Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

This time around I don't think the Diablo we get will be the one we want.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by StreetShark, Jul 2, 2008.

1. StreetShark

StreetShark IncGamers Member

This time around I don't think the Diablo we get will be the one we want.

It seems like many quotes in these developer interviews are showing the true creative focus behind the game, catering to a large amount of people and making Diablo it much more story driven which will make the game smaller in scale.

The most surprising quote I read today was this by Lead World Designer Boyarsky, "People are ready for us to take Diablo III to new places rather than make Diablo all over again."

Since when do we want something different than the Diablo we love? What is this guy talking about. It scares me that the lead world designer for the game never even played Diablo growing up. Why in the F would you have people working on the Diablo game who never played it, and some that admitted they didn't originally like the game, I mean wth. I want the guy who spent his childhood playing Diablo 8 hours a day working on Diablo 3 because he's now a programmer but also a gamer and artist.

Witchdoctor type characters more than half the playerbase adamantly doesn't want? No Thanks

Not being able to trade anymore because we can only pickup item types of our character class? No Thanks

Artwork in the style more suitable to warcraft than Diablo? No Thanks

Head Designer Jay Wilson said this when asked a question about the game being similiar to WoW

"Kotaku: In the demo you showed during the Opening Ceremony, you gave us a glimpse at the Witch Doctor class which seems to use several spells similar to those found in World of Warcraft. Do you worry that some fans will think you’re just copying aspects of WoW?

Jay Wilson: No. Do I think people will say that? Yes, I think they will. One of the things I like to remind people is that it’s okay to steal from ourselves. A good idea is a good idea and a good skill is a good skill and so when we look across all our games we borrow from each other all of the time."

So they are copying many elements from WoW into Diablo3, Jay just admitted it. Jay then goes on to say if they alienate a portion of the playerbase due to it being similiar to WoW, they will make it up in the people who will see "warrior" and compare it to WoW and want to play Diablo. He's basically giving the middle finger to oldschool diablo players if they can get the WoW crowd

Alot of people are saying this game has at least one and a half years, but if you read these interviews, you'd see that they are done with the story. It's done, over. They've got their characters set in stone, and everything written out. I wouldn't be surprised if the game hits beta by next February if not Christmas.

2. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Re: This time around I don't think the Diablo we get will be the one we want.

Hmmmmmm.Ok. Bye.

3. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

When D2 came out, not everyone was happy. What's going to change?

4. etslayer

etslayer Banned

"Witchdoctor type characters more than half the playerbase adamantly doesn't want? No Thanks"

How do you know that half the playerbase does not want the witch doctor? If you are basing that assumption on what people on this forum say, you should realize that only a tiny percent of the diablo fanbase goes on forums. And even in this forum not everyone is against the witch doctor. Please don't make such rash statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

"Not being able to trade anymore because we can only pickup item types of our character class? No Thanks"

Nobody ever said you can only pick up item types that belong to your type of character class. All we know about the dropping system is that what you see on your screen belongs to you. They never said barbs can only find barb items. And even if that were true (which it's almost definitly not), why would that mean you wouldn't be able to trade? I really don't understand why you would say that.

I think you should relax and not worry so much. I too am an old-school junky. I want all the elements that made the previous diablo games unique to stay in the game. And frankley, aside from a few asthetic issues, I think it's sounding pretty good. The developers have stressed fast paced gameplay, they have clearly stated that storyline will not slow the pace because they are letting the visuals tell the story.

As far as "coppying many elements from WoW"... how can you expect them not to take things from their own game which is much more technically advanced than D2? And just because they are using WoW concepts doesn't mean it will feel like WoW. WoW was 3D. Diablo3 is 3D. Will it feel like WoW just because its 3D? Also, the World in WoW was gigantic, but the Blizzard has stated that D3 will be about the same size as D2. So right there we know it's not gonna be a WoW clone.

So far, I think the most important elements that make diablo fun have been brought back. Tons of loot, fast paced gameplay, tons of monsters on-screen. It will be good.

5. prion

prion IncGamers Member

the quote i have seen in more than one place: "we want to make a great ARPG." (paraphrased)

if that is their whole mission and they can really stick to it, then D3 will definitely be good.

6. ask_dk

ask_dk IncGamers Member

Come on, the game isnt even finished yet and youre allready complaining about it:scratchchin:
    If you dont like the final product then dont play, its as simple as that and if you like d2 more with hacks/dupes/cheats etc then be my guest and keep playing that, thank you!!

7. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted IncGamers Member

/facepalm.

8. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

"People are ready for us to take Diablo III to new places rather than make Diablo all over again."

What the hell is wrong with that?

The didn't take Diablo to new places with Diabo 2? Of course they did! By no means do I consider Diablo 2 a 'remake' of Diablo, and I expect only more of the best for D3.

As for stealing from WoW. Half the stuff in World of Warcraft is due to the Diablo franchise. Spells, systems, basic concepts, all begun when Diablo first launched. Who stole from who?

I understand that Diablo 2 has been a huge thing for so many people over the last few years, and they don't want to see it go down the gurgerler.
    So far, Blizzard have not let us down, and have an amazing track record. I think we all just need to exercise a little faith and, dare I say it, even a little constructive criticism. Let 'new places' be a positive and exciting thing.

Trust Blizz. They've kept us going for 12 years! We owe them that much.

9. CombatShrine

CombatShrine Banned

i dont see why there is so much hate for the witch doctor.

it depends on the skills he has. I wasnt too impressed with the ones featured, but hey, if he has corpse explosion, i'm game.

the barbarian looks disgusting though. that blue charge attack he has looked dope.

10. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

There is just so much fail in the original post i honestly do not know where i would start.

11. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Facepalm indeed.

Ok, so if you don't like the game so much, when it comes out and your at your local gamestop or walmart; instead if picking up D3 pick up hello kitty instead. You'll like that.

As for people complaining about the witch doctor, We are going to be experiencing new area's to the world. So of course there are people that do different professions than what we are use to. And don't worry, you'll like the witch doctor. Blizzard always makes their classes in any game likable by the masses(you).

12. Bertis

Bertis IncGamers Member

I really don't understand anything of what the OP is saying. I was a hardcore Diablo and Diablo 2 fan and before the announcement of Diablo 3 I was quite worried they were going to go in the wrong direction with the game.

But I kept my faith and when I saw the gameplay footage it surpassed my expectations. I've watched it through about four times now and it seems to get better each time I watch it.

All I thought I wanted was a Diablo 2 with better graphics, but looking at the advances they've made on the previous game already, it's obvious to me they know what they're doing and i'm so glad they didn't just make Diablo 2 again.

On top of that, after watching all of the WWI developer panels, the designers didn't say one single thing that upset me about their decisions on the game. They know how careful they have to be in terms of making a worthy addition to the series... that's why it took them 7 years just to show us a preview.

13. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I feel almost the exact same way. Well put.

14. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Of course it will not be exactly what you want, since you are not making the game. This is always the case. Posts like this were all over the forums during the Diablo2 development. And if there had been a community during the Diablo1 development, there would also be people who wanted things differently then.

That doesn't mean that the game will not be a big success. I'm positive that it will be, from what I have seen.

15. YSM

YSM Banned

The number of people who are unhappy.

16. YSM

YSM Banned

Yeah, and?

What are we supposed to do: Wait for the game to hit the shelves, then complain to Blizzard to change the direction they've took the franchise? This is the best time to tell Blizzard exactly what we want. (It's too bad they kept it under wraps for four years.) They're creating this game for the paying customer (us), and if we don't like it, then we won't buy it; in other words, Blizzard needs to start listening.

17. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

They MIGHT take realistic suggestions into account.
    But just look at Bnet's suggestion forum, its 3/4 filled with D3 rants.

18. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Failed.

They specifically said the story content doesn't get in your way if you don't want to. And talked about the non-verbal atmosphere building, which is priceless to any game, IMO.

If you don't want any changes, go play D2 :) I want a true sequel, not a remake. As far as I'm concerned, they're really kept a lot features in; isometric view, keeping it ARPG instead of MMO or something and so on. Maybe they even kept too much, that's my only concern.

But with this many people it's impossible to please everyone. When you bow to someone you're always mooning to someone else.

19. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

I stopped viewing B.net forums as soon as I signed up for another account @ diii.net.

Too many silly kids and spammers...

20. CarsV

CarsV Banned

So you're saying you just want more Diablo 2? I don't know about you, but I didn't wait 8-10 years to play Diablo 2.5. I'm ready for some refreshing additions to the Diablo games, some innovation, etc..