this is...(moderator plz read)

Kazuya

Diabloii.Net Member
this is...(moderator plz read)

Im in gr 11 right now and ive got decent marks but nothing outstanding, i need to get a scholarship to keep going and the university i am aiming for needs around 91% in the academics in grade 12. I know i can get easily above 91 as i did a test on myself last symester i tried as hard as my lazy self could do in chemistry and pulled a 94% its just im too bored to study/do hw... half the stuff in english i write as i walk to school or such, its pathetic i spend about 5 minutes a week on homework, right now im averaging around 82-84% in all my academics but i need to boost it up

EVERYTIME i try to even attempt to study i get sidetracked, (no i dont have a.d.d) i talk to people on msn, go download music, or go to diabloii.net... i figure right now im spending about 2 hours a week on diabloii.net so here is where my question comes in. I know about 3 weeks ago i made a post saying how do you do quality studying? well i didnt end up getting around to study for my math/chem/biology/socials exam so i did pretty bad, respectively 80/86/78/82.. which is FAR from being even remotely close to potentially getting a scholarship, i know i have no one to blame but myself for my lack of work but im trying to work myself towards the point. The whole place where i should be doing homework is in the den (where the computer is) i figure i spend maybe 1-2 hours a week on diabloii.net when i could be studying and probably boosting each academic by 5% or so which would bring me closer to my goal. I cant help myself getting bored so i usually come onto this site...

Is there anyway so my ip can get banned from this site without going all gung-ho racist and such? can moderators ban my ip from entering diabloii.net? Maybe that way i wont waste my time and im hoping it might help me study easier, i guess what im asking for is if it is possible for the OT moderator to ban me from the forum + hopefully the site (if possible)? It will suck the first few days (although i didnt post much) because its something to do and some of the posts are fun and interesting =) but if you could do this it will probably help me out in the long run.. Thanks and Bye

th5418

Banned
Uhh, you can always just....cancel your internet service eh? Or go to the library. :O :surprise:

I remember someone made a post about this subject and asked what the mods would do and if I remember correctly they both said they wouldn't. I know for a fact freet said he wouldn't but I'm not sure about gaile.

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
Move the computer from the room...pull the phone line form the computer...ect.

But they don't ban on request. It's good to know that you are willing to do this to get better grades, though.

Kazuya

Diabloii.Net Member
Canadia142 said:
I remember someone made a post about this subject and asked what the mods would do and if I remember correctly they both said they wouldn't. I know for a fact freet said he wouldn't but I'm not sure about gaile.

oh dang, i was hoping i could go out on a good note, not have to make a fool of myself and force myself get banned =( ill wait for gailes reply i guess, hopefully she reads the boards every now and then...

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
You recognize the problem, and that's the biggest step to take. Now all you need to do is overcome it.

You do realize what's at stake. Is that worth more to you than the companionship on these forums?

Make the decision. Then make yourself live by it. Little steps like "hiding the ethernet cable" can help.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
One more thing: When I absolutely have to get something done offline and I find that I'm getting distracted by the sites I frequent, I erase all the cookies from my browser. That gives me one extra hoop to jump through if I want to go read or post at a site, and usually that extra hoop is enough to make me realize "hey, I need to get this other stuff done first."

* wonders what MixedVariety will do for post 2K *

Devolution

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like a bit of bad idea, I've been in your position alot and honestly what's going to stop you from going to another forum or doing something else altogether?

Realize how much time you wasted thinking about writing this post, then writing it, then waiting for replys, then reading them, then replying, then reading some more...

I can't really offer any advice besides stop whining and worrying about it, just get it out.

Getting started is most of the battle.

toader

Banned
Getting IP banned from diabloii wont solve anything.

The problem comes from within, if not diabloii, then you will just find another site to take its place.

You need to be strong and find some self-control somehow.

Starfishied

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll say that take the phone jack off the wall is the best. Unless you use cable modem, take the cable off the modem. That's how I get my studies done.

Anakha1

Banned
SuggestiveName said:
Two hours a week??? Don't even talk to me, that doesn't even count!!

D2.net is not the problem.

No kidding. I spend more than two hours on the OTF per hour.

This should have been sent to Gaile or Freet as a PM, not as a thread. Yet I don't think they've ever banned someone because they asked them to. It's happened a few times before and they just don't do it as a rule. And for jebus' sakes, get some willpower and get over it. If you can't get yourself away from a forum to study you're not going to survive in university/college anyways.

Kazuya

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
No kidding. I spend more than two hours on the OTF per hour.

