Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

This is one american tradition I can do without

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Johnny, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Johnny

Johnny Banned

This is one american tradition I can do without

So around easter here in Sweden we have a tradition where kids dress up. Make homemade easter greeting cards then walk door to door and hand them out. Often reciving candy in return. This tradition has been losing popularity lately amoung kids to the american tradition of dressing up and demanding candy under threats of punishments to those who don't give out candy.

I can certainly see how this is more appealing. Instead of having make and hand out something in exchange for candy you just go "candy. Or else!" A bit one sided perhaps and I have to say. Not a huge fan of the theme.

What has made it even worse here is the mix up between halloween and our tradition "All Saints day" which is a day to go place candles at the graves of our deceased loved ones and remember them. It's said that it's the one day of the year where the spirits of the dead can come visit their families

Halloween on the other hand is about scaring away evil spirits which makes for an even worse combination when the two get mixed up by ignorant adults and their greedy little kids.

So yeah. Over there: Much cherished tradition I'm sure and if I ever came to visit I would respect it, but over here. Not so welcome.

2. KremBanan

KremBanan Diabloii.Net Member

Re: This is one american tradition I can do without

I normally agree with your opinions and this is also one of those opinions I agree on.

3. WildBerry

WildBerry Diabloii.Net Member

I have no great antipathy in person towards the feast, imported as it is, as it shares some traits with the Finnish pagan harvest festival kekri. I still don't personally like it, and when given the chance, avert people who celebrate it, partially due to similiar feeling that the festival doesn't really belong and fails to fit the culture.

However, when kids get excited about something, they're just as cute as witches on Easter as they are as witches on All Hallow's Eve. At the school where I teach, one of the teachers had dressed up whole of her class and went around the school trick or treating everyone, including the headmaster, and when on my way to the headmaster, I was assaulted by the group of ghouls and goblins who wouldn't let me go and who were all taken by my mock fearfulness and yells of needing to flee their terror to the headmaster. If it makes other people that happy, who am I to deny them? Let them have their excuse for celebrating, God knows we have few enough real reasons to.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

The problem comes when they drop burning papper down my mailbox because I didn't give them any candy and I'm forced to break out the Spyder RS.

Unless I catch them in the act. Then i just use an aerosol can to spray deoderant up the mailbox as they are about to drop down the burning papper.

5. Phat Wolf

Phat Wolf Diabloii.Net Member

That's a funny thing because I know exactly what you mean Johnny, I still have a few friends from my old schools who would actually go around egging people's houses who refused to hand out candy to them. I never liked that since they weren't even small kids anymore and vandalising is just wrong, especially for stupid reasons. But personally I don't mind them dressing up and stuff, I like the parties.

6. KremBanan

Valentines Day is another tradition I can live without. Both Halloween and Valentines Day have been "imported" here by the stores and companies and have become days where you have to buy crap for the kids and girlfriends. Very annoying. This also goes for christmas, but hey, its christmas.

7. Kennoth

Kennoth Banned

Well, Christmas isn't that imported, but I agree on Valentines and Halloween

8. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Also, there seems to be a mix-up of all traditions. I got visited by a pack of ghouls and witches today, greeting me with a homemade card and a "Happy Halloween!"

But as you said, all this.. lets call it blackmail? I'm not very fond of it. Just because we don't keep candy at home, why punish us?
    Friendly traditions are okay though, and innocent.

9. Ludacris

Ludacris Banned

We don't normally celebrate halloween here in Holland, except for the occasional Halloween party which basicly is an excuse to drink.

Oh no, we usually get kids who sing a weird song about a saint Maarten and demand candy. Awesome.

10. Akira

Akira Member

So is there some bleedover into the 1st in your area? I don't know if the date is different but last I checked all saint's day was the day after halloween, also known as november 1st. Do people just think halloween is 2 days long over there? I'm having a hard time imaging how people could get the two confused but I guess I also don't have to put up with it like you do.

11. KremBanan

Well, americans open their chrismas presents the 25.dec and not the 24.dec when it should be. So if swedes celebrate halloween the 1.nov, you really have no saying on the matter :smug:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

We don't celebrate halloween at all so when people hear about it they assume that it's the american version of "all saints day" instead of "all hallows eve"

All saints day is is very revered here but we put very little emphasis on all hallows eve. Americans do it vice versa so people here mix them up so while the rest of the population goes to decorate some grave stones to pay their respects to the fallen, then a small minority dresses up for some highly commercialized hollywood style horror theme with scary movies and begging for candy when the two days are not related at all and "trick or treat" is viewed as a very selfish corruption of the easter tradition which is then also done on this most holy of days.

13. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

Luckily we only had two "trick or treat"'ers last night, but over the last few years we averaged a half a dozen. Everyone is exceedingly pissed to when I tell them "This is Australia, we don't 'trick or treat' here." Last year the father of one the kids came to the door last year to give me an earful for not giving his kids "candy". In some ways I blame the supermarkets, they are full of lollies wrapped in in Halloween wrappers and Jack-o-lantern buckets to carry them in. If you want to hold a Halloween party for your kids, fine, but don't take them around the streets demanding lollies with menace.

14. trashX

trashX Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC we should open our presents on the 6.Dec, honouring the day the original "Santa" Saint Nicholas died

15. WildBerry

WildBerry Diabloii.Net Member

One less holiday to scratch off the Finnish Day of Independence off the calendar? Nevah!

16. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

Why Johnny, I didn't know you were such a stickler for Catholic traditions.

Perhaps you should point your fingers at the Roman Catholic Church for moving All Saints Day from May 13th to November 1st in the ninth century (in order to appease the Celtic followers of the ancient Samhain Festival) for the mix-up.

17. Johnny

Johnny Banned

This isn't about catholic traditions. It's about a national tradition.

18. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

Nevermind its origin 'eh?

Okey-dokey

19. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Speaking of origin. What the **** does santa and eating pork have to do with celebrating the departure of a jewish carpenter?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  20. trashX

trashX Diabloii.Net Member

saint nicholas gave a whore a bag of coins on christmas-->santa
    maybe she went and had a nice dinner withthe money-->pork

:jig: