This whole scientology thing...what the heck is it?

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
Draconis said:
Madness : The Hubologists are based on Scientologists. If you made it as far as the Hubologist headquarters in San Fran, you may remember an 'inspirational talk' given by two special celebrity guests, including one 'Juan Cruz'.
yeah I thought about that after I posted, but I got the feeling this whole scientology thing is new, and that Cruise was just getting into it or something.
Oh well, it's still funny.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
Download, errr, I mean legally listen to the Faith no More song Land of Sunshine. All of those bizzarre questions they are hurling around in that song are off of the scientology assessment test. I've never heard anyone else mention that, but I happened to take that test as part of a project on Hubbard once, right around the time that song was out (christ I'm old) and noticed right away.

Anyway, like any religion, scientology strikes me as a set of rules to govern behaviour/better yourself designed for people too weak to do it themselves. The difference is that when the collection plate gets passed around in church you can pass it along, not so much in ye old Church O' Scientology.

Dutch

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
You've gotta be kidding right?
You need to give the benefit of the doubt to any religion created from whole cloth by a 1950's pulp sci-fi writer.

I'm actually surprised whenever someone who uses the Internet doesn't know about Scientology. I'm not making fun; the furor over Scientology was one of the first big issues to ever involve the technology of the Internet directly. One of the people who forked over large volumes of cash realized just what he was doing, and reprinted some of these more, er, 'advanced' texts on the Internet. The 'Church' was furious, and proceeded with any number of deviant, hateful, and illegal actions against its critics - however, most of these actions involved large volumes of pricey lawyers beating the legal snot out of individuals in court. You can still probably find vestiges of the battles today, though they were largely conducted on usenet discussion groups. I've heard of this site: www.factnet.org as being one of those still fighting the good fight.

Isolde212 said:
Thanks.....seems like a whole lot of BS to me.
Well, a good Scientologist would probably snap back that Christianity sounds like a whole lot of BS. Where's Anaka? Maybe he's got some spare change...

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't quite understand where you stand on this topic, Jmervyn....

Scientology; I don't know, but I think I'm with Isolde on this one.....

I think that "club" is just set up to make ridiculous amounts of cash off of "lambs that were led astray".

Like Tom Cruise, the poor soul! :D

David.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
DaviddeJong said:
I don't quite understand where you stand on this topic, Jmervyn....
Those cracks about my martyr complex and the "Terrorist Christian" bit? Hope you're being sarcastic, David. Check out that web site I posted if you have any doubts...

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
Those cracks about my martyr complex and the "Terrorist Christian" bit? Hope you're being sarcastic, David. Check out that web site I posted if you have any doubts...
omg he's one of them, they're spying on us

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
Ah, so you're in our "camp" then, that's nice for a change! :p

David.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
omg he's one of them, they're spying on us
You have met the enemy, and we are you. :p Don't tell me you don't know what church steeples are <really> for...

DOC

Off Topic Moderator
Should I be scared?

My brother has one of these churches in austin where he goes to college, he told me once that drunken frat boys love to toss bricks at it.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
watch out for them scientologists, those stunts will only arm them, they'll build a death machine out of bricks and guess what comes then?

no, try again

do I have to spell it out for you? you don't have infinite guesses

that's right

DEATH!!

Anakha1

Banned
jmervyn said:
Well, a good Scientologist would probably snap back that Christianity sounds like a whole lot of BS. Where's Anaka? Maybe he's got some spare change...
Ironically I was just thinking that when I read your post. I don't see any difference between a guy who started a religion in the 1950s and a guy who started a religion in the 0020s. Lots of people laughed at the latter at the time, too.

I find it ironic and extremely telling that the people who gripe at me the most for not letting people live in their respective beliefs are the first ones to label this one belief BS.

Isolde212

Banned
Anakha1 said:
Ironically I was just thinking that when I read your post. I don't see any difference between a guy who started a religion in the 1950s and a guy who started a religion in the 0020s. Lots of people laughed at the latter at the time, too.

I find it ironic and extremely telling that the people who gripe at me the most for not letting people live in their respective beliefs are the first ones to label this one belief BS.

As you are entitled to your opinion about Christianity I am also entitled to mine about this. You'd be the first one of us on a Christianity thread spouting against it. I would never try to shove my Christianity down peoples throats, you shovel your hatred for organized religion to anyone passing by. I am tolerent of everyone, you are tolerant of nothing but what you believe in my opinion. Let's not take our personal arguments into the forum shall we?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
As you are entitled to your opinion about Christianity I am also entitled to mine about this. You'd be the first one of us on a Christianity thread spouting against it. I would never try to shove my Christianity down peoples throats, you shovel your hatred for organized religion to anyone passing by. I am tolerent of everyone, you are tolerant of nothing but what you believe in my opinion. Let's not take our personal arguments into the forum shall we?
<<Kisses Isolde on both cheeks & runs>>

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive devoted my life to hurting the feelings and anything else I can hurt of scientologists.

Hubbard tried to take over moracco once. What a ****ing idiot.

Watch Tom Cruise get squirted in the face with a microphone, hes such a tool. "youre a jerk... you---youre a jerk.... youre a jerk"

I would have followed up the squirting microphone with a squirting nose. His. Squirting after I punch the crap out of it.

I like this quote from wikipedia:
Those that reach the higher teachings (OT III) within the Church of Scientology will learn all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted "thetans" or alien spirits, in earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75 million years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits. The cost of reaching OT III approaches $360,000.
So, these aliens came to earth, lived in volcanoes, but they escaped and now live in humans. Oh, and thats $360,000 please.
Now, how can they justify this amount of money since they are officially a non-profit organisation?
Anyway, how people actually beleive and accept the teachings from this celebrithy endorsed cult is beyond me.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Dutchman said:
Careful, Anakakakakakakaka is one of of us Canucks who is armed.

Dutch
Armed? I'd hope so. Have a hard time doing just about anything if he was armless.

Oohh - you meant one of these, or these, or these! Since I'm so near NYC, I can't legally posess all of those (specific items) to help defend myself against the marauding street thugs I live amongst.