This should have been sent to Gaile or Freet as a PM, not as a thread. Yet I don't think they've ever banned someone because they asked them to. It's happened a few times before and they just don't do it as a rule. And for jebus' sakes, get some willpower and get over it. If you can't get yourself away from a forum to study you're not going to survive in university/college anyways.
Its kind of funny how im even replying, i admitted i couldnt get over it anakha, so what is my solution? well duh, ill have to get over it IF i cant go to it correct? I *know* i will do well in university/college but thanks anyways for that extra push in the right direction, seeing as you know me from a personal level right? I know my limits, i know how to divide time up and how to set goals and achieve them. I know how to look at things from a logical perspective, and from my point of view 2 hours a week is over 100 hours a year.. which is over 6000 minutes a year in which i could be doing something constructive. Hell ill take that time anyday please. You cant judge how sucessful a person is by reading a few of their posts every now and then, the internet depicts people as people they aren't.. I don't even know why i post and stuff, there are a few nice people like durf who actually give good solid advice, then there is people like you who just say.. well i quoted you already, you know what you said.

Give me your fax # and 6 years from now ill fax you my bachelor of science degree and throw a few bux in your direction so you can stay a silver pal.

also on a last note: if gaile or freet reads this thread id appreciate if you would make an exception for me, believe me it will be easier on your part to just get it over and done with.

Intolerance

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
If you can't get yourself away from a forum to study you're not going to survive in university/college anyways.
My thoughts exactly.

It isn't easy to develop good study habits. It sounds to me like you need to start by finding a more private study area with fewer (preferably no) distractions.

Anakha1

Banned
Kazuya said:
Its kind of funny how im even replying, i admitted i couldnt get over it anakha, so what is my solution? well duh, ill have to get over it IF i cant go to it correct? I *know* i will do well in university/college but thanks anyways for that extra push in the right direction, seeing as you know me from a personal level right? I know my limits, i know how to divide time up and how to set goals and achieve them. I know how to look at things from a logical perspective, and from my point of view 2 hours a week is over 100 hours a year.. which is over 6000 minutes a year in which i could be doing something constructive. Hell ill take that time anyday please. You cant judge how sucessful a person is by reading a few of their posts every now and then, the internet depicts people as people they aren't.. I don't even know why i post and stuff, there are a few nice people like durf who actually give good solid advice, then there is people like you who just say.. well i quoted you already, you know what you said.
*shrug* I was just pointing out that if you get distracted by a simple forum then you're going to be extra distracted in university or college when the work gets actually challenging. If you know how to set goals and dividie up time then you can alot time for personal enjoyment which can include posting at the OTF. Then there's not much of a problem, is there? It's rather amusing considering I never even said anything to imply that I've judged you, yet you judged me as an unkind person. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but you might want to look up hypocracy before you graduate.

Give me your fax # and 6 years from now ill fax you my bachelor of science degree and throw a few bux in your direction so you can stay a silver pal.
Cute. There's that judging people over the internet thing again. I already have a university degree and well paying job. I don't need your money, thanks.

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
You could always give one of your friends your User ID and password, ask them to log in, change the pass, and give you the new one after you're done with your work.

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
It's actually a funny thing, when you're in highschool my adivce on how to study is simple: turn off your computer unless it is required (for essays and research) and study alone in a familiar room with no distractions. For uni/college, study in a relaxed environment with classmates. That way you won't get frustrated when you can't handle the workload and get stuck on a question. The trick is being able to adjust smoothly, I've seen people go from 94% averages in highschool to a 51% average in first year eng because they couldn't adapt fast enough.

I hate to say it, but getting that 91% to get into your program will probably be the easy part... It's managing your workload, social life, and basic problems of adjusting to 'growing up' that make it hard... and fun.

Chances are your uni will look at your midterm marks which are coming up fast I'm guessing for highschoolers, I strongly suggest you get your *** in gear. No internet, no msn, no forums, no comp, no TV. Just hardcore homework, 6 hours a night. I'm serious, that is the only way you stand a chance at getting close to a high eighty - low ninty percent average for midterms. This is your last chance to make a good impression academically for that uni, unless you are planning on returning for a second year or have a back up uni to go to.

Anakha has some good points, if you don't take this chance you have seriously, and you can't control your addictions, then your not going to make it to where you want to be.

One last thing:
Kazuya said:
I know my limits, i know how to divide time up and how to set goals and achieve them.
Then what's the problem?

Good luck, and don't give in.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Kazuya said:

also on a last note: if gaile or freet reads this thread id appreciate if you would make an exception for me, believe me it will be easier on your part to just get it over and done with.
Well, evidently you're well on the way to getting banned for being a dick :rolleyes:

Anakalaka is right though. For Christ's sake, grow some ****s and just log yourself out. You claim you're so smart and everything, yet you can't keep from visiting a website? Something ain't right here.

PS: Stay away from drugs and alcohol, mkay? If you're this bad with a website, I don't think you'd last long from something really harmful.