This whole scientology thing...what the heck is it?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
So, these aliens came to earth, lived in volcanoes, but they escaped and now live in humans. Oh, and thats $360,000 please.
Now, how can they justify this amount of money since they are officially a non-profit organisation?
It's a DONATION! Really. Any similarity to cult-like behaviour, well, they'll just let you talk with their lawyers about that.

jmervyn said:
It's a DONATION! Really. Any similarity to cult-like behaviour, well, they'll just let you talk with their lawyers about that.
Yes, but that is a characteristic of most modern cults. Give us your money and all your belongings, and then you can get a nice afterlife, or inner peace or something like that.
And those are some nice gns you got there merv.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
I dont see any real difference between the beliefs of Sciencetology and the Bible, or the Koran for the matter. All of them have unbelievlable aspects to them, so I don't see why one is looked down upon while the others are accepted.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Carnage-DVS said:
I dont see any real difference between the beliefs of Sciencetology and the Bible, or the Koran for the matter. All of them have unbelievlable aspects to them, so I don't see why one is looked down upon while the others are accepted.
Probably because Christians & Muslims don't sic lawyers on you in droves for leaving them. Muslims might try to cut off your head for blasphemy, but even they aren't as trigger-happy as Scientologists seem to be. Check out that site - it makes for some disturbing reading.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Scientology is also responsible for a lot of pseudo-science bull**** pop culture stuff. Scientologists basically pay for the church to never let them leave. They often try to convince college students that theyd be much better off with the SeaOrg (scientologists on boats), than with that degree their parents waste money on.

KillJoyBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Carnage-DVS said:
IMHO, you're mistaken. Read the material from Cloud_Walker's post in this thread (second page I think). Scientology is a bad mix of rehashed outdated philosophy, very poor scientific dicipline, and modern greed.

What religion charges people for enlightenment?

I'm supposed to be possessed by the spirit of slain aliens from a volcano? Please!!

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
KillJoyBob said:
IMHO, you're mistaken. Read the material from Cloud_Walker's post in this thread (second page I think). Scientology is a bad mix of rehashed outdated philosophy, very poor scientific dicipline, and modern greed.

I'm supposed to be possessed by the spirit of slain aliens from a volcano? Please!!
Hey... a fool and his money are soon parted, and the wise man puts himself in a position to profit from it. Some people will believe anything.

Pherdnut

Diabloii.Net Member
The defining characteristic of cult vs religion is whether or not the organization attempts to alienate followers from all nonbelievers (i.e. the rest of the community at large) for the purpose of exploitation. In this light, a lot of fundamenetalist sects can be seen as cult-like at best.

Scientology is very much a cult and one that has harmed hundreds of thousands of people world-wide and Tom Cruise is a jackass for helping to further their cause.

There are theories that a lot of religions start out as cults. Mormonism certainly did, but is no longered considered one by most authorities on the matter.

Edit:

giantpinkbunnyhead said:
Hey... a fool and his money are soon parted, and the wise man puts himself in a position to profit from it. Some people will believe anything.
The reason scientologists will accept all this nonsense is because not accepting it means they have to live with the fact that they've been total larks for years and tens of thousands of dollars. That's why they don't kick things off by telling people the relgion is based on really crappy sci-fi. I think L. Ron Hubbard got a sick kind of kick out of making what higher levellers "discover" even more bizarre and outlandish the higher they get just to see how far he could push people's insane need to justify the fact that they've given everything over to the church. If I could go back in time and strangle that bastard I would, but I do have to admire how brilliant he was at selling complete and total BS to people. He was a very accomplished verbal story teller and an amazing liar.

I still love that Jack Parsons stole his woman though. Bwaahaaahaaaa. Love & Rockets. Excellent read about one of most bizarre characters in the development of modern rocketry.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
KillJoyBob said:
From what I understand a Mormon is expected to donate x% of his/her pay directly to the church, and many other churches work the same way. I don't see wanting money as necessarily invalidating a religion, if that was the case there would not be a single religion left in the world.

