Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thinking about writing an SP oriented Zealot guide... ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Borlag, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Thinking about writing an SP oriented Zealot guide...

How many of you feel that there might be a need for one? I've been toying with the idea for few months now, seeing that I've patted 28 different zealots in various patches. I wouldn't want just to create a guide for your average zealot, or for some uber twinked right to the bone zealot, but a guide for the zealot in general. It would list the different zealot variants, elemental zealot, MP zealot, SP zealot, max resist zealot etc, giving hints and build suggestions for all of those, both for the twinked and untinked, and last but not least, for HC.

I believe I'm one of the most experienced zealot players around here, but still I feel that there's lots of things I haven't tried with them. So also I'd want to know the people who have built a zealot that's not just your average build that everyone else is using aswel. Especially if it's built in 1.10, or earlier but does well in this patch.

If this guide would work well, I might take it as far as writing a series of guides for the melee paladin, as zealot isn't the only paladin I'm experienced with. As for hammerdin, there's no need for yet another guide, Ragnarod has been doing superb job with his guide and it works real well for both SP and MP.

2. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Hi,

First of all, nice idea
    The paladin forum has allready a great selection of guides:

Tesladin Guide, by Wurmer
    Zealot Guide, by *Cyrus*
    Frost Zealot Guide, by Kitriara

Avenger Guide, by *Cyrus*

I have not read them all, but this is a big collection of information.

I which way will you be different from these guides ?

Randall

3. Davemetalhead

Davemetalhead IncGamers Member

I'd be interested - tried a hammerdin but couldn't aim the hammers properly, so am interested in a zealot build.

4. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Randall, I know there's all those guides, I've compiled a list of all the guides and read every single guide written there. From my experience 99% of the guides focus on MP gaming and some of the guides even assume that you will be playing with others, thus relying on others to help with certain situations like the Ancients. Also they suggest auras for MP gaming in the basic build, making it kinda silly to build something like that if your going to play SP solely.

These are some of the things that I'd like to focus on with the guide. And also, I'd list all the different variants for the zealot, which is something that none of those guides have. There are alot of stuff missing and they generally list only 1 build, I'd give alot more options explaining what they do and what they don't. Meaning, I wouldn't tell anyone exactly what they need to spend the points in or anything like that.

5. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Hi Borlag,

Ok. Sounds good then. I would like to see such a guide :)

Randall

6. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

With the depth of information that you have, you could write "The Guide to Melee Paladin Variants" and call it something catchy to pull in the readers. Perhaps "Bashing Evil 101" or "Righteous ***-kicking basics" or "Look at my shiny armor while I beat things to death in a vaguely religiously oriented way!" or even "I run funny, but can still swing a mean hurty-stick." :)

As it seems like you'd plan to do, you could explain the basics of the melee paladin, it's strengths and weaknesses, each possible useable pally skill, possible builds, a massive gear section, and then play style for most of the builds, avoiding PvP. That would be lots of work, but you could probably do it without breaking too much of a sweat if you've played such a huge number of pallys. Rereading that, it sounds pretty obvious, so what I mean to say is that you should definitely make a broad melee guide. :D

When writing my MA 'sin guide, I decided that a broad guide made for what seemed to be easier and better reading, since it could be applied so many different ways. And it sounds like you mean to do the same thing: give people the information to make good choices, not just give them a cookie cutter and let them loose at the dough, which is an admirable sentiment. I also felt more fulfilled after writing it, and I assume you'd probably feel the same way from the first post.

But yeah, as the male characters in D2 go, Paladins are the most fun, IMO. My first character in 1.00 was a horrible charge/freezadin. My third char was a zeal/charge/fanat pally. I'm now working on a Tesladin. Anyway, enough rambling. I need to get back to heat transfer study for my exam in, oh, 4 hours. oof.

7. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

*Cyrus*'s Zealot guide is extremely good IMHO, it is well written, and it covers everything that is needed. But if you wish to make one Borlag, I see no reason to do so, even if the 2 zealot guides are similar.

There is very good guide for the build that I'm making, but still I'll write a guide after I Pat him. :D Well, the one that exist is for PvP, so it isn't exactly suitable for PvM...

8. randy

randy IncGamers Member

do it, i for one would be interested in a sp only orientated guide. especially if you do it hc and untwinked, the worst aspect of most guides imho is the assumption that everybody has the desire and will to twink up to the eyeballs, long uber equipment lists just bore me.

9. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

The world can never know two much about zealots and paladins in general.
    Go for it Borlag.

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

yeah i thought off it too, i havnt patted 28 but i think 15 zealots is a great job too :innocent:
    maybe i can help u a little bit, but anywayz it is a great idea
    go for it :thumbsup:

robin

11. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Strij, all help is much appreciated :) Especially if your own zealot isn't the most common build, I seem to recall you use the HF merc with him?

