Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

This car..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by A_S_G, May 19, 2005.

1. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

This car..

My friend is planning on selling his 1991 mustang convertable for $2000, or best offer, so he can buy his neighbors truck. The mustang has about 96,000 miles on it. He said he replaced his alterator about six months ago because he left his lights on, and it got a new batery in it when he bought it (about a year and a half ago). The top has a rip in it, but he plans on fixing/replacing it before he sells it. The motor to put the top up doesn't work, he said he can't figure outw hy, but you can still manually put it down/up. He also said it could use some new tires, but he isn't going to replace them. (About how much would this cost?)

Anyway I was wondering if this is a good first car (I am 16) and if the price is good/how much would you guys offer for it?

I don't know much about cars..but I like this one and am thinking of asking my parrents to buy it for me. I plan on getting a job this summer and buying my own car, but I really like this one and it seems like a good price. (But again I don't know much.)

Oh yeah and it's a 4 cylinder and he said it gets good gas mileage.

2. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

My bigget concern would be insurance. A 16 y.o. male (I'm assuming male...) with a convertible, sporty vehicle = big $$$. You're better off coming back to that bridge in a few years.

At any rate, I'm not a fan of Ford anything so anything I say on Mustangs is going to be less than good.

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Whoa, hey A_S_G! Long time no see! :howdy:

Don't know enough about cars to tell you really. But yeah, someone will, I'm sure.

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I would not buy it unless you know more about it's history.

Tires may be about $400... not sure what you would get.

What kind of oil has been run in it?

You should have your parents mechanic go over it and drive it before you take a decision.

Honestly, you should wait at least a year before you get your own ride. You need to build up both your experience and knowledge about cars. Don't rush into this. Driving is a huge responsibility.

5. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

Hm yeah I didn't think about insurance rates..I just thought they'd be 'normal' since it is an older car. . .

And yeah I'm a male.

Edit:

Hey DrunkCajun :)

And next year is my senior year....I want a car :lol:

6. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i am sure its nice having a car but as Amra said don't rush it if you ask me

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Being a 16 year old male also looking for a car, I know a little about the insurence. It would be about 110$ to be added onto my mom's van(A FREAKING MINIVAN!) and 120$ to be on my dad's King Ranch(Truck).

So yeah, insurance is a killer. My friend drives a GTO and I can't even imagine what his insurance is like. . .good thing his parents are loaded.

8. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

Well I talked to my mom and she didn't really pay any attention to me..just asked what the best price was on it so far and when I mentioned the tires she left grocery shopping or something :lol:

Well my grandparents said they'd buy me a car so I could ask them...but now you guys are saying not to rush into it. Meh I dunno.

Man I can't wait for the summer so I can get a job. . .

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

OK, I'll say something else.

If you do go ahead and get this car, it may be a good thing. If it's only the 4-banger as you say, you're not really gonna get into much trouble with it. It probably won't even get out of it's own way. Additionally, a car like this is going to need at least minor work along the way, which can make it valuable from a learning standpoint. My first car was a p.o.s., but when all was said and done, I knew my way around a car quite well from having to replace this and that or fix those things or adjust that thing over there.

Either way, insurance rates won't care so much about it's age. You'll pay a lot for it. You'll pay a lot for anything, really. But much more for a Mustang. If insurance will be an issue, avoid it and grab a Tercel or something. Otherwise, when it breaks, be sure to learn what's going on as you fix it. You don't want to "teach yourself" when you've just bought your dream car and it develops a problem.

10. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

11. giantpinkbunnyhead

You drive an Angelfire logo? I don't think he has to worry about that!

12. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

blankness?

13. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

I'd say if you can afford hte insurance gfi!
    Me being an 18yr old male realizes how important it is for a young kid to have they're own car, especially for the summer, and they're senior year!
    I could htink of a couple cars I would rather get then a 4 banging mustang for 2 g's american, but if thats what you want man gfi!
    Cars are really cool to have in highschool, and it makes it alot more fun for the summer, so enjoy your youth my man.

14. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

give it a sec to load.

I reccomend something bigger than a mustang for a first car. find something with some decent metal between you and the road. think four doors, and around 3k. I drove a '90 jeep cherokee back in the day. it was a bit <10 yrs old, and great condition, "low" mileage (for its age) and was a great find. it was 2wd though...weird on a jeep. I loved it and still drive a jeep today(99 grand cherokee). trick is, I was very lucky when i was in an accident, because it was kinda small. trust me. you will get in at least one accident when you're a kid--everyone does, and you want something safe and reliable more than sporty and "cool". a friend of mine had a old school crown vic, the ones with the massive hood, shocks as softer than Krispy Kremes and a trunk the size of idaho. that was the perfect car. plenty of space...nice back seat, and when he got in n accident, the crash was ten feet away.

plus the insureance was cheap.

just something to think about.

oh, and those old school vics are definitely pimp-able

15. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I wouldnt say theres anything wrong with 16 year olds, or any teenagers having cars.(in general, obviously some shouldnt be on the road) Maybe that has to do with where I'm from... Vermont. If you live in a rural area, you basically need a car to get around, or you're always going to have to bum rides off friends or parents, which is annoying and less than practical.

So if you live in a rural area, you will almost definitely find yourself missing a car if you dont have one, if you live in an urban area, its probably different, though I wouldnt know. Of course, if you can afford the insurance money, I wouldnt see that it would hurt to have a car, no matter where you live, and there are plenty of upsides.

Not all teenagers get into accidents... Some of my friends have, some havent (senior in high school), I have not. Thats not to say we dont do our fair share of speeding and whatnot (because we definitely do ;) )

I guess I dont see accidents as a huge problem... I mean, if you drive like a fool, then yeah, you'll get into an accident, but its all about being responsible (with not speeding at stupid times, and being careful and reasonably safe when you do) I guess I'm saying that I speed probably more than I should (both in terms of how fast and how often), but I dont do it at stupid times, like when theres a lot of traffic, through towns, or in areas where the road is in bad shape or is full of curves. Also, driving in vermont, we can get pretty nasty winters, again, its all about being responsible when you're driving. If you drive 10 miles an hour over on the interstate during a snowstorm, you WILL go off the road eventually, but if you take it slow, and pay attention, you'll be fine.

Guess I'm just speaking up from my perspective, being 18, I drive fast, as many kids do, but I also know that many kids, myself included, are good drivers, and are not stupid about how we drive.

If you can handle the responsibility, and the financial end of it, I'd say go for it.

-Matt

16. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

Anything that old won't have that much insurance. And Mustangs have been known to be Ford's best car to have the least problems after leaving the dealer.

Anyway, I would go for it. Convertible for $2k? Why not?

17. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Just the mention of the word "Mustang" will kick your premium up a few bucks....

Mustangs do not have as much metal as other older cars in order to get more performance out of the ride(yours is unfortunetly, is the 4 banger option.) thus is more prone to crumpling or a fatality.

18. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

1) dont force your grandparents to buy a car for you
    2) bikes are great exercise, and they dont have an insurance requirement for legal operation
    3) pick a car that you ( If you must )
    a) can afford
    b) afford to pay all expenses for
    c) arent going to explode into a fireball should it veer off soft pavement.

19. mullenman

mullenman IncGamers Member

Many of you seem slightley misinformed about insurance. Contrary to what many people believe they do ask you what model the car is when you insure it. If it's a 4 cyl. mustang youll probabley get a very cheap price on insurance considering that the car tops out at about 70 mph (if that)

when i insured my car (94 MX-6 LS) they asked me if it was an RS or an LS (LS being the V6 model RS being the inline 4 model) after it was alls aid and done, i asked the insurance woman what the premium on the RS would have been and she said at least $250 less. Considering a 4 cyl mustang is a lot slower and quite a bit safer that a 4 cyl MX-6, i'd say you can get a decent premium.

20. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

which engine the 4.7? Not only will insurance be expensive but the gaz might also cost you a pretty penny.