Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thinking about hardcore..

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Regin, May 11, 2005.

1. Regin

Regin IncGamers Member

Thinking about hardcore..

I've been gone from Diablo 2 for about a year and a half now and I just now got the urge to start playing again. I've never tried hardcore mode before, and I thought it might be interesting to play. I just have a question before I start.

Will I be able to play HC mode solo? At least for normal and nightmare diff? Or are there some monsters that are simply unwise to take on alone .. the little skeleton guys from act 3 come to mind.. Not that I couldn't fight them without dying before, but they did do massive amounts of damage.

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Normal and NM can definitely be soloed. Even Hell can to a certain degree with the right items....and you can still join a nice group like KTA. Public game are PK city these days....

Skellymancers are quiet safe to play, though I predict Duriel to be quiet a challenge in normal.

3. drinkturps

drinkturps IncGamers Member

Duriel is a tricky one but if you can shop in Act1 for some +3 Raise Skeleton Wands and Clay Golem you should be ok. Sell as much gear as you can to get a healthy gold pool. When you get to Duriel make sure you are level 24 and have got decripify. I did it with my Skellymancer although I did need to TP out of the chamber to raise a few more bodies on two occasions. Keep you Clay Golem up at all times and keep on decripfying him.

It's one of the most challenging battles a Skellymancer has in his career.

You could always try a public game, you may be lucky, but as det says it's pretty much PK city these days.

Enjoy.

4. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Yep - second only to normal Diablo. A real pain that one ...

DelBoy

5. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

and the almighty annoying maggot lair not to be forgotten

6. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

-DON'T kill an FE boss while it's standing anywhere near you in NM. Especially not if it's part of the council in A3 or one of the ancients. If it's the ancients just respawn. Bartuc and Lister can be bad too.

-Dolls aren't too bad until hell, especially if you can avoid killing large amounts of ones that are on top of you

-Other than that most builds can solo NM with no problems, some builds can do hell with some problems. If you farm pgems in cows, norm or NM, you should be able to trade for enough gear to be able to do hell with any cookie cutter sorc/javazon/hammerdin/etc. If you want to play untwinked trappers and skellimancers are your best bets for soloing hell.

7. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Seriously, make a trapsin.

Normal and NM with 0 problems.

Win, win, win.

I've had 2 hc trapsins that were unstoppable (1.09, 1.10). Became my mf characters eventually. Ran Hell Eld/Shenk/Pindle with ease.

8. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Very true. Especially in hell, with a stone skinned, immune to physical boss that gets amped over and over again, can only be attacked by at most 2 skellies and keeps chickening (i.e. burrowing underground for a while) to regenerate.

Speak about boring ...

DelBoy

ps - I know I could just run over it when it burrows, but after a while it becomes a matter of principle to kill the bugger. I don't want to reward this kind of behaviour :))

9. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

2 months ago, I solo'ed another necro (lvl 77 -> ended with 83) through Hell on HCL. It took me a whole Sunday.

I had nothing to twink him b/c I had just restarted to play d2 after all my accts were gone. He wore a goethic plate with +85 (or 50?) life, socketed with 4 p-topezes, in that nonstop solo game. Maggot's Lair took me less than 1 hour (lucky this time). Chaos took me over 1 hr (it felt like 80% of the curses received were IM), though killing Diablo felt like an easiest thing to do in Hell. He almost died in one of the Act3 temples (not the Ruined Temp, though he was surrouned at that entrance too): I exited the game and rejoined. That was the only time that he was close to dying.

BTW, he has no investment in dex, about 300 defense, 2% blocking with a crappy head that adds +1 to necro skill.

I enjoyed playing, but was so bored after it was done that I left HC shortly after.

As long as you were familiar with d2, you should be able to play any of your favorite in HC. Not too different other than 3 things:

- watch out for lagging
    - watch out for PK in public games
    - try to stay alive at all costs (hard to do, but at least try)

10. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

In NM act3 durance lvl 2, it was my recent xp that my fully twinked rushing sorc with 45% dmg reduce lost 100s of hit pts when her merc 1-jab killed a doll while she was tele'ing through the doll pack. Hell dolls are fine so far, because I am alwasy very careful there in Hell.

Sry, I guess I just had to mention that.