This whole scientology thing...what the heck is it?

Isolde212

Banned
This whole scientology thing...what the heck is it?

With this whole Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes thing in the media I keep hearing more and more about his religious background of Scientology. I tried to google it but any site that I found wasn't really specific. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm not looking to convert by all means I am just curious to find what it's all about since it seems to get a lot of negative media attention.

Isolde212

Banned
PyroStock said:
This site is a little bias, ;) but it's straight from the horse's mouth...
http://www.scientology.com/

I looked at this site and never really felt like I got clear concise answers to the questions that I had. I got that they were trying to sell a book. That was plainly obvious but it seems like you have to buy the book to get the information you want to know.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
I looked at this site and never really felt like I got clear concise answers to the questions that I had. I got that they were trying to sell a book. That was plainly obvious but it seems like you have to buy the book to get the information you want to know.
yeah, that's basically scientology. sounds like you get it.

Isolde212

Banned
You've gotta be kidding right?

"Those that reach the higher teachings (OT III) within the Church of Scientology will learn all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted "thetans" or alien spirits, in earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75 million years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits. The cost of reaching OT III approaches $360,000."

Thanks.....seems like a whole lot of BS to me.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
You've gotta be kidding right?

"Those that reach the higher teachings (OT III) within the Church of Scientology will learn all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted "thetans" or alien spirits, in earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75 million years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits. The cost of reaching OT III approaches $360,000."

Thanks.....seems like a whole lot of BS to me.
sounds like an expensive book...I'd try amazon first

PyroStock

Diabloii.Net Member
Isolde212 said:
I actually went to a scientology thing for a friend and that's what it felt like. Their sessions (classes) seemed to be to just teach how to think about things differently - for example rather than verbally explain something they requested me to do display it with wooden blocks.... Which might be fine for a highschool dropout, but I found it incredibly boring. :yawn: Later more advanced classes, books, etc costed $$$ and they have scientology cruises and such too... more $$$. It was a California branch in a main city so I expected to see more, but frankly, I wasn't impressed.

From their website, this probably comes closest...
The Scientology religion is about the individual man or woman. Its goal is to bring an individual to a sufficient understanding of himself and his life and free him to make improvements where he finds them necessary and in the ways he sees fit.
Which is nice and vague, but probably still not as specific as you want. As mentioned, they really didn't seem interested in me as an individual, rather like I was #3030135 to do their evaluation test and some sessions for free. Nice people tho.

And as a "religion", they are free from the tax man.

:lol: Now that would have been an entertaining session! :lol:

Ron Hubbard is the founder of scientology. His son quotes him as saying, "If you want to make money, start a religion." That just about sums it up.

Or you can check out these two: [link] [link].

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I saw their compound thingamajig walking around in Hollywood, the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre

sounds like a classy joint :uhhuh:

I hate all this liberalism individual crap, sounds like epicureanism to me

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

Speaking of Scientology .... today I read an item in the newspaper that Scarlett Johansen has turned down the lead female roll in Mission Impossible III because Tom Cruise was pressuring her to join the Church of Scientology.

Regards
Syxx

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
Madness : The Hubologists are based on Scientologists. If you made it as far as the Hubologist headquarters in San Fran, you may remember an 'inspirational talk' given by two special celebrity guests, including one 'Juan Cruz'.