Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

this TOTALLY freaked me out.. please read...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by muteownz, Mar 6, 2004.

1. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

this TOTALLY freaked me out.. please read...

i was in a duel game just dueling. and there was this barb in there... and all of a sudden he had text over him.. kinda like a virus count up saying DUPING 10% 20% etc in like rainbowish colors then all of a sudden.. he started dropping meph stones.. and from what i know u can only hold one.. and i swear to you there were at least 8 on the ground before i left. i freaked out. HOW did he do that? i think he proved duping is that easy i guess. i cant explain it.... i should have taken a screenshot but i was really in shock i just left as fast as i could.

2. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

I have no idea of what happened in there, and it was certainly not a bad idea to leave asap.

But if the guy dupes only Meph stones, he is not about to get rich... ahr ahr ahr!

3. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I think there have been posts made on this before, so i'll just sum up what I have read.

There exist many flaws in the game that malicious users take advantage of. As you might know, diablo 2 and battle.net run together through the use of packet-sending and packet-recieving. For example, whenever you click a location to move to, a packet is sent to battle.net and you move.

Hackers, as they are named nowadays, have figured out exactly how this packet system works. They are able to hack into the battle.net system and "spoof" packets. They can use a third-party program to send the packets manually, without actually being in the game. This led to the one of the first, most accurate, but most detectable botting methods.

Now that you have some history on packets, let me explain to you how the so-called "Mephisto Soulstone Dupe" works. Remember that if you ever (legitimately) lose your soulstone, cain will always provide another. This operation is run by packets. Each time you talk to cain in act 4, packets are used to check if there already is a soulstone in the inventory. If there is not one, cain hand's over the soulstone, and if a soulstone already exists he does not.

This is where hackers take their mark. The hackers block the packet that checks to see if the inventory contains the soulstone. And because the game knows no better, cain hands over the soulstone whether you have one or not. This process continues, probably it is controlled by another third-party program, and the so called "duper" has an inventory full of the soulstones.

So you see, the so called duping process (though it is truly not) only works on soulstones. When the "duper" asks you to hand over items, he will not be able to dupe them, and will run off into the sunset. I'm not sure, but I have heard of something like this being used for Malah's Resistance Scrolls. Never trust a duper, whether he dupes soulstones or shakos, IMO they aren't worth your time.

As for the text above head trick. I'm not sure if it runs off packets, or off a standalone program. Whatever you see above the player's head is just being said over and over with a slight change each time. Imagine a flip-book animation, when you turn the pages, it gives the illusion of being animated. The "duping" animation is just created for looks, it probably does nothing.

If you read nothing but this last line, don't trust dupers/scammers/hackers.

4. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

So you are saying that duping is not posible on b.net and all items have unique fingerprints (one of a kind on that realm) ?

5. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

Precisely. And i will say more: Blizzard has a very "aggressive stance against cheating on Battle.net"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. ScruffyhawkIII

ScruffyhawkIII IncGamers Member

uh..sorry..but your perfectly capable of getting up to three soulstones in your inventory at once..just dont drop them at all and cain will put one in your inventory at the hellforge quest

theres no hacking involved in this lol, and hes dumb if he was duping soulstones, why wasnt he duping windofrces? hes most likely full of it

7. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Cain will only place one in your inventory if you do not have a soulstone for that difficulty. The maximum number of soulstones you can have legitimately is 3 - one for each difficulty. The original poster said at least eight were on the ground. As I explained, the method used can only dupe soulstones. Infact, i would not even call it a method, it's only the exploitation of a bug.

8. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

even so... the other 2 would have been red. keep in mind i saw at least 8 gold letter soulstones on the ground. i dunno it just freaked me out. i thought maybe it was some dude i beat and he got mad. i'm not the type that wins and brags about it. cus i dont win to offen :X

9. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Duping is still possible anyhow. In a perfect world, it wouldn't. -_-

10. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Is this true? because i am not convinced in it.

11. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

There are laughing smiles at the end of that post for a reason, sir.

12. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

Expect some people to have an inventory full of Anni's and Gheeds soon :lol: