Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thinking about going Hardcore(and beating hell baal)

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Coldsmoke, May 22, 2008.

1. Coldsmoke

Coldsmoke IncGamers Member

Thinking about going Hardcore(and beating hell baal)

I never done hc before, but I'm thinking about trying it with a sorc.
    Now I want a bit of a challenge so I was thinking:
    Normal- Only light skills
    Nightmare- Only Cold skills
    Hell- Only fire skills

And to top it of I'm only gonna use items witch have 3 numbers 6 in them or more. Example: Sword: 6-16damage 26 dura, or ring 66 to mana 6%ll.
    Merc also needs 666items.

I will call her...Doughter of Diablo

You think it's possible to beat the game this way?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Re: yhnking about going Hardcore(and beating hell baal)

Maybe :scratch:

Dunno :scratch:

On afterthought - maybe :scratch:

3. Coldsmoke

Re: yhnking about going Hardcore(and beating hell baal)

I'm also planning single pass full clears. What would be best then? players1 or players8?
    I'm not gonna switch playr setting in nm or hell, so it's either 1 or 8.

4. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Re: Thinking about going Hardcore(and beating hell baal)

No. Do it with a reasonably powerful character first so you can die and see how you like it. If it was fun and not challenging, then try making it more challenging.

If you're not going to have changing the players setting between difficulties an option then it's got to be /players 1. You will rip your hair out trying to keep that untwinked merc alive long enough to kill the first Fire Immune boss pack you come across in Hell on /players 8, and by the time you run out of gold due to reviving him the boss will still be alive and regenerating health quickly.

-hps

5. Coldsmoke

I can enchant him and myself and use some bow on switch.
    And I really want a challenge.
    If I use a strong char I'm getting sloppy becouse it's to much like sc and die becouse of some stupid mistake anyways

6. dyolf

dyolf IncGamers Member

you will die anyway, most of us did, at least.

7. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

So your solution to Fire Immunes in hell is what?

I'm not sure I understand, maybe you're only going to put points in fire skills in hell but can use any, but otherwise you're probably in trouble (No Tele/Static/EShield/Armor in Hell or Warmth before). If you do full clears on anything higher than players 1 you can expect to be 70+ entering Hell, which means you'll probably have something in the range of 10-15 skill points to spend on fire skills which will be your killers in hell and will need to get your first level in hell to even be able to get any fire skills simply by leeching off your merc. Not a system I particularly envy.

You say you can only use Fire skills in Hell, which I guess is somewhat better than only using Cold (or the first pack of Obliv knights would kill you) but that leaves you only your merc as a solution to Fire Immunes. I did love the comment about chanting him and yourself and using a bow to deal with fire immunes though.

Not trying to be mean, just pointing out some flaws.

Cheers
    -Tai

8. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I didn't say use a strong character, I said "Do it with a reasonably powerful character first." I don't have anything against your thirst for a challenge, but the scenery you're setting up for yourself isn't a challenge, it's just loco. You're setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment, neither are great ways to introduce yourself to HC.

Assuming you don't die to a silly mistake, you will make it through norm alright with an underpowered lightning skill (because you are trying to save skill points), If you can get enough points into Orb soon enough you will clobber NM, but like Tai said, will you be allowed to teleport?

Then you will reach Hell and come to a screeching halt. You will be frustrated that your merc is constantly dead and that he isn't around to help kill the FIs. You will be frustrated that your Fireskill is drasticly underpowered and you struggle to kill none FI monsters. You will be frustrated by the fact that your gear is terrible, (because it would be terrible if you played single pass untwinked even without the 666 rule you're talking about). At this point you will either:
    a) Say "HC sucks" and give up. or;
    b) Play hard and foolishly in order to make headway, which will put you at risk of dieing, and when you die you will say "HC sucks" and give up.

Pick a character that has the ability to deal with Immunities in Hell without relying on the merc so heavily. Make it a character that you enjoy playing, and one that would be relatively powerful if twinked to the gills. They play that character single pass untwinked and you will get the challenge you want, but have the possibility to succeed. This way you will:
    a) die, and say "damn, but that was fun! I'm gonna make another!" or;
    b) succeed and say "Hey guys, I made it to Guardian! Woot!! It was hard as hell, but I did it. I'm gonna make another!"

-hps

9. prion

prion IncGamers Member

or alternately, follow your rules but do it in softcore.