly or monthly.
In the Church you pay as you want. If you want a tech or a process then you pay for it, you get it. you want to make payments that fine too. If you want a book you buy it. etc.

You get mass for your donations (which are all tax deductible) unlike church where you get spiritual obligations for your weekly earnings.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
Jeez, this thread's last post was over 9 months ago... This was before I got to the OTF.

Chased, if it's not in the first 3 pages or so, just let it go.

HobbesAC

Diabloii.Net Member
lol its just like any other religious sect. the only reason why they were founded at the first place is to make the founders/leaders (or whatever they call these holy bastards) very very rich on some lonely and usually uneducated souls expense... its very much like communist dictatorship or facist regime. all the members should consider the leader as some kind of god and/or at least donate huge amount of money to their dear leaders directly or indirectly :rolleyes:

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
HobbesAC said:
lol its just like any other religious sect. the only reason why they were founded at the first place is to make the founders/leaders (or whatever they call these holy bastards) very very rich on some lonely and usually uneducated souls expense... its very much like communist dictatorship or facist regime. all the members should consider the leader as some kind of god and/or at least donate huge amount of money to their dear leaders directly or indirectly :rolleyes:
I read that it got founded for another reason.
Ray Bradbury made a bet with L. Ron Hubbard that he could not start a religion.
Dunno if it's true or not but if so looks like Bradbury lost.

Pitboss_2000

Diabloii.Net Member
chased said:
The people of the church are sucsessful enough to take care of them selfs. They pay for their education with pride.
chased said:
they are trin'
knowlage
capibilities
knowlege
Stop trin
knowlage
eductation
dose not care
pitty
sucsessful
them selfs
spiritualy
scocially
that fine too.
Excellent! Looks like something I'd join! >_>

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
buttershug said:
I read that it got founded for another reason.
Ray Bradbury made a bet with L. Ron Hubbard that he could not start a religion.
Dunno if it's true or not but if so looks like Bradbury lost.
If that's true, then big Elron just got some major points in my book.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
What I can't believe is that he went through hundreds of pages of old threads looking for one about Scientology... those guys sure are committed. Or at least, they should be committed. I guess he must've just used the search feature.

By the way guys, I think we're all going to be facing lawsuits.

tarnok

Diabloii.Net Member
Clearly if we plan to continue this conversation we'll have to speak in code to protect ourselves.

The black crow flies at midnight.