This sounds familiar

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
This sounds familiar

(...)three years into the war US intelligence was inept in not being able to even detect a national uprising, that the scale of the offensive showed that the insurgency had not been defeated by the introduction of hundreds of thousands of soldiers from the US, and that those supporting the war could not credibly describe a strategy for victory. Rather than offering a hope for success, many supporters of the war fell back on patriotic arguments and the idea that the war had to continue on in its current form forever because a lack of success was better than an admission of failure.
If you thought this was talking about the Iraq War, you'd be wrong.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
You know, I do think this might be the worst thread in the history of the OTF. This is saying a lot when the Fat People thread is still on the front page.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Blade might be, in some way, referring to the late confession by Bush that the war in Iraq is comparable with the one waged at the time past in Vietnam. Then again, if he was, I couldn't make out the point of the post.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
It is indeed a pretty lousy thread. Hijack time!

When swimming, do you wear speedos or board shorts?

Bortaz

Banned
Wetsuit. I don't swim, I dive.

(By the way, Wildberry, he wasn't comparing it to the entire war, just the Tet Offensive...which was actually a comparison made my someone else, about which Bush was asked, and agreed)

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
It is indeed a pretty lousy thread. Hijack time!

When swimming, do you wear speedos or board shorts?
Psh. Real men skip the speedos. Better ways to show what you've got.

That said, I don't go swimming, I sink like a rock.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
That would depend on your ability to willingly look foolish.
It'd also be tied to the amount of hair on your body (not including head).
Nah, I've got Scottish Highlander legs and I still wear speedos.

What if I have Speedo brand board shorts?
If it doesn't ride up your butt it doesn't count.

EDIT: Is anyone else considering the best way to abuse the new "view post" feature?
First thing I thought of.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
(By the way, Wildberry, he wasn't comparing it to the entire war, just the Tet Offensive...which was actually a comparison made my someone else, about which Bush was asked, and agreed)
I do realise he wasn't making a comprehensive comparison - however, for what I've heard, he hasn't been willing to concede there's any resemblance between the wars before this, and that is why him finding even a partial connection upon question is newsworthy.

Bortaz

Banned
Well, having 2 similar events, for want of a better term, in 2 disparate wars, isn't necessarily conceding that the wars are similar. Vietnam and Iraq are not even close to being the same type of war (and likely, not the same outcome, either).

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Bush's admission of a similarity with Tet was limited to the fact that that was a watershed of American public opinion (or so legend has it). I think if there is any strategy behind it, it's merely that they are gearing up to blame their failure in Iraq on those goddamn hippy leftie commies, like they blamed Vietnam on them.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, having 2 similar events, for want of a better term, in 2 disparate wars, isn't necessarily conceding that the wars are similar. Vietnam and Iraq are not even close to being the same type of war (and likely, not the same outcome, either).
As dondrei mentioned, the similiarity is based on the resemblance between back-then and current public opinions. Conceding that it's not popular is quite something from him, because, you know, it takes backbone to say you're not perpetually right (albeit admittedly he is only saying, in a sense, that a lot of people disagree with him).

However, if you have the exact sentence of Bush somewhere written down, I would very much like to read it, so I don't talk rubbish.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Here:

article said:
President Bush said in a one-on-one interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos that a newspaper column comparing the current fighting in Iraq to the 1968 Tet offensive in Vietnam, which was widely seen as the turning point in that war, might be accurate.

Stephanopoulos asked whether the president agreed with the opinion of columnist Tom Friedman, who wrote in The New York Times today that the situation in Iraq may be equivalent to the Tet offensive in Vietnam almost 40 years ago.

"He could be right," the president said, before adding, "There's certainly a stepped-up level of violence, and we're heading into an election."

"George, my gut tells me that they have all along been trying to inflict enough damage that we'd leave," Bush said. "And the leaders of al Qaeda have made that very clear. Look, here's how I view it. First of all, al Qaeda is still very active in Iraq. They are dangerous. They are lethal. They are trying to not only kill American troops, but they're trying to foment sectarian violence. They believe that if they can create enough chaos, the American people will grow sick and tired of the Iraqi effort and will cause government to withdraw."

Bush said he could not imagine any circumstances under which all U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Iraq before the end of his presidency.

"You mean every single troop out? No," he told Stephanopoulos.

Bush also had some tough words for Democrats, saying that pulling troops from Iraq would be the equivalent of surrender.

"If we were to leave before the job is done, in my judgment, the al Qaeda would find a safe haven from which to attack. This is exactly what they said," Bush said. The president insisted he was not disparaging his opponents.

"It's not questioning their patriotism. I think it's questioning their judgment," he said.

When asked whether the midterm elections are a referendum on Iraq, the President replied, "I think they're a referendum, from my perspective, which is kind of like your perspective, which is the Washington perspective, based upon: who best to secure this country from further attack and who best to help this economy continue to grow. The truth of the matter is, as you well know, most elections are very local elections. Sometimes those issues are salient, but sometimes there's other issues at the local level as well."

"I'm not on the ballot," Bush said. "This set of elections is much different from a presidential election year."
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2583579

That seems to be all there is of it. I included some other stuff because it's amusing. I underlined a section that really shows off his legendary rhetorical skills.

I also read while googling that the White House is backpedalling on the statements.

P.S. "safe haven from attack"... LOL, you mean like Afghanistan and the Pakistani border?