Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

This may sound dumb but.......

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Blades, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Blades

Blades IncGamers Member

This may sound dumb but.......

Every time i go into a trade i find ppl asking for 290s what the heck is a 290?

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

AFAIK that's a (duped) 290 poison dmg small charm.

3. Saidinhc

Saidinhc Spirit of Wars Guildmaster

why would you assume its duped?

AFAIK duping is still on the very very low down-lo.. To give b.net the benefit of the doubt, rust storm is still in effect.. (except for those few times in the past of the rash of rune duping) Just using the trade economy as an example, there hasn't been any rampant duping because things still have value.

290's drop from baal only i belive.. baal or diablo.. so with enough perfect gems its assumed that you too could cube your own 290.

edit: 290's have a pretty large trade value, again pointing to the fact that there are less if no dupes.

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I expect that if it has value in trades, it's going to get/be duped. And lose its value afterwards...

What affixes does it have? for Pestilent you do need to have high Ilvl charms, so baal and such are your only option.

5. puckalicious

puckalicious IncGamers Member

Trust me all 290's are duped. When you see a guy on bnet with 40 x 290's they are not legit. That is why they are not allowed for trading on these forums.

6. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

all = 99.9999% :D

7. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

290 is a duped currency. It can not drop. Cubing a baal sc can produce one (only)

8. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

yes they can be dropped. baal is one of the monsters that can drop it... why else would you be able to cube it from him?

They are 99.9% dupes off ladder, and I'm guessin 75% on. But who knows except the dupers themselves I guess :uhhuh:

---fatty

9. death_toll

death_toll IncGamers Member

can someone please explain "cubing" to me?

Also, if they are duped why are they so used?

10. Saidinhc

I've never seen 290's used as currency.

Are we talking about ladder?

I'm on east. Have they perfected a way of duping on the other realms? and it simply hasn't hit east?

I've NEVER seen someone offer 40 290's.

I've gotten plenty of small, large and grand charms off of baal, but I've never bothered to gather the huge ammount of gems it takes to get lucky to cube one.

I refuse to think that LADDER 290's are duped. If they were in such abundance than the trade channel on b.net would be spammed with people offering 290's for items. (yet this is not the case).

To answer the question about cubing. cubing items means to re-roll their affixes by using various cube formulas. The one in this case is cubing charms by using 3 perfect gems + charm = new charm with new random affixes.

The guy who thinks that 290's do not drop is not an accurate statement, baal and diablo can drop 290's. and the small charms they drop can be cubed to 290's (as already stated)

11. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I think they're refering to non-ladder only in this thread. now that I've got some sleep (was kinda on a weird insomniac posting spree this morning) I agree, 290's are duped on ladder... at least not yet on ladder west. Off ladder tho, they're duped a ton.

--fatty

12. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

I'm also pretty sure that they aren't being duped anymore... that they were duped in 1.09, which is why we're talking about nonladder.

On nonladder, the only things accepted in trades that don't involve high runes or 290s are extremely rare uniques or 3/20/20s, meaning any average or moderately rich player can't participate. Its so damn sad.

13. Saidinhc

make up a couple of forge runners.. if you get lucky and get something like an ist or a mal you can work your way up.

I don't have any of those extremely hard uniques to find, but i've managed to work my way up the price lists using the mid level runes and some common widely used uniques.

14. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I found a 251 (I believe that's the number, I'd have to check to be sure though) Small Poison Charm from cows once in 1.09. Rather suprised me at the time.

Edit: Yes, it is a 251, just checked.

15. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

The best I have found is a 207 psc. I dont know about ladder but most of 290 were duped on none ladder pre 1.10 that's a certainty. On ladder I very much doubt those charms drop by the score, even getting on is almost a miracle.

16. Solidus_Snake

Solidus_Snake IncGamers Member

is baal the only one who can drop a 290? half the ppl in this thread say baal and diablo and the other half say only baal....

17. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

actually, 290s cannot spawn in 1.10 -- there was a display bug that topped out the duration of the poison at 255 frames. Any Toxic small charm of Anthrax that drops now would be 313 damage over 11 seconds, I believe. Actually, it always did -- just displayed incorrectly.

In 1.09, IIRC, just about any lvl 90 critter could drop a 290, including cows. I have no idea who can now. the real heavy hitter prefix is Pestilent, which, I believe, can only spawn from Nilhithak or Baal. Pestilent SC of Anthrax now gets you 451 over 12 seconds. (edit: due to display bug in 1.09 it came out as 383 over 10 seconds. this was also used as "currency")

and getting back on topic, I am not 100% sure that they were actually duped. I seem to recall they were "worth" 2x3/20/20 (which were almost certainly duped) in the channels. But statistically speaking, a 3/20/20 was significantly more rare than a toxic SC of anthrax. According to a calculator (disclaimer: no guarantee that it is accurate for either 1.09 or 1.10) toxic SC of anthrax would drop 1/33397 of the time, given a Baal SC drop, while a fine SC of vita would drop 1/2088 of the time. Given that the mods on the latter are random, only 1 of 198 of a fine SC of vita would spawn 3/20/20, making the total odds of one dropping 1/413,424, making it over 12 times as rare as a toxic SC of anthrax. (edit: if looking at cow droppings, then odds would be slightly better for both of these, since you would cut out the super high level prefixes)

I do not doubt that 3/20/20s were duped/hacked, but i think it is possible that 290s were not, since otherwise I would not have expected them to hold relative value.

Edit: I was always very proud of my 1.09 383 LC that I found from Nihlithak. Still have it, somewhere. Stupid mules.

18. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Toxic only requires an alvl of 63, which on SCs means an ilvl of 77. Most monsters in Hell can drop those in either 1.09 or 1.10.

Pestilent requires an alvl of **, which on SCs means an ilvl of 94. In 1.09, that was only Nihlathak and Baal. In 1.10, it is Nihlathak, Diablo and Baal.

[edit] And just for clarity, ought to mention that "of Anthrax" is alvl 44 => ilvl 58 and can drop anywhere in Hell and Act 5 NM.

Also, just to give an exhaustive list of the best poison SCs...

Pestilent/Anthrax 451/12 (383/10 in 1.09)
    Pestilent/Pestilence 377/11 (350/10 in 1.09)
    Pestilent/Venom 330/10
    Pestilent/Blight 281/9

Toxic/Anthrax 313/11 (290/10 in 1.09)
    Toxic/Pestilence 251/10
    Toxic/Venom 214/9

Foul/Anthrax 208/10

19. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

It wasn't a display bug, the duration cap really was 255 frames for one item (sockets are counted seperately). IIRC it's set to 511 frames now.

20. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

thanks for the clarification RTB. man, I HAVE to stop believing everything i read on this site...