Dutch

Dutchman said:
From what I understand a Mormon is expected to donate x% of his/her pay directly to the church, and many other churches work the same way. I don't see wanting money as necessarily invalidating a religion, if that was the case there would not be a single religion left in the world.

Dutch
Yes, but theres a difference in giving what you can, and demanding a huge amount from everyone. There is no way a single mum could afford to be a scientologist, and at higher levels you have o give up your job and dedicate your entire life to these people. That is what makes it stand out as a cult rather than a religion IMO.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Dutchman said:

Dutch
Plus, I may tithe, but I'm only under a spiritual obligation to do so - and there's really no 'thunderbolts & plagues' implied if I don't, nor would a Muslim be somehow condemned for not giving alms to a particular beggar. The idea of "paying for enlightenment" is pretty apropos from all I've heard - you have to fork over the specific amount of cash before you can attend whatever level meeting you desire. So far as I know, other than typical 'bribery' for the cleric to perform whatever office of service, there really hasn't been a comparable tradition since the medieval payments for indulgences. And those were generally bribing God for forgiveness rather than a requirement.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
Yes, but theres a difference in giving what you can, and demanding a huge amount from everyone. There is no way a single mum could afford to be a scientologist, and at higher levels you have o give up your job and dedicate your entire life to these people. That is what makes it stand out as a cult rather than a religion IMO.
I'm not talking about a collection plate that you can pass along when your pockets are light, I'm talking about a % right off the top of your salary. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that could use that extra cash.

I'm not trying to single out mormons, I'm sure many religions take % of salaries, it just happens to be the one I know about as a former co-worker of mine was handing over an astounding (at least to me) 20% of his pay to the church. Point being that all religions need some money, and there is plenty of other stuff about scientology that warrants a raised eyebrow or two so we shouldn't just look at the cash and say "what a bunch of loonies!"

Dutch

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Dutchman said:
I'm not talking about a collection plate that you can pass along when your pockets are light, I'm talking about a % right off the top of your salary. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that could use that extra cash.

I'm not trying to single out mormons, I'm sure many religions take % of salaries, it just happens to be the one I know about as a former co-worker of mine was handing over an astounding (at least to me) 20% of his pay to the church. Point being that all religions need some money, and there is plenty of other stuff about scientology that warrants a raised eybrow or two so we shouldn't just look at the cash and say "what a bunch of loonies!"

Dutch
I'm not overly familiar with Mormons, though I spent some barracks BS sessions with some of them. My understanding is that a tithe, or even the 20% you mention, is still a voluntary contribution (i.e. no "taking") rather than a pre-requirement. There's a definite difference between the two.

I honestly don't care; my concerns are with their malevolent legislative behaviours and their attempts to co-opt or manipulate the Gov't. Anything you want to point at regarding us 'terrorist Christians' pales in comparison to the stunts that Scientology has pulled.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
Anything you want to point at regarding us 'terrorist Christians' pales in comparison to the stunts that Scientology has pulled.
Huh? Where did this one come from?

Dutch

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive never been to a church mosque or synawhatever that requires you to pay a few hundred dollars to attend a service.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Geeno said:
Ive never been to a church mosque or synawhatever that requires you to pay a few hundred dollars to attend a service.
that's because you're broke.

technically catholics are supposed to tithe 10%. again, that's just a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule. Heck, a lot of catholics don't even go to mass.

the difference is that that money paid to the catholic church isn't buying you anything but a nicer church and helping pay for whatever churches need to run. in scientology the charge is required and it's supposed to buy some form of salvation.

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
Mormons are expected, not recommended, but expected to tithe a minimum of 10% of their earnings to the church. That is one of the reasons Utah has the highest percentage of bankruptcy cases in the country.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Ranger14 said:
Mormons are expected, not recommended, but expected to tithe a minimum of 10% of their earnings to the church. That is one of the reasons Utah has the highest percentage of bankruptcy cases in the country.
but does that tithe buy them a spot in heaven? or is it just expected so they can run their church stuff? See i don't care if it's just for church stuff...but if it's you pay this or you go to hell/don't achieve enlightenment/whatever that's a scam.