12. strijdje

yup thats true, further is has the best set-up IMO, ow and i am on top of the HC-ladder with a zealot too ^^

my zealot set up is

1.07 eth BotD zerker axe
    Veil of steel (36//15)
    Chains of honor archnon plate
    eth zakarum shield (39 res all) 1002 defense Exile
    highlords ammy
    Dracul's grasp or Laying of Hands (depends on the situation)
    Rare ring with, 7 LL, 6 ML, 18 FR, 21 CR, 26 LR, 20 to Strenght and 39 to AR (i know :teeth: )
    Ravenfrost
    Gore riders

Upgraded Thundergods Visor

switch: azurewrath and herald of zakarum... in my stash i have a enigma breast plate (so all my chars can use it due to the low req) ptopaz shako, dual isted ali baba and a rhyme pally shield for mf runs... together with a buriza cause u never know when u migt need a cheese canon :wink: )

i have 6 offensive pally skillers with various 20~33 life as second mod, and 1 combat skiller with 21 life... small charms are almost all 19 or 20 to life with res or mf as second mod

my merc (HF, lvl 91 )uses a
    Ethereal shaftshop (umed)
    Vampire gaze (15 ias)
    Eth Tomb reaver (15% ed from perfect, 73% mf and 40 res to all i believe) socket with a ohm, sheal and #3 slot open for another ohm or ...)

I know, this is quite sick, but i cost me alot of time and effort in trading, the eth shaft and tomb were personnaly found, the botd story i have told a couple of times and the runes for CoH were selffound too (1.09 cow lvls and 1.10 Hephasto runs)

just too prove Zealots are awesome, i have a untwinked zealot guardian currently at lvl 89, i admit, he had some luck with his finds but still, even in HC it is quite difficult for a melee char too survive IM and other boss//champ packs.

robin

13. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Few things I'd like to know exactly right as these will be used as reference in multiple places...

Dexterity required for max block table, with various HS lvls, different shields and with/without the other block% boosters such as Twitch, GA etc.

AR required for average of 75% to hit an average lvl act1, 2, 3, 4 monster in all difficulties on average levels upon entering the said act. Also for later lvls for the mlvl85 monsters.

Zeal speed tables and/or calculators, are the ones on the site correct? And also speed tables for other attack modes, mainly vengeance.

Plus any other statistic side information I forgot to request :p

edit: Strij, I'd disagree on that being the perfect setup but that's just me ;) I prefer Wisp Projector as the second ring, no need for more steals with the BotD...but anyway, not going to do the guide for just the richest or like most of the "guides" that assume that since the realms had the duping spree that everyone and his gramma has an access to atleast 10 BotDs and Enigmas...*sigh*

14. strijdje

well, once i get my compu back i will make some 90's for testing, equip them with a herald of zakarum, stormshield or some random shields etc and will look at the dex needed for 75% block with HS lvl 1-5-15-20... i'll mail you the results

robin

15. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement IncGamers Member

Hi Borlag!

I say go for it! When you get around to putting it together, please include low and mid-level gear suggestions, for those that who don’t have much paladin experience (like me!) I am struggling with gear decisions on my L21 hammerdin, so that is especially poignant right now.

And if you need an editor, I would be happy to do so, if you are interested. (But no worries if not!)

Go get ‘em!

Dave

16. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

umm, it'd be more useful to concentrate on the dex required on lvl80-90...as that's more reasonable thing to expect from SC characters... As for HC, can't expect them to find HoZ etc so no point in going into much details on that suggestion. In SC you can do as much runs as you want to it's safe to assume everyone can get everything eventually :p

Though like I said...this wont be a list for the perfect builds...no such thing really, everyone has their own playing style and preferences on their guys, I'll try to cover them all (ambitious yea, I know, that's the whole idea).

As for now...I have to run to a meeting about completely different guides...ones for computer networking, Windows 2003 server, setting up Linux servers etc...

For those who don't know, I do books and hold courses about those for living :p

edit: Dave, not sure what you mean but if it's character editor, then I believe I wont be needing one... As for that gear, I'll list atleast a dozen of the uber equipment variations (not just changing an item or two, nearly whole setup) and I'll strive for doing the same with the more common items. Along with those I'll try to include a list of options to create your own compelte setup.

17. luskan

luskan IncGamers Member

Any guide geared toward SP would be most appreciated. Some people like the no-twink option, other like to twink to the max. Perhaps you could include both? Also please don't neglect the first 30 or so levels and normal difficulty. I find most guides lacking in this department, and being a new SP player any tips that can get me to act 4 as quickly as possible with your build is greatly appreciated. I find the first three acts are tedious at best, but when I hit act 4 normal I start enjoying the game a lot more.

18. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I'll try to cover all areas of the game as well as I can, especially all possible problematic areas, whether it's because of equipment or for other possible reasons. And you're not the only one who hates the so called guides that look more like a list of items most people only dream of (even though I have most good stuff myself, I still hate guides like that). Sure they can be listed but a more realistic approach is much more useful.

19. Lotek-Crask

Lotek-Crask IncGamers Member

My fav zealot build is Ranger/Zeal, something I nicknamed "The Seal"(In referance to the Navy Seals for there power in close, or ranged combat) Damage with bow is Secondary Zeal primary. Using a decent bow, damage is great!

20. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

heh would you call my zealot a seal then as he has Buriza as a switch against IM?