Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

This forum site is blocked on school laptop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SpawnOfAsbestos, Dec 2, 2017.

1. SpawnOfAsbestos

SpawnOfAsbestos Diabloii.Net Member

I actually find this very funny.

I wonder why they would block this site. Did they see that I went on it and decided they should block it. I mean. Is one student in a school of 1000 kids enough to block a site.

Tbh, I just find it funny as crap they blocked this.

2. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Unless you were able to access it before on your school computer, then it was blocked through a general filter. Schools often use software which scans a website to see its contents, and react appropriately. For example, in my school websites that had things like "free game downloads" or "hot singles" would immediately report you if you went to them, and they were blocked immediately...

Of course when I was in high school, getting around the filter was easy using a certain program. Teachers weren't happy when I demonstrated the ability to get on game websites right in front of them, and youtube/social media. LOL!

3. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, having been the guy for 17 years that you would have been ticking off, it's thankfully much simpler. Most schools that have competent management sign up for a service which blocks categorically, i.e. "games" "weapons" "gambling" "adult" & so forth. Otherwise the site purveyors can simply change domain & still reach children. Unfortunately that doesn't generally block image search, so you will still get 2nd graders searching for "bewbys".

The ability of a student to use proxies &c. is a sign of incompetent management more than incompetent technicians, since locking down computer configurations isn't rocket science. Then again, I don't have a very high level of respect for the Education industry. A quote from a "Tech Ed" article I read in my 2nd year: "The last technological innovation eagerly embraced by educators was the blackboard".

P.S. talking about haXX0r$ is against the forum rules.

WitchDoctor likes this.
  4. The Silver Shroud

The Silver Shroud Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe cause you're supposed to be in school doing school stuff....and you know... not trolling Internet forums?

5. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

There are times when web filtering is a bad thing. My school's techs really tightened up the filter level, because everyone was using proxies to get around it. A side effect of this was that many educational websites were blocked. My computer teacher was always mad that she had to go down to the techs and explain "X" website has to be unblocked for her class. I showed her an unblockable way to get around it, to relieve the aforementioned nuisance. She made me show the techs and they weren't happy when I explained the steps, how it worked, and the fact that there was almost nothing they could do to prevent it. Since I graduated a few years ago they hired new teachers, so I'm not sure how competent they are. The previous ones only had a vague understanding of IT admin and network security.

Anyhow, it really is of your best interest to focus on your work, regardless of the quality of our educational system. Unless of course they give you a free day...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. SpawnOfAsbestos

SpawnOfAsbestos Diabloii.Net Member

This is probably why
    They blocked a whole bunch of stuff. They used keywords or something. : p

I mostly found it funny.