Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thinking of start my first socress, need opinions.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NSXdreamer, Mar 22, 2004.

1. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Thinking of start my first socress, need opinions.

After found out I have almost perfect version of griffon's eye, that unique eldrich orb, and ormus' robe, I'm thinking of start a lighting socress with firewall as complement. I'm still not sure what skill to use in the lighting tree, and how to distribute skill points and would like some help. Also I would like some suggestions on how to fill the rest of gear, and stats distributions. Any help is appritiated. :)

2. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

i would go with chain light if i was u with fire ball as complement. that is just my opinion since i have on eof the same and she owns decently.

Griffons eye
    Eldritch
    Ormus
    Mage fist
    arachnid or goldwrap
    sojs
    tals ammy or maras or other magic skill one
    lidless
    war travs

i think that is a very good setup for one.

3. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Well i personally like chain lightning. the minimum damage on any lit skill stink, and it does take time to pump them but once you get them up there the damage is great. CL is good because you only really have to aim at one mob and it'll auto target the rest for you, even off screen. It's not so good against single enemies since there's no opportunity for bounce, but against 2+ it can rock.

Nova, in my experience, is just too short ranged and too mana intensive to be much good. I would rather have a maxed frost nova than lightning nova any day.

Thunderstorm is really more of an auxillary (sp?) spell than anything. At early levels it doesn't o a tremendous amount of damage, and takes a hile between "firings". However, at later levels, 15+, damage is very significant (and a really high minimum, it's not just 1 or 2, it's more like 300, don't quote me though), and it'll start firing about once every second or so. Auto aim damage is always good, imho.

Charged bolt, i wouldn't really bother, it's not high damage enough to be of much use in the harder difficulties, more of a novelty to see than anything else.

Of course, the biggest important thing with the lightning tree is getting a few points into lit mastery... one point increases top AND bottom damage 50%! Get it up to about 10, then max your synergies.

Now... I have a comment about a CL/FW sorc... FW is good, but it's not like say Frozen Orb or Blizzard, it won't freeze your enemies. That's why the CL/FO sorc is so popular... FO to freeze or slow down enemies, CL to kill/hurt them. FW/CL the mobs will come at you a little faster... of course if your aim is good with FW you can aim right next to you, and have the mobs walk right down your wall of fire taking damage the whole way... Thunderstorm might be a better one for you as it'll do your supplemental damage, while you concentrate more on aiming your firewalls than worrying about switching.

Just my thoughts.

Naraka

P.S. Perhaps a good merc with some cold-causing damage would be of some use to slow your enemies down...

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Hmm, so there is no need to max the masteries? I still haven't decided which will be my main attack yet though.

5. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

Yes there ia always a definite to max masteries. I would go with either Chain and Orb or Chain and Fire ball. Although if u go with fireball it would cost alot more points to getting to high dmg so then i would go with Orb. but i think it is entirely up to how u feel about the immunes u are gunna deal with.

6. boogied6

boogied6 IncGamers Member

well nsx you have seen my lightning sorc. remember she is pure lightning and let me tell you she is my favorate mfer. remember act bosses have no immunes, nor do baals minions have lightning immunes. imagine doing 5-22000 a lightning bolt and 2-9900 with 13 hits on chain lightning. owns

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I bet this setup would give enormous damage boost but how about resists?

8. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

I agree with lprMan here.. u almost got no resists (or you must have a whole load of resist charms) and without an cold skill there will be no way to slow anything.. You might be able to kill quite a lot in a short while but there are monsters in hell that move so horribly fast you'll definately get swamped before you kill them all.
    I would at surely use orb instead of a fireskill, more so if ure resists are low

but that's just my opinion :)

9. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

*schwarzenegger voice* pff, who needs resists when everything is dead ... */endvoice*

:surprise: i say go for it, might look like a challeging build, but i agree on the res topic, you'll need lotz of charm to pump it atleast a little

robin